PDA

View Full Version : Rod to match a Daiwa Luna 203?

Bubba Gump
18-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I am buying a rod/reel combo as a gift for a family member who is going to be travelling around the north of Australia. He is pretty well off and has all the game tackle you could need, so I thought what about a nice Barra combo. I have purchased a Daiwa Luna 203 as the reel (with 30lb braid) and would like to hear what rods might be a good match? Any info would be much appreciated.

BG

Rockfish
20-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi There,

i have the predecessor to the Luna 203, the CVZ203. Great reels for chasing barra! As far as rods go it really depends upon price point, style of fishing etc. Having said that the Shimano t-curve is a great rod in the 6-8 or the 6-10Kg model for barra. Also the Daiwa advantage range in the 6' model 10-20 or 12-25lb models are supposed to be great. The there is the loomis range: GL3665/724, IMX724 for a few more dollars. OR the highly respected custom made EGrell Bear range of rods including the B6-6 (perfect rod) or B8-6 around the same price as the Loomis but considered by many to be superior.

When matching to a good reel make sure you pay for a good rod like those listed about.

hope this helps
Personally i've got 3 t-curves and will be looking at purchasing the EGrell B6-6 before this year is out.

BtotheM
20-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Mate an awesome rod to fit the reel is a Live Fibre Territory Barra 8 kg but make sure you get the rod with the curved end handle (you will know it when you see it) i run this combo and it just come back from up north

Bubba Gump
20-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Cheers Rockfish,

How does the Tcurve Flight 601 Barra compare to the Tcurve Tournament Barra?

Rockfish
20-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Cheers Rockfish,

How does the Tcurve Flight 601 Barra compare to the Tcurve Tournament Barra?

No worries,
the t-curve flight is made with lighter titanium recoil guides and the 'over under' style bindings and a different (improved) reel seat. It will cast slightly better and weigh slightly less and have a crisper action. Just more money.

BOTH are GREAT rods and i recommend both very strongly. Best just to take the reel down to the local tackle shop and check for balance, one may be superior???

I chose the Tournament barra as i could not justify much of a noticeable difference.

Cheers
Rockfish

NAGG
20-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Bubba ..... Since you've just had a look at the Loomis web site ..... a IMX MBR785C would fit the bill nicely:P ....... Landed at a fair bit cheaper than any decent competitive rod !

Nagg

Bubba Gump
20-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Cheers mate,

Just having a lttle look now.

Now what do I get as the 2nd rod!!!