PDA

View Full Version : Redlands to tangalooma

datamile
18-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Got relatives visiting at the moment, and a bit chilly to drop them off a peel for a couple of hours, so thought of going to tangalooma, but I've only ever stuck to the southern Islands. 45km from Vicky, or 35 from wello.

How long would it take, and can I do it in pretty straight line at 30 knts. Anything I need to watchout for, like shipping lanes, and bad currents. Worth dragging the boat to wello, or just as good from Vicky.. what with the price of fuel these days.

Half thought of crossing out the bar for a spot of whale watching, but don't think I'm ready for bars yet.

TimiBoy
18-07-2008, 09:31 PM
If you aren't ready for the bar, don't, repeat, don't, do it!!! Like many things, it's easy when you know how.

Tanga's is easy from Raby Bay, so it will be from Vicky Point, too. Great trip, water should be warm enough for a paddle, just push the tub up onto the beach behind the wrecks. Just avoid banks which are marked.

The shipping lanes need to be avoided when there are ships in them. They make a solid donging noise when you hit them, and they tend to make you stop suddenly...

Good luck, have fun.

Cheers,

Tim