PDA

View Full Version : Knobby Fest on new Berkley Chickens off Noosa!

seapup
18-07-2008, 11:38 AM
It had been a while since we had been fishing and thursday looked like a good day weather wise and moon wise so we met at the ramp at 9am and headed wide in search of Knobbies. :D We had the new Berkley Gulp Chicken colours and were keen to give them a crack. We fished a wreck on the way out and pulled 4 Cobes and a couple of Pearlys off it after 3 drifts then kept moving as we were hunting Snapper not Cobia. ::) First mark we pulled up at we did a drift and pulled a coupla Squire so we anchored and burleyed then the Snaps started coming aboard. The new Curry and Satay Chickens were working well along with the ever reliable Nuclear chicken. 8-) We pulled up the anchor as it was early in the day as we didnt want to bag out on Snaps and come home early. We headed out into the deep stuff in search of big mongrel AJ's. Pete and I dropped our knife jigs on some ledges with ok shows but didnt land an AJ! We certainly put in the time and only both managed 1 hit each which was strange. By now it was 3:30pm so I made the call to head back to the shallower water to set up for the twilight bite for larger Snapper. We got to one of my Ledges and it was riddled with Snapper. :) We anchored and burleyed and nothing really happened for an hour but we were patient as I could see the Snaps on the sounder. Right on dark we had a quadruple hookup on larger Snapper - 3 of the hookups were on plastics and the other bait - curry chicken and 2 x nuclear chickens. The Snapper bite had started and every drop we were getting slammed! We threw plenty back as we wanted to keep the better sized ones to take home. At 6:30pm we made the call to stop fishing as we had easily bagged out and the Snapper were still going nuts! :( It was a grear run home cruising at 30-32 knots the whole way.

seapup
18-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Some more shots... :)

seapup
18-07-2008, 11:49 AM
More photos...

seapup
18-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Even more shots... :)

Vindicator
18-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Some nice snaps there seapup, would have been hard to leave them there biting and not stay and just have some more fun.
Good to see the new colour chooks are performing.

Cheers
Kezza

Roo
18-07-2008, 12:02 PM
well done. Some days It won't matter what you throw at them and they'll smash it.
Cheers Roo.

skipalong
18-07-2008, 12:08 PM
excellent results what depth you fishing mate

jtpython
18-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Awesome stuff guys was only just reading about the new range of Berkleys a couple of days ago
Once again great Effort
JT

Pistol_P
18-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah!!....Another awesome day out there Benny.8-)

Glad we went yesterday...That NW is strong at the moment!

Got some sweet looking fillets put aside for tonight...:P

Pete

Benno1
18-07-2008, 12:45 PM
quality pics and report...thanks seapup...mmmmm fresh snapper...NIIIICE :D

seapup
18-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks Skippy. Was fishing 50-60m for the Snaps.
Benny.

excellent results what depth you fishing mate

seapup
18-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Kezza,
We threw about 15 legal Snaps back as we were keeping the better sized ones.
Give the new Chook colours a go they work well. The only negative I found with them was they seemed softer than the original ones and broke quicker.
Cheers,
Benny.

Some nice snaps there seapup, would have been hard to leave them there biting and not stay and just have some more fun.
Good to see the new colour chooks are performing.

Cheers
Kezza

Orrsum
18-07-2008, 01:00 PM
thanks for a great report, there is certainly some pretty special spots out there. good on ya.

wadeo
18-07-2008, 02:14 PM
great report seapup top catch.Wasnt the weather awesome out there yesterday arvo. well done.
regards wadeo

indy
18-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Great work ben the smiles say it all

tunapikus
18-07-2008, 03:19 PM
hey seapup miss out on another good season r well at least i had that cartoon of coronas at home they tasted great thanks mate for that??? Nice fish there boys

seapup
18-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks Richard.
When are you giving me that carton of Corona you owe me? Are you not a man of your word?
Benny.

hey seapup miss out on another good season r well at least i had that cartoon of coronas at home they tasted great thanks mate for that??? Nice fish there boys

revs57
18-07-2008, 05:10 PM
well its about time young fella! I nearly thought you'd given up on fishing and just gone surfing its been so long;D ;D ;D ;D

You've inspired me to give it a go agin - maybe tomorra

Welcome back!

Rhys

seapup
18-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks Rhys! I would never give up on fishing...Just been waiting for the right day head wide and smash some Snaps! ;D We had great fun trying those new Chickens. You will love them!
Cheers,
Benny.

well its about time young fella! I nearly thought you'd given up on fishing and just gone surfing its been so long;D ;D ;D ;D

You've inspired me to give it a go agin - maybe tomorra

Welcome back!

Rhys

cobiaman
18-07-2008, 06:06 PM
nice fish mate, well done

tiges
18-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Good stuff boys. I had a feeling y'day that you might've headed out given the conditions. Thanks 4 the invite!!!:'( You cranky with me cos I wouldn't come surfing the other morn? Just Kiddin' mate. ;D I reckon Pete should have a bye, and let me take his spot next time. He does too much fishing anyway, he should get a real job and look after his family:P :D .

cptpott
18-07-2008, 08:54 PM
That's a haul and a half. Dunno how you guys do it. I went thru $200 in fuel on wed night to catch a few legal squire jobfish & wrasse (ton of throwbacks). Not that I mind, it was worth it just to get away. We had whales surfacing within 100m of the boat. But to see fish like you've just caught and the meter long AJ & cobia frames at the boatramp I wonder what I'm doing wrong?!?
Its inspiring and frustrating all at the same time.
Cheers
Craig

Pistol_P
18-07-2008, 09:04 PM
That's a haul and a half. Dunno how you guys do it. I went thru $200 in fuel on wed night to catch a few legal squire jobfish & wrasse (ton of throwbacks). Not that I mind, it was worth it just to get away. We had whales surfacing within 100m of the boat. But to see fish like you've just caught and the meter long AJ & cobia frames at the boatramp I wonder what I'm doing wrong?!?
Cheers
Craig

I think at times you have to throw everything at them.

Sometimes we have struggled to catch fish on bait and are only getting throw backs.....Put on a plastic and we get hit by good quality fish.
Why it happens who knows.....But it pays to mix it up and throw everything at them.

Pete

dayoo
18-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Benny,

Nice catch mate. Frank and I just got back from Fraser only small snapper there at the moment. We'll have to get out again soon for the snapps off Mooloolaba.

Cheers
Barry

MeePee_99
18-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Awesome Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

REELWORK
18-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Great work seapup. Good to see the snapper have really come on. How good was the weather last nite. Well done and a great catch on plastics. Reelwork

lido76
19-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Great to see a report ben its been a while. I went to cal wide on thurs and my mate got a 5-6kg knobbie on a new bbq chook. We got a good mixed bag. Looking at heading out on sun morn for a quick sesh with sammy carlile. Will do a report hopfully on both trips. Whats the bar like at the moment might do a trip from noosa in a couple of weeks. Great photos some good knobs in that lot. Cheers LIDO.

Bigash
19-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Great work Seapup.
sounds like a great day on the water.
what depth & line/jig head size were you fishing?
cheers
BigAsh

ffejsmada
19-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another great effort Benny and crew! What did the biggest knob go????

Jeff.

seapup
19-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Yes mate if u would have come surfing you could have come fishing thursday! :D So make sure u come surfing with me next week then you can come for a fish out wide!;)

Good stuff boys. I had a feeling y'day that you might've headed out given the conditions. Thanks 4 the invite!!!:'( You cranky with me cos I wouldn't come surfing the other morn? Just Kiddin' mate. ;D I reckon Pete should have a bye, and let me take his spot next time. He does too much fishing anyway, he should get a real job and look after his family:P :D .

seapup
19-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Craig,
Getting your anchor position right is the most important part. Sometimes I drop the pick then pull it up again 3 or 4 times until the boat is right in the zone. Then try bait and plastics and you should do ok.
Benny.

Cheers
Craig

seapup
19-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi Ash,
On the plastics we were using 7kg fireline with 30lb traces and 1 ounce jigheads. We were fishing 50-60m.
Benny.

Great work Seapup.
sounds like a great day on the water.
what depth & line/jig head size were you fishing?
cheers
BigAsh

seapup
19-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks Lido. Bars not to bad when there is no swell. I came in in the dark on high tide so it was sweet as. My mate ran aground on wednesday night on the bar in a 27ft cat. Let me know when you come up for a fish.
Benny.

Great to see a report ben its been a while. I went to cal wide on thurs and my mate got a 5-6kg knobbie on a new bbq chook. We got a good mixed bag. Looking at heading out on sun morn for a quick sesh with sammy carlile. Will do a report hopfully on both trips. Whats the bar like at the moment might do a trip from noosa in a couple of weeks. Great photos some good knobs in that lot. Cheers LIDO.

seapup
19-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks Jeff. Didnt weigh any of the fish as we were to busy hauling them up.
Cheers,
Benny.

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another great effort Benny and crew! What did the biggest knob go????

Jeff.

tiges
19-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes mate if u would have come surfing you could have come fishing thursday! :D So make sure u come surfing with me next week then you can come for a fish out wide!;)

Mate! We will be surfing next week. Synoptic is looking insane towards the end of the week! There won't be any fishing being done, more like barrells at the Pot!8-)

seapup
19-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Timmy, Keen for waves at Pot then when waves ease head wide for Snapper! :D

Mate! We will be surfing next week. Synoptic is looking insane towards the end of the week! There won't be any fishing being done, more like barrells at the Pot!8-)

SummerTrance
19-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Great catch guys, thats an awesome effort. Are you using the 5" or 7" jerk shads out there? Im also liking the new chicken colours and have had some success with them down here in Moreton Bay. Of the new colours I like the curry chooks the best, but also the cajans (pink&black) work well in the dark.

seapup
20-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Hi Summer Trance,
We use the 7" out wide. Was using a 1 ounce jighead on thursday as there was a little bit of run. Ya the curry chicken works really well and cajun seemed good as well.
Cheers,
Benny.

Great catch guys, thats an awesome effort. Are you using the 5" or 7" jerk shads out there? Im also liking the new chicken colours and have had some success with them down here in Moreton Bay. Of the new colours I like the curry chooks the best, but also the cajans (pink&black) work well in the dark.

abbot_86
20-07-2008, 11:04 AM
another successful trip ben . well done again . pitty there were no AJs for you guys cause i know you and pete froth on em . i would still be stoked with the snaps on light gear. nick..

jarhead
20-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Gotta love trips like that, top stuff.

Wal

Lacey Blue Dog
20-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Benny cant wait for the next trip, The trip back without getting hammered and wet made the whole day less painfull than the usual . have had fresh snapper every night goottaa love it.......
See you at the flee this week looks the goods.

Bluedog

sp nut
21-07-2008, 12:43 PM
G'day Benny,

That is some awesome fishing there! I haven't tried the new range of chooks yet but, it seems they all work and that you can't go wrong whatever color you choose.

I only wish I could have had the same luck as you guys. I went fishing off Noosa last Wednesday for my 1st time offshore (with one of the bottom bashing charters up there) with a friend of mine from Sydney, and although I caught my first semi-decent snap about 2.5kg with a bump on its head, the fishing was basically pretty slow but, I can't wait to get outside and try it all again.

Cheers,

James

Fixation
21-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Hey Ben,
Top stuff mate. Loved the photos. well done! looked magic out there.

Regards,
Craig

tunapikus
23-07-2008, 07:07 PM
seapup still wondering when and where for this cartoon im keen if u can have more then 6 then pistol week bastard

seapup
24-07-2008, 06:52 AM
Richard as I remember you owe me a carton for our Spaniard comp over summer. Where is it mate? 8-) I need it by this weekend.

seapup still wondering when and where for this cartoon im keen if u can have more then 6 then pistol week bastard

seapup
24-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi James
The new Chooks seem to work really well mate. Its always fun to try a new colour out. Where did the charter boat take you off Noosa - North or Sunshine Reefs??? We go a bit wider than that to chase our Snapper.
Cheers,
Benny.

G'day Benny,

That is some awesome fishing there! I haven't tried the new range of chooks yet but, it seems they all work and that you can't go wrong whatever color you choose.

I only wish I could have had the same luck as you guys. I went fishing off Noosa last Wednesday for my 1st time offshore (with one of the bottom bashing charters up there) with a friend of mine from Sydney, and although I caught my first semi-decent snap about 2.5kg with a bump on its head, the fishing was basically pretty slow but, I can't wait to get outside and try it all again.

Cheers,

James