PDA

View Full Version : speed limits

Razgo-
19-07-2008, 08:10 PM
What is the rule for speed limits when passing each other underway?

I know its 6 knots when the other boat is moored or anchored and within 30m as finding references here http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Waterways/Speed_limits/

But having trouble finding reference to speed limits when passing each other.

Also is it unlimited at the seaway? no one seems to care at all on the seaway from what I have observed in both directions.

thanks.

udlman
19-07-2008, 08:42 PM
AFAIK, there is no speed limit when passing, you just have to do it safely.

Seaway is limited to 40kn. Same as whole southern bay from Peel South.

Brad.

tigermullet
19-07-2008, 09:19 PM
That's right - no speed limits for passing or overtaking, just a general requirement that it be done safely and must be not more than the speed allowed in speed restricted areas.

The new areas and limits are on the MSQ site but I guess you have seen those.

Jet skis excluded, of course - they go anywhere at anytime at any speed unless they fetch up on a sandbank, riverbank, beach, person or boat.;D

I'm not bitter, just jealous. My old clunker might achieve 6 knots if running with the tide and a forty knot tail wind.

Razgo-
20-07-2008, 07:01 AM
That's what seemed confusing to me. according to the PDF doc its all 6 knots everywhere.

Yes i often see jetskis rip down near the rock wall where all the fishing lnes are at huge speeds. there is no room for erra when they do that.

moater
20-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Re jetskiers,always room for casting a heavy sinker or an old metal lure..hang on!;D

MarkDiver
20-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I think what's more important is the person overtaking to be cautious?! I find it more difficult to overtake especially not knowing what the person infront is going to do - once experiened the person infront who decided to start veering in my direction and I was caught between him and the rocks! It would have been a perfectly safe pass however it turned out to be a really dangerous 'near hit'! It was a mate too who just wasn't away of anyone around him. I was also to blame. The other thing is speeding past anchored vessels, especially smaller boats while fishing - that's just disrespectful!