PDA

View Full Version : What has Gender got to do with it????

roz
18-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Been tossing this idea for a topic around for a long time, however I've always chickened out for fear of copping a flogging. Well, I'm feeling a bit brave tonight.... tomorrow might be a different story.

My view on fishing comps and clubs is one of all things should be equal.

Why should there have to be a male champion and a female champion when it comes to angling clubs and comps... Why not just champion angler??

I really don't see fishing as a sport that needs this type of divide. I will concede that males are generally physically stronger than females, but this usually has nothing to do with landing big fish, it's more a matter of endurance and skill rather than brute strength.

I can speak from personal exerience, there is not much joy or merit in taking out a Best Female Angler trophy when you're only one of three or four females in a club of around 40 odd. I think this should also apply to junior anglers.

There are also Female Only comps run from time to time. In your view is this the way to help more females take up the sport of fishing???? Is that fair???? Particularly when there is almost always a male driving the boat.

On the other hand, if there were male only comps there would be an out cry.

I would be very interested to hear views from both sides.

r.

TimiBoy
18-07-2008, 09:23 PM
We men are all scared of you. Actually I agree with you on this, Roz. Practically speaking, what the hell is the difference? It's not tennis, is it? Indeed if you tried to enter a men's comp and they denied you, I think they'd be on thin ice.

Power to the Chickies!!!!

Cheers,

Tim

Kleyny
18-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Here here

neil

MeePee_99
18-07-2008, 09:24 PM
In my opion the male and female thing is to "give the females a chance" in that a male fisherman fishers alot more than females and know a lot more techniques and info (there are alot more males on this site than females and therefore arent open to as much info, so in theory males have an advantage over females (although in many cases females catch more)!!!

mik01
18-07-2008, 09:44 PM
is it more to do with the fact that many more men fish and take it more seriously than most women? ie some women who enter comps may just do it cos they accompany their blokes out for the day and don't classify themselves as serious fisho's?? therefore they start with a handicap?

i dunno - just a guess?

mik01
18-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Roz - could you request to be judged in the men's division, ala Michelle Wie? If you want to mix it with the blokes you should be able to

Black_Rat
18-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Roz,

IMO I can't see a deliberate divide :)

With a competition there has to be groups for fairness. Male - Female, boat - shore based, under x age, over x age ::) yadda ... yadda .................

There is almost in most comps a biggest "one" that does not judge on looks, race gender or age (I hope :-[ )

So if I make sence i've lost a beer ;D

Damo

Dick Pasfield
18-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I can think of one reason from a club perspective and I employ it in a club situation (non fishing and mostly jnrs). The more categories you create the more awards you can give. Best male snr, best male jnr best female snr best female jnr.

Remember that the award should be about acknowledging skill development as well as the luck on the day. So creating categories shares that acknowledgment around as much as possible.

Unfortunately I think that it's lost on many people and the process often takes on a look being patronising by those who don't understand the underlying strategy.

Done for the right reasons everyone shares, dojne for the wrong reasons and its demeaning.

Greg P
18-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Agree with Miko - just more to do with participation rates than anything else

Outsider1
18-07-2008, 10:26 PM
In my opion the male and female thing is to "give the females a chance" in that a male fisherman fishers alot more than females and know a lot more techniques and info (there are alot more males on this site than females and therefore arent open to as much info, so in theory males have an advantage over females (although in many cases females catch more)!!!

Jezz young fella you really do own a big shovel!.

LOL.

Cheers

Dave

ronnien
18-07-2008, 10:34 PM
as well as a male & female winner why not have an overall winner as well be it male or female, anyway if u can catch fish you are welcome in my boat any time.

ron.

Xahn1960
18-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I don't know if I'd ever want to compete with women, my wife can out fish me any day of the week. If she didn't need someone to drive the boat I'd probably get left behind. They should keep things the way they are ! theres only so much the male ego can take :)

Bill.

sleepygreg
19-07-2008, 01:39 AM
winner of this years 8kg Redcliffe Billfish Tournament was female. Our clubs overall champion is not based on Gender....just on best fish/most points. There are also the male/female/junior boy/junior girl sections...but overall winner is non gender/age related. I would think most Gamefishing and Sportfishing clubs would have similar recognition.

Cheers

Greg (Moreton Bay Boat Club Game/Sportfish Section)

PS : more power to the girls..our recent Ladies Billfish Tournament was a huge success with 14 boats and 40 Lady anglers having a great time and catching some Quality fish.

bushbeachboy
19-07-2008, 07:41 AM
There are also Female Only comps run from time to time. In your view is this the way to help more females take up the sport of fishing???? Is that fair???? Particularly when there is almost always a male driving the boat.

Roz I like the idea of female only comps as a way to get more women to get into fishing. From my perspective, if that was to help get my wife into fishing I would be stoked. Then there is the added bonus of more time on the water, possibly some trips away for comps - look at that one they hold in the NT every year - getting to meet more people and have more fun, all together with my partner. So yes I support the idea.

Cheers

BBB

choppa
19-07-2008, 08:04 AM
if my darling wife wanted to come fishing with the ""boys"" it would be great for a couple reasons,,,,,,
1... excuse to get a bigger boat
2... someone handy to throw a coldie every now and then
3... a helping hand to wash n clean it after

mmmmmmmm

choppa

MeePee_99
19-07-2008, 08:13 AM
But in a Proper comp (like the abt) it doesnt matter if your male or female they count as one!!!!!!

the gecko
19-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Sounds like your getting plenty of support roz, Im behind you too.

So which comps are discriminating? I thought most comps would accept you side by side to the men.

As another thought, what do you think should happen to women like my wife who only fish a few times a year? would they be more encouraged by getting a best female award in a comp, or more discouraged if they had to compete 'open'?

Sure, gender has nothing to do with fishing abilities, but its not just a simple question of your own ability to compete on equal terms. Whats best for the sport? How do you encourage beginners?

I think you should at least have the option of nominating yourself in the Open division. Im sure youd outfish me.

Andrew

Whitto
19-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Gender should never be an issue, equal opportunity, Try segregating in the work force and see how far u get.....If Lady's and Girls wish to compete there is no reasonable reason that prevents them from doing so.........Keep flying the Flag Roz your on the right track....Whitto

Nic
19-07-2008, 12:21 PM
I do know what you mean Roz with the patronizing thing... anyone would think we were all cripples who couldn't fish to save ourselves. The number of times I hear the incredulous comment "Oh, so you fish then?" at the tackle trade show... I don't see any of my male colleagues get asked that, EVER.

However, if creating a separate women's category in comps helps to get more women to fish, that's a good thing. Some women might be intimidated otherwise, which would be a pity. And they still have a shot at the Champion Angler Overall.

My mum tells of the days when it was free for women to get a tertiary education, to help kickstart some equality in that respect. When the sex ratio balanced out, the government stopped the incentive. Perhaps that will eventually happen with most fishing comps ending up like the ABT circuit? I notice more dads taking their little girls fishing these days, which bodes well for the future.

Good topic though, it's quite thought-provoking.

peterbo3
19-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Can't see why there is a need to run separate comps. Fishing is a combination of skill & good fortune, not strength.

danryan75
19-07-2008, 02:13 PM
ok heres how i see it. should be all 1 comp not divided between male and female. and when it is seperate females should not be able to be judged as a part of the male division unless the fellas can request to be a part of the female division. just for fairness.

Nic
19-07-2008, 02:14 PM
To go off on a slight tangent, I reckon that women's fishing mag was a hair-brained concept. What could women possibly want to read in a fishing mag that's female-specific? Maybe info on where to buy women's fishing shirts or those fugly hot pink rods, that's it... unless you count reports on the female-only comps, but you can read about those elsewhere.

By the same token we should have female cycling mags or skiing mags... it makes no sense IMO.

mookyandlumpy
19-07-2008, 03:15 PM
is there any info on the female/ male ratio in recreational fishing ,???

banshee
19-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I was in a deep sea club for a number of years which had both male and female champions as well as juniors,to be honest/blunt if it weren't for the female catagory they would not have got a look in on presentation night as in an overall pointscore nearly all finished at the bottom of the field even when fishing out of some of the better producing boats,they (probably 15% of total participants) were quite happy with the set up and if it weren't for the catagory I dare say a lot wouldn't be as keen.

MeePee_99
19-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Woman on average fish way, way less than men. I reckon they should all be one (like the abt) works fine for that!!!!!

Bear001
19-07-2008, 05:32 PM
I cant agree more with Roz & Nic on the way people (read: MEN) carry on when they find out I fish, and own a boat - AND go fishing by myself 90% of the time.

Very patronisong! Usually just shut my mouth & do my own thing.

Not being in an area for serious comps - here is my 2 bobs worth - I think social fishing clubs create the most categories they can to encourage families to participate, which can only be a good thing. That being said, I do agree that in a more serious competiton that it is unnecessary for the mens/womens to be separate.

bigjimg
19-07-2008, 07:48 PM
On charters where women came along it was often the case that the sheilas outfished the blokes.Absolutely no reason for the separation of gender.Sing it loud Roz.Jim

Horse
19-07-2008, 08:12 PM
We don't discriminate in Ausfish M&G's. Each person is equal and thats how it should be. Give the juniors a bit of incentive and leave it at that
Roz, maybe the boys are going to try to push you into the ladies category for the 1770 cook off;D

Neil

BREEZE470
19-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Maybe info on where to buy women's fishing shirts or those fugly hot pink rods, that's it...

Apologises for being OT :
I am a SERIOUS girly girl, exessively NEW to fishing & boating and I take offense to your statement above ... I have 2 aparently fugly hot pink rods & I have 2 equally fugly Okuma Pink/Silver reels, Pink Okuma & Shimano caps oh and not to mention my pink Mad Keen shirt & my newly aquired pink rain jacket (purchased from a fishing shop) ... These products actually encourage quite a few women to join in this sport.

I also just spent $5000 buying MY first little 14ft runabout to learn with and an array of other rods/reels to cover most requirements. (Not Big $$$$ but hell, I own 6 rods in total now - not bad for someone who went fishing for the very first time in April of this year)

Back to the topic:
Gender seperation for these comps, to someone who has never been in one, seems alittle un-necessary to me. I think regardless of gender it would be a reasonably fair match Male Vs Female considering it is a sport of skill & technique .... Perhaps my take is wrong??

Reel Nauti
19-07-2008, 08:53 PM
So where are you now Roz that you started this??!!! I don't see any discrimation, favouritism or anything of the like in any comps. It's all about giving everyone a fair go and distributing the most amount of encouragement through accolades as is possible.
If the majority of comp entrants are male, and there was no prize for the minority females, would you see that as being unfair?
Enter the world of the hunter and gatherer and we're all on equal footing!!

Looking forward to meeting you one day!

Dave

johno r
19-07-2008, 08:54 PM
You go Roz, my misses is into her fishing as much as i am, we went in the boondooma yellowbelly comp this year and she took out overall largest bass for the comp;D I got runnerup, this comp is only jnr & snr no jender how it shood be, go the girls

Poodroo
19-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I think there is nothing nicer than a woman who fishes. It's great. As for categorizing when it comes to competitions I have often wondered why they do it myself. Angling is really guaged on technique and come woman or man or child it is the one with the best technique who generally scores the prize. Roz I see your point although I don't see things ever changing. I guess I am not all that competitive when it comes to fishing, I just like to get out there and go fishing. I welcome anyone regardless of gender on my boat and encourage them to outfish me. ;)

Poodroo

mod5
19-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I was hoping not to have to moderate on this thread however I have just deleted nine posts.

Please debate the subject and stop posting insults and abuse towards each other.

Nic
19-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Apologises for being OT :
I am a SERIOUS girly girl, exessively NEW to fishing & boating and I take offense to your statement above ... I have 2 aparently fugly hot pink rods & I have 2 equally fugly Okuma Pink/Silver reels, Pink Okuma & Shimano caps oh and not to mention my pink Mad Keen shirt & my newly aquired pink rain jacket (purchased from a fishing shop) ... These products actually encourage quite a few women to join in this sport.

Sorry if I offended Flippher, I didn't mean to. I don't think all pink is ugly... the Shimano, Shakespeare and Okuma pink rods look OK, but MY GOD the Abu hot pink combo just about hurts the eyes!

However, as you said, if pink helps get the girls fishing, who am I to complain? Anyway, it's not like girls are the only ones to be influenced by colour schemes; how many guys out there have bought Sol combos because they're so shiny and gold, I wonder? ;D

slyman
19-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I've never been a member of a fishing club, but having read the posts of club members I can see the reasons for categorisation. But, as I see it, given the same opportunities, a persons gender has nothing to do with their fishing ability. Fishing is about knowledge, skill and technique. If you can catch yourself a fish, then good on you, what you put into it determines how much you will get out of it. When it all comes together, you end up with a smile on your dial, just like the one on my sisters face in the pic.

CHAPPY
20-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Roz,
I can see the point raised by some members that different classes of prizes means more prizes but if they re-scheduled the prizes thus
1 biggest snapper
2 biggest snapper male
3 biggest snapper female
4 biggests napper junior
This creates more prizes and a level gender playing field.

Ten pin bowling tornaments give out prizes for everyting. e.g. most consistant, highest this, lowest that. This is fdone to encourage participation.

And yes many men would not like to loose to a female but they allready have
Chappy

Crestcutter
20-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Yeah i agree with Chappy, it's more a divy out the prizes thing i reckon. If the young kids go in a comp because your trying to ecourage them into the sport and they win a sticker and hat, then there wrapped.

But if they have to compete on an adult level with top gun fisho's then they dont stand a chance. My son was wrapped just to weigh in his first fish at the R2M.

I think it's just making things so that everyone has a chance if recognition.

BtotheM
20-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Yer it gives everyone a chance to be recognised and an even chance amoungst the prizes. This gets more people involved and more people leaving the event happy. (eg Crestcutter said if like his son had to compete against the gun fellas and got flogged, it wouldnt exactly make him wont to go fishing / fish the event again). By getting to weight in he leaves the event happly and willing to fish.

rob tranter
20-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi Roz,

Hows it going down there

Mate these are all very good answers to your question.

From a Social Fishing Clubs point of view.
We have 66 members
Approximately 25 Senior Male
Approximately 15 Senior Female
15 Jnr Boy's
11 Jnr Girls

Our Devisions are
Snr Men (Club Comp)
Open Men (Fish anytime)
Snr Women (Club Comp)
Open Women (Fish anytime)
Jnr Boy (Club Comp)
Jnr Girl (Club Comp)

Over the past four years it has panned out like this
Snr Mens Champ on average 250 points, Open Mens Champ ave 800 points
Snr Womens Champ ave 40 points, Open Women Champ, ave 60 points
Jnr Boy Champ ave 45 points
Jnr Girl Champ ave 10 points.
The Females of our Club do not fish as much as Males, if we did not have Male/Female devisions, they would not get a look in and as such our Fishing Club would be a Male only thing and to me that is wrong.

The Jnr Girls points have all been achieved for attendance only, not one Jnr Girl weighed in. These points work out at TWO Comp attendances at Five points each, for the year out of a possible 11 Competitions organised.
Mum and dad brought them along for the camping/social side of things. This includes my daughter, Jnr Girls Champ Two years running(10 pts each year), now 14, who does not want to come along anymore, because to her it is boring.

Even my wife only ever gets attendance points because she does not want to fish.
Here's a Thumbs up for all you Lovely Ladies for getting out and having a go:thumbsup:

Cheers
Rob T8-)

Coutts Crossing Fishing Club President

dogsbody
20-07-2008, 09:57 AM
All well and good but if there was no best female category perhaps
there would be some that complained that there wasn't.

At the end of the day if your biggest concern is about categories in fishing life can't be to bad :)

If they were offering big prizes i know which category I'd like to be in. Your chances are greatly increased.

Dave.

roz
20-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Good to see some healthy debate happening.

I would like to point out to perhaps a couple of replys regarding greater distribution of prizes being a reason for gender categorization. Perhaps look at adding more prizes for different fish species instead.

Rob Tranter. As far as I can tell in your response, you havn't answered any questions, just posted up your clubs prize divisions, and they are all gender based. If some of your female members don't fish as often as the males, rewarding them with extra points when they do seems odd, at the end of the day it's their choice to compete.

I have a question for you. Why can't you have an open comp? where the divisions are age based and fish species.

It is a fact that there are more male fishos than female, that shouldn't be an issue, you might find placing everyone on even par more fun for for all. Trust me I know, I've been a female all my life!!!!!

Crestcutter and BtotheM. Go back and read the opening to this thread

I don't remember suggesting for one moment juniors should have to compete with seniors.

I'm really lost for words at your last two lines crestcutter and the bushbeachboy's comment.:hammer:

Having support for juniors in any sport is most important, of course it's fairer for them to be in their own age group.

I knew when I posted this thread up I would cop a some of the above, but take if from me and a few other females on this great forum.. it ain't much fun to be categorized. I'm not a big participent in comps, but found out the hard way when I entered one once, I took out the top three prizes of heaviest fish, biggest overall catch and champion angler, only to have them change me to champion lady angler....

Anyway, keep the biffo coming ooooops I mean debate!!!! It's all good. But don't get personal, it's a shame to get responses deleted.

have a good one
roz :)

aus2045
20-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I have never actually evey known of a woman that fishes. Its would be a good thing though/

BogusPokus
20-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I honestly cant see how male or female can make a difference to the sport. Look at it from the fishes point of view, lures and bait would appear the same in regards to a female or male fisher. I suppose the only thing that would make a difference would be skill and luck......neither is gender specific. My wife practically grew up holding a fishing stick and I often tell guys at work that my wife outfishes me more often than not, they thought it was hilarious untill they came fishing with us. Shelly likes the idea of female only fishing comps though in the same way she likes the idea of female only gymnasiums.

castlemaine
20-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I fish with 3 women ... my wife and my two daughters. They are more competitive (including the sledging) than I am and usually outfish me as well. Talk about 'quality family time' though, it just can't get better.
I can see your point though Roz, could the Champion Catergory be an overall competition winner but still individually include all other catergories?
Cheers 8-)

PinHead
20-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I enjoy taking my best mate fishing with me...and that mate is my wife. We don't fish comps even though I have many years back and there were no women sections then as no women even went in them.
I cannot see why there is separation in fishing unlike some other sports where natural attributes decree separation.
You get the best results then you should be named as the winner of the comp.

webby
20-07-2008, 03:58 PM
My missus never fishes, hates the smell and only cooks the fish so i can digest them.
I never enter comp's as theres too much back stabbing, fishing out of bounds, cheating, and most are trying to see their names in highlights.
So couldnt give two hoots if women are not allowed to fish in the same catergory as men.

regards

pueter66
20-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't know if I'd ever want to compete with women, my wife can out fish me any day of the week. If she didn't need someone to drive the boat I'd probably get left behind. They should keep things the way they are ! theres only so much the male ego can take :)

Bill.
Hear Hear, my wife is the same and she can drive the boat and she knows more fishing knots than me. I would be proud to beat her in a competition not that i probably could.
let the woman compete on equal status if they desire.

aus2045
20-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I think the reason I am single is because if fish. I tell a woman on a date i like to fish and they run away faster than a greyhound after a rabbit. Really the idea that there are women out there that fish surprises me.

Scalem
20-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Quick Greg!

Fix the spelling mistake!!! I am not even going to quote it!!!!

To the topic, Ros, I understand why you hovered for a while before raising the post.... Total equality and no differentiation between Genders at comps should be normal, not the exception. If I were to partner with either my wife, Herm, you or any female, you are totally free to drive, choose another fishing style or location, or anything you wanted to do. That's no different to having a male deckie.

I guess on occasion you enjoy your fishing too much to let inequality let it ruin your fun, but I would understand your dissappointment at not being able to fish ANY comp freely and without separate classifications.

Scalem

dogsbody
20-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Roz firstly we should separate comps and clubs. In comps i think that they have different catergories so that different sponsors can get a mention to sell their wares. It's a very competitive market and without their sponsorship their would be a lot less comps around.

In the club scene they just may well take the format from the comps. If your in a club and don't agree with the way it's set out best to bring it up at a meeting and see what can be done or put it to a vote if they do that sort of thing.

With the all women comps I don't see what is wrong with having such a event. Is it not about celerbrating the fact that women fish as well? Also maybe because sponsors figure that they are only targeting 50% of their potential market.

I don't think to the average joe blow it makes a difference if more women fish or not. If they want to they will. Again the 50% potential market comes into it and if it's advertised as a "Best female" catergory I'd say that is their way of targeting this market.

Is it that bad to seen as a female who fishes, What's the harm in it.

Dave.

Been tossing this idea for a topic around for a long time, however I've always chickened out for fear of copping a flogging. Well, I'm feeling a bit brave tonight.... tomorrow might be a different story.

My view on fishing comps and clubs is one of all things should be equal.

Why should there have to be a male champion and a female champion when it comes to angling clubs and comps... Why not just champion angler??

I really don't see fishing as a sport that needs this type of divide. I will concede that males are generally physically stronger than females, but this usually has nothing to do with landing big fish, it's more a matter of endurance and skill rather than brute strength.

I can speak from personal exerience, there is not much joy or merit in taking out a Best Female Angler trophy when you're only one of three or four females in a club of around 40 odd. I think this should also apply to junior anglers.

On the other hand, if there were male only comps there would be an out cry.

I would be very interested to hear views from both sides.

r.

BtotheM
20-07-2008, 04:49 PM
roz, soz man

But its the same for a woman it they get flogged they really dont want to fish the event again

BtotheM
20-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Also i think the woman comps are great

Nic
20-07-2008, 05:15 PM
My missus never fishes, hates the smell and only cooks the fish so i can digest them.
I never enter comp's as theres too much back stabbing, fishing out of bounds, cheating, and most are trying to see their names in lights.

Is it the catch-and-kill comps where cheating goes on? I have never fished one so I don't know what it's like. I know there's not much scope to cheat in an ABT comp, but that's all catch and release – that, and you get randomly paired with a different boater or non-boater each day.

Is the Fraser Expo OK? I know people who fish it every year without fail so I'm thinking it can't be that bad.

jimbo59
20-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Roz i have never entered a comp,i just go fishing i dont look at the phases or anything because its just time to go,thats it.Dont worry about equal this or that lifes to short, enjoy the freedom we have here; while it lasts....jim

roz
20-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi Roz i have never entered a comp,i just go fishing i dont look at the phases or anything because its just time to go,thats it.Dont worry about equal this or that lifes to short, enjoy the freedom we have here; while it lasts....jim

Good point Jim.

I have to say I'm not big on comps, probably count the number I've entered on the fingers of one hand. They have almost always been ones that support local projects/charities etc etc, they auction off the fish at the end, you know the ones.

I just put the gender question up as it's always puzzled me.. and why not.

I also realise there are 'old school' gents out there that will never understand what all the fuss is about & I respect their views as their intentions are well placed. They certainly don't view females as "second class" citizens. On the other hand there are those who should know better or don't care to. Don't mean to sound harsh saying that, unfortunately it's true.

Hey Nic,

I have a pink fishing rod!!!! Only by default.

It was given to me by Bear Claw (Myles) as a blank, and I built it as a boat rod...and YES I've gone the whole hog & added bling lol.

Thought it might look good with cobia slime all over it.... I actually hate pink, I'm not the girly girly type, but in this case I've made an exception...just for fun.

You can borrow it if you like lol!!!!

be good

roz.

rob tranter
20-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Rob Tranter. As far as I can tell in your response, you havn't answered any questions, just posted up your clubs prize divisions, and they are all gender based. If some of your female members don't fish as often as the males, rewarding them with extra points when they do seems odd, at the end of the day it's their choice to compete.

Sorry for any confusion Roz, I was trying to show that our girls don't fish as often as some of our fella's.
As for rewarding the ladies, all members guy's, gals and juniors, get the same points just for attending an outing/comp.
We instigated this to try and persuade a few more non fishing members to come along and join in, I agree with you, if they don't want to fish that's up to them.

As for my opinion on your question, well if the ladies wish to compete against the lad's thats fine, I don't have a problem with which sex out fishes me. I have to agree with some others in that maybe the divisions are to try and attract more females to the sport.
Rob T8-)

roz
20-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Sorry for any confusion Roz, I was trying to show that our girls don't fish as often as some of our fella's.
As for rewarding the ladies, all members guy's, gals and juniors, get the same points just for attending an outing/comp.
We instigated this to try and persuade a few more non fishing members to come along and join in, I agree with you, if they don't want to fish that's up to them.

As for my opinion on your question, well if the ladies wish to compete against the lad's thats fine, I don't have a problem with which sex out fishes me. I have to agree with some others in that maybe the divisions are to try and attract more females to the sport.
Rob T8-)

No probs Rob.

See ya in October & with a bit of luck I will kick your butt!!! One little tip for you...BRING DECENT HOOKS THIS TIME ROB.

roz.

Crestcutter
21-07-2008, 06:49 AM

My child comment come from that, according to your quote you want kids to compete on an adult level??Or did i read into that wrong?

My last two lines refer to the above which is the way i read into your post.

But if they have to compete on an adult level with top gun fisho's then they dont stand a chance. My son was wrapped just to weigh in his first fish at the R2M.

Meaning that if he had to compete with Horse, Webby, Deckie, Phil etc he may as well weighed in the bait. SO i think the overall resoning into catergorising comps is to keep everyone keen .
I dont think i deserved the underlined bold red comment as i have 20/20 vision and am not an idiot , and maybe i should have commented on your reasoning for your post, and not the one bit out of it that i felt strongly about.

Anyways i couldn't careless if i entered comps if a woman flogged me , good on her, they should have to compete in the same category as men and if there good enough to get the top fish for the comp they deserve the same title.

Off topic, but i was refering to children because that will be next no doubt.
I think kids should be ecouraged into the sport and there own little weigh in only encourages this.
My bad if i read into this wrong.

Ps, Phil what did you edit out of my original post? I dont think i posted anything wrong? Or was my spelling that bad???

Nic
21-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Well I don't know about your post Crestcutter but I certainly agree with Phil's editing of Webby's post. Don't know what that 'lesser sex' thing was about, I thought that phrase died with King George.

Thanks for the offer of the rod loan Roz but I reckon I'd never hear the end of it if I was seen using a pink rod! My tombstone would read 'Ribbed To Death'. :)

Crestcutter
21-07-2008, 08:39 AM
No Nic there was no angst or sexist remarks in my post to Roz , my guess is that it was off topic. Anyways i get along with Roz and have backed her when a few of her posts have been mislead and a pack of dogs have jumped her.

She knows what i'm about but i suppose i was off topic.

NAGG
21-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I say ...... Keep women & girls categories separate!!!!! :whip:

I hate getting my butt kicked by chicks;)

Nagg

rob tranter
21-07-2008, 09:51 AM
[HTML][See ya in October & with a bit of luck I will kick your butt!!! One little tip for you...BRING DECENT HOOKS THIS TIME ROB.
/HTML]

Roz
You kicked my butt last year and I have no doubt you will do the same this year, and I don't think luck has anything to do with it;)

As for the hooks I had them ordered and delivered within a week of coming home last year, so I may have to come up with a new excuse;D

I've even bought a new stick and crank, (Shimano TL20) I think?(don't tell my hugs and kisses though the $ will have her ring my neck) So I hope to be able to crank them up at a better rate.

See you soon
Rob T8-)

mik01
21-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Roz - firstly i need to say that I agree with you on the merits of one division if thats what women want to participate in.

Can I just say (with the greatest respect) that it still remains today a fact that serious fisho's are almost all men. Now this is not having a go at women, just a known fact. Now I'm definitely not a very good fisho (you would be much better than me), and don't care to enter any comps - I fish for the pleasure of being out there.

I just personally do not know of one woman who fishes seriously, other than perhaps once a year. (by 'serious fisho's' I mean someone who is happy to regularly get out in all conditions, at all hours, rig their own gear up, get blood and guts on them and actually touch the fish they catch - because they love it all).

I'm just wondering if some women might be a little tender at the genuine surprise of some men towards women who are keen anglers? I'm not sure I subscribe to the theory that these men at fishing expos or the like are sexist or 'old school'.

I'm definitely not sexist or 'old school' yet I would find genuine surprise if I met, in person, a Lady that is a mad keen fisho - even though I know you do exist!;)

Perhaps there is no good reason for gender division, then again perhaps there once was and should no longer be.....

or perhaps some traditions should remain?

Herm
21-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Sounds like time for another Girls Meet and Greet!

When are you down Roz?

Cheers
Janine

roz
21-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Roz - firstly i need to say that I agree with you on the merits of one division if thats what women want to participate in.

Can I just say (with the greatest respect) that it still remains today a fact that serious fisho's are almost all men. Now this is not having a go at women, just a known fact. Now I'm definitely not a very good fisho (you would be much better than me), and don't care to enter any comps - I fish for the pleasure of being out there.

I just personally do not know of one woman who fishes seriously, other than perhaps once a year. (by 'serious fisho's' I mean someone who is happy to regularly get out in all conditions, at all hours, rig their own gear up, get blood and guts on them and actually touch the fish they catch - because they love it all).

I'm just wondering if some women might be a little tender at the genuine surprise of some men towards women who are keen anglers? I'm not sure I subscribe to the theory that these men at fishing expos or the like are sexist or 'old school'.

I'm definitely not sexist or 'old school' yet I would find genuine surprise if I met, in person, a Lady that is a mad keen fisho - even though I know you do exist!;)

Perhaps there is no good reason for gender division, then again perhaps there once was and should no longer be.....

I really can't help myself here...you've fed out the burley trail LOL. I really don't know what we have to do to convince some of you fellas... would "mad keen fisho" be someone who >>>>>>owns and operates their own boat? makes/builds their own rods? puts together their own rigs etc etc? makes their own sinkers? drinks green ginger wine? catches their own bait with cast net? fished since the age of 5? held a couple of australian records?? Will tow own boat from coffs to agnes alone, just to go fishing with some mates??? will generally drive non fishos mad!!!! FAIR DINKUM. There are more like me out there... I would be very affraid if I were you!!!;D

roz
21-07-2008, 10:22 PM
My child comment come from that, according to your quote you want kids to compete on an adult level??Or did i read into that wrong?

My last two lines refer to the above which is the way i read into your post.

Meaning that if he had to compete with Horse, Webby, Deckie, Phil etc he may as well weighed in the bait. SO i think the overall resoning into catergorising comps is to keep everyone keen .
I dont think i deserved the underlined bold red comment as i have 20/20 vision and am not an idiot , and maybe i should have commented on your reasoning for your post, and not the one bit out of it that i felt strongly about.

Anyways i couldn't careless if i entered comps if a woman flogged me , good on her, they should have to compete in the same category as men and if there good enough to get the top fish for the comp they deserve the same title.

Off topic, but i was refering to children because that will be next no doubt.
I think kids should be ecouraged into the sport and there own little weigh in only encourages this.
My bad if i read into this wrong.

Ps, Phil what did you edit out of my original post? I dont think i posted anything wrong? Or was my spelling that bad???

crestcutter, I do apologise if you feel offended by my response:'( . It definately was NOT intentional, I thought it was obvious... allowing kids to fish together not against adults, was what I meant.
You can smack the back of my hand for being so mean & nasty:P .

cheers rozweiler.::)

PinHead
22-07-2008, 05:08 AM
I really can't help myself here...you've fed out the burley trail LOL. I really don't know what we have to do to convince some of you fellas... would "mad keen fisho" be someone who >>>>>>owns and operates their own boat? makes/builds their own rods? puts together their own rigs etc etc? makes their own sinkers? drinks green ginger wine? catches their own bait with cast net? fished since the age of 5? held a couple of australian records?? Will tow own boat from coffs to agnes alone, just to go fishing with some mates??? will generally drive non fishos mad!!!! FAIR DINKUM. There are more like me out there... I would be very affraid if I were you!!!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

sorry Roz..that description really does not make the grade..there was no mention of drinking green ginger wine.

I read it there Greg !!!

Crestcutter
22-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Dear "rozweiler" I thought i read into it wrong. My apologies to you as well , i must have been having a bad hair day now i look back at what i wrote. I just misunderstood the kid bit.

Good onya for being you, you are a rare breed though and i wish there were more like you.

Darryl.

PS.I wouldn't be game to smack the back of your hand with a ruler:o

roz
22-07-2008, 05:19 PM
sorry Roz..that description really does not make the grade..there was no mention of drinking green ginger wine.

YOU POOR POOR PET GREG, GO BACK AND HAVE ANOTHER READ.

ROZ::)

mik01
22-07-2008, 05:41 PM
I really can't help myself here...you've fed out the burley trail LOL. I really don't know what we have to do to convince some of you fellas... would "mad keen fisho" be someone who >>>>>>owns and operates their own boat? makes/builds their own rods? puts together their own rigs etc etc? makes their own sinkers? drinks green ginger wine? catches their own bait with cast net? fished since the age of 5? held a couple of australian records?? Will tow own boat from coffs to agnes alone, just to go fishing with some mates??? will generally drive non fishos mad!!!! FAIR DINKUM. There are more like me out there... I would be very affraid if I were you!!!;D

well you DID warn me Phil!!! ;D

thanks Roz - I am afraid!:P I couldn't generally catch a cold but it looks like I've hooked you!

I hope there are many more fisher women out there like yourself - should be much more. my wife won't come near fishing cos 'its boring' and every other woman I know gets squeamish just looking at bait or touching a live fish.

this is a real shame cos I would love nothing more than to share time out on the water with my best friend (my wife - not the Beam and Coke!!).

anyhoo, if there were more keen fisher chicks then there would be much less 'old school' attitudes. Power to ya!

BeastMaster
22-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Hello Roz - a bit of fine form there!!
I too hate getting my butt kicked.
Leave us poor blokes alone, especially "OUR" fishing comps.
What else will we have left if you girls plunder our trophies.
JUST JOKING SL's - BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beast

Moonlighter
22-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi Beast

That's not an admission of "over competitiveness" on your behalf, I hope?????:o :o :o :o :o :o

Wouldn't want that to get around in certain circles.....;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Moonlighter

PinHead
22-07-2008, 09:59 PM
YOU POOR POOR PET GREG, GO BACK AND HAVE ANOTHER READ.

ROZ::)

LOL Roz..I did have another read and what did I see.."last edited by Roz at 5.10pm today"..wonder what you added

blaze
22-07-2008, 10:34 PM

I take it you have never met Roz, first time I met Roz she took me fishing, caught the livies, baited my hook, Cast my line out and then caught the only fish. Left me in awe. What a wonder women, this was all a first for me and will be forever in my memory. Thanks Roz
catch you soon
cheers
blaze

rob tranter
22-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Roz mate

Now there's an opening, I'll supply the Green Ginger;D ;D

See you at Agnes (with the Green Ginger)

Rob T8-)

sleepygreg
23-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I have been involved in the ANSA and Gamefishing scene for over 30 years. Involved in clubs from Melbourne to Brisbane, as well as enjoying the 'weekend dangle' for relaxation. There are many women like Roz out there, who are probably more competent than most males at fishing (and i mean all aspects of it). I agree that the numbers of males far outweigh the number of females in 'competitions' but I reckon if you could get em all together and formulate some sort of knowledge and skills test.....right across the board...on level playing fields....the numbers would come damn close to being even at the top of the tree. My two best deckies, over the years, have been mys sister and my ex wife (based on a competency level of all aspects of fishing/boating) and there are some very high profile fisherMEN included in that comparison list.

Cheers
Greg

LeeannP
23-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Gender has nothing really to do with fishing at all. I've won a couple of grands worth of prizes from the female category in fishing comps (booby prizes I call them) and if they're on offer, hey, I've got no qualms about claiming them ;D
but there really is no reason to have a female section. Most female anglers would be in agreeance.

However there are some females who are new to the game of fishing or haven't the confidence to enter what is still considered the male domain of fishing comps.
It's like female only gyms. They really are a better place for the girls to exercise at as you don't have to worry about any male gym junkies looking up your shorts when you're doing sit ups ::) . Some women may be confident in a mixed gym but others aren't as confident. Some women gain a lot of confidence fishing in a comp designed specifically for them.

The Lady Fishers comps are run very professionally by Bev Cheffins who is a mad keen angler herself. She runs a comp for girls to encourage them into the sport of fishing. As well as the fishing/competition side of things, if a girl is a newbie she can learn how to tie knots properly and get tips on casting. Girls who are competent can fish in an all girls team and if the girls haven't the experience on the water they can opt to have a male skipper. There are seperate prize categories for the champion "skippered" team as well as a prize for the all girls team that wins.

Interestingly enough the girls that fish in "skippered" teams (ie with male skipper) will often come back the following year in an all girls team as they have been given the confidence they've been needing. (This regularly happened in the N.T. with the Reel Women comps).

The comps are based around having FUN!!!! The next Lady Fishers comp is at Awoonga in November. Check out their website www.###########.com.au (http://www.###########.com.au) (enter lady fishers where the "#"s are) and check out the smiles on the ladies' faces..... AWESOME ;D ;D

Little grey men
23-07-2008, 10:12 AM
When you start to think about what makes a really good angler......is it strength in their arms ?.....no. Is it purely stamina ? ....no.
It's whats between their ears. The best fishermen I've met have fishing brains. They work things out, they research, they know their prey's environment, they know the habits of the fish they seek, they develop their technique.
A woman can do that just as well as a man I'd say.

NAGG
23-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Back to the original question ......... I think that it is a way of encouraging more females into the sport ...... Which is a good thing:) . You do the same for Juniors too ........ Its about encouragement!
On the flip side ...... There is no reason as far as I can see why both Females & Juniors cannot compete in the open category .......... Its not like golf where women tees are pushed forward ..........::) They use the same tackle ( sometimes pink;) ) fish the same , line & baits ..... for the same species.
I just think that too many clubs / associations are still run by old fuddy duddies that are living in the 20th century.

Just my thoughts

Nagg

....... PS , I like the ABTs approach

Whitto
23-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I guess Chris at my age 61 next birthday...Im aware of what u are saying and I agree entirely that some events are run by old fuddie duddies or people set in their way's and I have to say I hate that.......years ago as a young man I started to play Lawn Bowls...the lady bowlers were called associates and the men were called members...the woman were not concidered equal......I gave it away as a direct result of that custom..........No matter what we do in competition as men...women should be able to participate on equal terms without question.......Fishing comps should be Senior and Junior catagories and thats all....for years woman fought for equality and it would seem the boys club still exists more's the pity.......I don't fish competitions anymore..been there done that...having said that I learnt alot about fishing for certain species from going to comps over the years.......lift your game boys our fairer sex are equal's and some......Keep on keeping on Ladies.....Whitto;)

Dirtysanchez
24-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I'd like it if my wife would come fishing, but she finds it boring and if there is more than a ripple on the water she goes green.
It makes it hard to find the time to get out on the water sometimes because it is not something we have in common unfortunately :(

I admire women who are highly competent in all aspects of fishing, and any wonder, most women have highly organised minds

GBC
24-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Interesting thread - had waayy too many beeeeerszzzz to reply coherentyl though. (rain off day - and national anti stress day - hope the neighbours like Gart Brooks)

Anyone mentions Fraser as a fishing comp should be shot - way too much rum there to take anyfing too seriously.

The whole 'womens' section thing was prolly started by a whinger who couldn't do the business. Definitely not applicable to the ladies I see posting here - quality individuals unlike myself.

I only ever did one comp - Fraser - bit of a wank really. Prolly should have read the rules cause we came home with a boatload of the best pearlies you've seen only to be told they don't weigh them? Must be considered vermin up north.
Is it only me or do the comp results in B&B etc. read a bit they don't have a clue? I don't get it.
Installing flame proof jacket now, and damn proud to have made it through the reply without a sexyist comment.

P.S. My future wife to be in the past used to crack pipis on the back of an alvey, catch tailer, break their necks and upend them in the sand under the ute.
Now were married - she hasn't fished in years - Is it because I have a small " mind " ? Help me ladies I need your help.

C.J.

edited by Moderator...... you didn't think it would get through CJ... did you ?

GBC
24-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks phill, I'll probably thank you for it when I sober up.:'(

sleepygreg
24-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for that post Leanne, I am looking forward to catching up with Bev at the ANSA conference at Yeppoon in august, she is one very passionate lady about fishing and organises a brilliant comp by any standards. Maybe this year I can organise one of my work trips to coincide with the Awoonga comp to lend a hand....I dont mind being the camp cook/bottlewasher while the gals fish.

Greg

roz
24-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I always miss the juicy bits..bugga!!!!

Anybody know if the I.G.F.A still have a female section for records??? I remember they did at one stage, there were so many blank sections you would only have to simply catch the species to claim a world record, no merit there at all.

On the other hand A.N.S.A only has juniors and seniors, that makes it fair for everyone imo.

cheers r.

Benno1
24-07-2008, 11:25 PM
i recon gender should have sweet FA to do with it...fish caught by anglers should be judged on weight...gear etc...not if you have boobs or a beanbag...credit given where credit is due...as a female who fishes...encouragment has been the key factor for me...ive been extremely blessed with a patient husband that is willing to help me be a better angler...calming me down when i get flustered on the boat ramp (i reverse the trailer down when we go out/park it up... and hitch the boat up when we come back in)...and if it takes an all women comp to get more interest in the sport...so be it...(its got me gee'd up for the Awoonga Comp)...my 2 cents worth :D
(Mrs Benno1)

LeeannP
25-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for that post Leanne, I am looking forward to catching up with Bev at the ANSA conference at Yeppoon in august, she is one very passionate lady about fishing and organises a brilliant comp by any standards. Maybe this year I can organise one of my work trips to coincide with the Awoonga comp to lend a hand....I dont mind being the camp cook/bottlewasher while the gals fish.

Greg

Bev is an absolutely lovely lady isn't she? It's amazing how many boys put their hands up to be the camp cook at that one ;D It's what fishing is about. Get out, wet a line, come back in and brag about the caught ones and drown your sorrows over the ones that got away. I think we'll be in S.A. when the comp is on so unfortunately I'll be missing it this year.

bushbeachboy
25-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Roz that comment was never intended to be offensive, but obviously it was. I apologise.

bushbeachboy
25-07-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm still of the opinion that anything that will encourage more women into fishing is a good thing.

You were treated abominably at that comp. Blokes who can't stand getting beaten, shouldn't be competing in anything. Changing the rules like that is pure bad sportsmanship.

I believe that women should compete equally with men if they choose to do so, but should not be forced to do so and hence the opportunity to fish against other women.

My Mrs agrees with Leeann P that an all-female gym is a good thing, for the very reason that Leeanne raises.

But she still doesn't want to go fishing!!!!!!

LeeannP
25-07-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm still of the opinion that anything that will encourage more women into fishing is a good thing.

You were treated abominably at that comp. Blokes who can't stand getting beaten, shouldn't be competing in anything. Changing the rules like that is pure bad sportsmanship.

I believe that women should compete equally with men if they choose to do so, but should not be forced to do so and hence the opportunity to fish against other women.

My Mrs agrees with Leeann P that an all-female gym is a good thing, for the very reason that Leeanne raises.

But she still doesn't want to go fishing!!!!!!

It's a bugger that your Missus doesn't like to fish however if we were all the same the world would be a very boring place indeed.

It's also good to see that there are a couple of "glamour girls" in the mags of late.... Miss Australia and Miss Indy. Certainly takes away the "rough as guts" image of the sport (though boys, there's nothing wrong with being rough as guts;) )

jim_bream
25-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Is team "Roughasguts" still taking nominations?
LOL ;-)

LeeannP
25-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Is team "Roughasguts" still taking nominations?
LOL ;-)

You know.... that's not a bad name! ;D

PaulMark
25-07-2008, 04:23 PM
My missus agrees with Leeann as well,re female only gyms, as for myself the only Jim I'm interested in, is the Jim next door who makes top home brew:D .On wives and fishing every time I take her she always catches the first fish,usually catches the biggest as well,doesn't mind the bait,or getting the fish off the hook,unless its a bit technical.Fishing unlike sports where theres a strength element is one of the few areas where gender doesn't matter a toss. Juniors and Seniors way to go.
Paulo8-)

Nic
25-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to discount that strength element -- sometimes it's necessary! But I just go to the gym regularly to give me some shoulder/back/arm strength. Makes a fight with XOS fish so much easier -- I'd definitely recommend it to other women out there. (You don't have to worry about getting beefy-looking man muscles, you'd have to press truly massive weights to get that!)

dasher
25-07-2008, 05:07 PM
G,day Roz, long time no chat. Gotta say a great post and agree whole heartedly.
Major prizes should be open then divisions below them (gives the guys a chance to win a prize;D ) Keep up the good work mate 8-)

CB77
25-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi,

Why cant I join Fernwood gym?? (been trying for years)

My wife in the boat is a nightmare! constantly whinging about something: its too windy, its to rough in this spot, i feel sick, gee its hot or its too cold, multiply it by 3 when I take the kids as well.

I go fishing with my mates to get away from the women

Nic
26-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Fair enough Craig B, from what you've said I don't think I'd want to fish with her either!

CB77
26-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Roz,

Seen your pics,thats some serious fish: you'd be welcome in my boat anytime!!

Alchemy
26-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi,

Why cant I join Fernwood gym?? (been trying for years)

My wife in the boat is a nightmare! constantly whinging about something: its too windy, its to rough in this spot, i feel sick, gee its hot or its too cold, multiply it by 3 when I take the kids as well.

I go fishing with my mates to get away from the women

You poor bar&*ard.

So, why are you trying to join Fernwood when you are trying to keep away from women?

nigelr
27-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Interesting post, Roz.
Not a 'comp' fisher myself, but I can't see why you shouldn't have the option of selecting which 'division' you fish in.
If ladies wish to fish in their own division, or fish against the men, why not?
Certainly happens in other sports, being a Coffs area lady you may be aware, a local young lady plays soccer for the Matildas, and played (when available) in the Sawtell Mens' Ist Division team last year. Her choice, no-one dissented.
In the junior divisions, girls regularly play alongside boys. As they get older they may choose to play in Womens Divisions, these are strength based issues perhaps, and certainly not relevant to fishing.
Similarly, when I was involved in amatuer surfing years ago, if a girl/lady wished to surf against the boys, it was encouraged. Certainly some red faces amongst the lads when beaten by a girl, but if you enter competition, you have to be prepared to be beaten.
The idea that a female does not possess the same potentail as a male when it comes to aquireing fishing ability is ridiculous.
Female only comps, why not?
You should have the right to do whatever you want, in this day and age.
Cheers.

CB77
27-07-2008, 09:42 AM
You poor bar&*ard.

So, why are you trying to join Fernwood when you are trying to keep away from women?
Much better to be around hot sweaty women than stinking sweaty men in the gym!!!

OK, enough of going off on a tangent, stick to the thread topic ! Moderated

roz
27-07-2008, 09:39 PM
IMO Female only gyms have nothing to do with fishing... at risk of going off on a tangent.. as far as I know female only gyms exist for a modesty issue, nothing else.

Fishing and strength. A person can only use as much strength as the breaking strain of the line they are using permits.

Now I don't know if this will make some of you fellas happy.

I took a chap out fishing in my boat about seven weeks ago. I had to tie on his hooks, show him how to bait up a pillie and then take off most of his fish for him... on the other hand, I had to learn all that stuff way back in the last century, lucky I had my Dad to teach me, hey we all had to learn from somebody. I was extremely lucky I had a Dad that cared enough to pass on his fishing savvy to me.

Really glad to get so many responses to this topic, and it's still bubbling along.

Thank you all!!

Dasher, it's been ages mate, good to see you back!!!

roz.

mik01
27-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Interesting post, Roz.
Not a 'comp' fisher myself, but I can't see why you shouldn't have the option of selecting which 'division' you fish in.
If ladies wish to fish in their own division, or fish against the men, why not?
Certainly happens in other sports, being a Coffs area lady you may be aware, a local young lady plays soccer for the Matildas, and played (when available) in the Sawtell Mens' Ist Division team last year. Her choice, no-one dissented.
In the junior divisions, girls regularly play alongside boys. As they get older they may choose to play in Womens Divisions, these are strength based issues perhaps, and certainly not relevant to fishing.
Similarly, when I was involved in amatuer surfing years ago, if a girl/lady wished to surf against the boys, it was encouraged. Certainly some red faces amongst the lads when beaten by a girl, but if you enter competition, you have to be prepared to be beaten.
The idea that a female does not possess the same potentail as a male when it comes to aquireing fishing ability is ridiculous.
Female only comps, why not?
You should have the right to do whatever you want, in this day and age.
Cheers.

in the spirit of equality, does that mean blokes can enter into the ladies fishing division?

nigelr
28-07-2008, 07:51 AM
If they think they need to, Mik01! ;);D
Cheers!

TimiBoy
28-07-2008, 04:38 PM
LOL, you go Mik! You first!!!

Cheers,

Tim

roz
28-07-2008, 09:55 PM
in the spirit of equality, does that mean blokes can enter into the ladies fishing division?

Good onya;D ;D ;D ;D

mik01
28-07-2008, 10:21 PM
well thanks for the encouragement fellas (and Roz)! :P

although its clear that the girls would have absolutely no fear of me outfishing them :-/ ! i couldn't outfish the juniors going by my last few outings::)

but I wonder how it would feel to be Ladies champion - just once....
;D ;D ;D ;D

shayned
12-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Roz,

Seen your pics,thats some serious fish: you'd be welcome in my boat anytime!!

Will no one listen to me, it's not that the fish in the photos are that good, it's just that Roz is very, very tiny!! :D

Hey Roz,
Long time mate, can't personally see a problem with the women only comps if it increases participation.

Interestingly as a general rule of thumb when we do the kids fishing education days we normally expect a girl to be the best performer on at least 60% of the time.

Although I think it is a function of developmental rate differences between the sexes. Early in the piece girls tend to have better fine motor skills and patience when compared with lads of the same age.

Best of all though is the fact that we seem to get a continuous good role out of young ladies eager to learn and we rarely get stereotypical behaviour when it comes to handling bait or fish.

Given 10 years or so I think these young ladies will make some young lads very, very happy. As long as they don't mind being outfished occassionally. ;)

Nicko
12-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Women and Men should be treated as equals out in the fishing competitions; joint competition, no division.

roz
15-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Women and Men should be treated as equals out in the fishing competitions; joint competition, no division.

thanks Nicko. That was the only point I was trying to make.

The banter on this thread has been a lot more positive than i would have expected.

At first I thought I would have to go out and build myself a big concrete bunker

Good onya.

Shayne,

Love your work!!!!:P Seriously though, two things help. One is HOLD FISH out toward the camera, or get your fighting weight down;D .

thanks for your input & good to see you back.:)
take care
roz:)

1lastcast
15-08-2008, 02:51 PM
But men are better !! !! just kidding settle down ladies :P

actually i reckon no angler should have a problem having a comp where ladies and gentleman were judged equally at least i dont think so

I would be only to happy to enter a comp and have ladies on my boat with me !!!

fleety77
15-08-2008, 03:28 PM
i wish my mrs fished full stop!!!!

PaulMark
15-08-2008, 05:26 PM
I used to play league darts in the U.k and theres nothing more sobering than having to buy the "lovely lady" that just flogged you,a drink.
Paulo