PDA

View Full Version : how old were you?

sparkyice
19-07-2008, 10:27 PM
how old were you when you caught your first fish?
what do you remember most about it?

i caught a bluegill on a canepole when i was just a toddler.:D i was so young i don't know how old i was, probably not much nore than 2 or so. i remember my dad placed me so i had my legs on either side of the railing post on my grandads patio on the lake, and i had to reach through the railings to hold the pole.

i think by 5 i was using spinning gear, and helping to clean the fish.

Xahn1960
19-07-2008, 10:47 PM
About 8 yrs old, fishing on the Murray with my grandfather.. Don't remember the fish but I do remember losing his favourite lure to a snag :)

Bill.

CHAPPY
20-07-2008, 07:02 AM
1949 Plantation creek , Ayr North Queensland, at 4 to 5 years old I caught a Shovel-Nosed shark on my trusty little tubular steel rod and small sidecast reel loaded with green chord line.

I knew I had something so I turned around , put the rod over my shoulder and took off up the beach. And the strange thing is, I have never caught one of them since.

Chappy.

Gorms83
20-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Funny story from my first time fishing @ Abotsford Wharf.

I was about 6, on a wharf with my Grandfather using a handline. I was getting a few bites, so id bring the line in to check if my bait was gone.

My Grandfather thought i was checking it too often and asked that i just leave it for a while and give the fish a chance to take the bait.

I didnt get a bite for an half an hour, it was killing me, i just wanted to bring it in and put a fresh prawn on, but i had to leave it.

Anyway finally he said ok, you can check your bait, its been a while. I went to bring it in, but the Prawn wasnt even in the water. It was sitting on a plank of wood below which was part of the Wharf- getting eaten by Ants.

1 min later i caught my first Tailor.

aus2045
20-07-2008, 12:34 PM
It was 1977, I was 4 or 5, was out with the family in dads boat on the pumistone passage near toorbul, after seeing several tailor landed, i begged dad to let me hold a rod. He gave in and passed me his favorite solid glass JW Rod with bakelite alvey reel, 10 seconds later i had a huge bite and the rod was pulled from my hands disapearing into the depths never to be seen again. Lets just say my dad was not to happy.

Horse
20-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I was 4 when my late Grandfather put a worm on his cane fly fishing outfit and I pulled in a small Trout from a Scottish river

The Phantom
20-07-2008, 06:46 PM
8/9 years old, (1959). Catching Mullett with handlines from old wharves on the Brisbane River.
After that about 10 years old, catching trout in Lake Eucumbene.

BREEZE470
20-07-2008, 06:47 PM
37 & 1mth .... Fishing on the Jillian out of Airlie Beach

Caught a Coral Trout and instantly became addicted to this thing called 'fishing';D

Captain Seaweed
20-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Well Fellas,
I am only 30 but I am sure many can relate to this one. My old man did take myself and my brother fishing to Fisherman Islands when it had a jetty out into the river. This was our favourite fishing spot. I have pics of some big bream from there, and I am sure water quality was worse then but still it was our little spot an I loved it. I was 11 and my brother was 9.
Marty

RAT-KING
20-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I dont know if it was my first fish but it definately was the first i can remember I was 4-5yrs old in a 6ft boat fishing with my father and caught a double header of an australian salmon and a puffer fish it snapped my new rod! but landed them both since then ive bn hooked!!
Cheers Simon

Tassie JR
20-07-2008, 07:39 PM
i would have to say when i was 4 think i caught a flounder or something, after that i had a break till i was 13 and since then ive been going offshore every calm weekend i can.

cheers tassie JR

Cammy
20-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Twas my 5th birthday and caught a stinky old carp in canberra.

Cam

BREEZE470
20-07-2008, 09:12 PM
I may have left my run till late but am certainly getting the kids involved.

My youngest daughter is was 3 in June and caught her first fish about 2 weeks before her birthday.

My son is 6 and caught his first fish a few weeks ago whilst on holidays at Nanna's house in Yamba and

My eldest daughter, 13yrs is yet to go fishing but we'll be rectifying that situation in the next couple of weeks :)

Think my hubby was only 4 or 5 too - he grew up on the Northen Beachs of Cairns and pretty much lived on the water .. (well 50mtrs from it)

slyman
20-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I grew up in Northern Ireland, lived there until I was 9. First went fishing with my dad and his brothers, we lived in a harbour town called Larne and the first fish I caught was a plaice, which is like the flounder here, very tasty. I was probably 6 or 7.

roz
20-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I was about 5 or 6. Have posted this pic before so any excuse will do.

I even wore my Dad's fishing hat in the photo. I also made the rod in the pic!!! (stick with line tied at the tip)

r.

el_carpo
21-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Yep, a bluegill on a canepole for me too Sparkyice. Great little fighters. Got my brothers and me hooked for life.

saphire
21-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I was about 8 years of age. I was with my dad on the old cement, rock jetty near the wading pool at Wynnum. I landed a puffer fish. I thought it was going to explode. Thank god dad was there to take it off the hook and calm me down. I also remember making a fishing line from a coke bottle with line wraped around the centre of it. The bottle was a good shape for this use.
I would not encourage this now as it would not be safe or environmentally friendly if the bottle was to break on the jetty.
Best wishes,
Coralee.

Little grey men
21-07-2008, 11:21 AM
nice hat Roz :thumbsup:

Dirtysanchez
21-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Yes, that is a beaut Hat Roz, do you still have it ? ;D

1st time for me I was about 6 I think.. Dad used to row out in an old wooden clinker from Long Jetty in NSW and catch prawns all night long. Occasionally he would take my brother and I out the next day for a fish in the boat. I was amazed at how nice it felt to be on the water, I just can't sake the feeling of wanting to be out there, even now.

Anyway, old cork handline, and a prawn, and like the other post, I kept pulling it in to check it.. Half way up one time, with dad telling me to stop bringing it in, the line got really heavy, so he encouarged me to gently pull it in.. It was a pretty big Flatty, which went home because Mum loves them :D

I still have the hand lines BTW.. When he gave me his tinny before he passed away he gave me his old fishing bag, and it had his collection of river fishing gear, including the hand lines.

Good on ya Dad

Scott nthQld
21-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I can't remember how old or what my first fish was....I've been fishing pretty much since the day I was born. But the first fish I remember catching was a whiting (undersize), I was 3-4 and I was so distraught that it had to go back ( I'd been watching my dad and granddad pulling in fish and putting them in the esky), I stopped fishing, having a sulk until 1/2 an hour later I was begging dad to bait my hook again.

BREEZE470
21-07-2008, 01:24 PM
You're all lifers :) .... is there nobody else who was older :(

Scott nthQld
21-07-2008, 01:30 PM
nope looks like you're the only late bloomer here....lol

BREEZE470
21-07-2008, 01:33 PM
nope looks like you're the only late bloomer here....lol

:'( Oh well .. seems like I've come to the right place to accumulate opinions and pluck from the experience of others.

Vrottes
22-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Started fishing in 1969 with my dad and grandad, cannot remember much of the first fish I ever caught though, but I do remember the allnighters, getting shoved into a corn bag when it got cold and I got tired, something which I do with my 9 year old son nowadays! Myy son caucght his first lesser sand shark unaided at the age of three and his first edible at the age of four. He is now at 9 an accomplished angler and have caught Smooth hound sharks of 15kilo's already! A mean feat, seeing that the fish was bigger than himself!

blackjack
27-07-2008, 11:34 AM
can't remember the first time I really caught my own fish. my daddy used to let me think i had caught one - he'd hook a tiddler then hand me the line and i'd feel something, get very excited and pull in a fish!?!? don't know how long it took me to work that one out! probably ages...

i can remember trapping little poddy mullet at the front of poppa's house by placing bread into an old oyster jar, long and skinny, then jumping for joy when a little fish swam in. put 'im in a bucket...

good memories. ;) blackjenny

JIMBO99
27-07-2008, 01:34 PM
jimbo99. I Was Two (just) And I Remember It Like Yesterday I Caught A Squire Off Empire Point Between Wellington Point And Cleveland. My Dad Was A Pro. Fisherman And Tied Me Into The Boat With A Rope And Just As Well Because I Fell Overboard Just After Catching The Squire I Got 4 Squire First Time Up, Those Days Trere Were A Few Squire About Mate.

Tropicaltrout
27-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I was 4 years old 1983 too a 3 pound brown lake sorell late in the season, I remember running to tell mum with the fish on my finger after dad had cleaned it.

Since then I have never stopped, I just can't wait till the next cast.....

Nath

paddo
27-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Cripes! Fancy trying to remember your first fish from my ancient perspective. Anyhow I can recall fishing for poddy mullet from the bridge over the stormwater channel in Rushcutters Bay Park when I was four years old in 1939. My mother felt I was ready for the big stuff after this and took me to Watsons Bay wharf where I fished for yellowtail through the cracks. I nearly fell in when a small school of tuna swept through under the wharf. I'll bet you don't see that happening these days.

roz
28-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes, that is a beaut Hat Roz, do you still have it ? ;D

1st time for me I was about 6 I think.. Dad used to row out in an old wooden clinker from Long Jetty in NSW and catch prawns all night long. Occasionally he would take my brother and I out the next day for a fish in the boat. I was amazed at how nice it felt to be on the water, I just can't sake the feeling of wanting to be out there, even now.

Anyway, old cork handline, and a prawn, and like the other post, I kept pulling it in to check it.. Half way up one time, with dad telling me to stop bringing it in, the line got really heavy, so he encouarged me to gently pull it in.. It was a pretty big Flatty, which went home because Mum loves them :D

I still have the hand lines BTW.. When he gave me his tinny before he passed away he gave me his old fishing bag, and it had his collection of river fishing gear, including the hand lines.

Good on ya Dad

I really wish I had that hat now as I lost my Dad back in March. Will always have the memories.

Thanks for noticing:)

roz