PDA

View Full Version : Tcurve Difference

WestOzDesertFisher
17-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Just curious about the Shimano Tournament Tcurve Power Spin and the Tcurve Saltwater Spin. Now.. both rods are rated 5-10kg, both 2 piece and both are rated to throw 40-45g lures. The only difference I can see is that the Saltwater Spin is 3inches longer and priced marginally higher. So what is the real difference?? Also does anyone prefer any other light/medium spin sticks that would suit a reel in the 4000-5000 size??

Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers, Damo

ant_72
18-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Depends on what sort of budget you want to throw at the rod. Personally i would have a look at the Egrell bear series if it is within your budget

Roo
18-07-2008, 10:42 AM
When you hold the 2 different models in your hands the difference will be obvious.
The power spin is 6'7" and has quite a light tip for casting lighter lures and plastics yet has a strong bottom end. would be better suited to a lighter setup with a 2500 - 3000 size reels and up to 20lb braids.
The saltwater spin is a lot stiffer right the way through its length. More suited to your 4000-5000 size reels and 20lb + braids.
Cheers Roo.

WestOzDesertFisher
18-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Does everyone rate the Bear s10 over the Shimano's?? if so, y??

Roo
18-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Handmade in QLD. by a well respected rod designer using Quality NZ built Blanks that are custom rolled to the rod builders spec.;D Hard to beat really. Its a few steps closer to getting a Custom rod built for you...instead of a rod designed by a well respected rod designer and then mass produced in china.

The only advantage the T-curve has is......2 piece if you need to travel....and I like the Fuji hardware on them.....but the hardware Eric Grell uses is top quality too. just not fuji. If you didn't need 2 piece then I would pick the Egrell for my use. depends on what you want it to do. the Egrell would fit somewhere in between the 2 t-curves mentioned earlier for blank actions....possibly a better compromise as the t-curves have 2 different purposes.

Cheers Roo.

WestOzDesertFisher
18-07-2008, 02:45 PM
wat about the Nitro Distance Spin?? how would that compare to the others??

Roo
18-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I would rate the t-curve power spin as being very similar but with better spec fittings.
I don't like that the Nitro Only has standard Fuji Alconite guides and a No name reel seat...but costs more.

bayfisher
18-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I would rate the t-curve power spin as being very similar but with better spec fittings.
I don't like that the Nitro Only has standard Fuji Alconite guides and a No name reel seat...but costs more.

Don't underestimate the nitro range, I agree it is a bit of a disappointment that don't use better fittings however the nitro blanks are extremely good.

WestOzDesertFisher
18-07-2008, 10:40 PM
In what order would people rate these rods:
Egrell s10
Bear s10
Nitro Distance Spin Mag Butt
Tcurve Power Spin
Tcurve Saltwater Spin

If used mainly for throwing small poppers, metals and soft plastics but capable of handling hard fighting fish to 15kg. Going to be matched with a threadline reel and 20-25lb braid.

Roo
20-07-2008, 03:33 PM
1. Egrell s10
2. Bear s10
3. Tcurve Power Spin
4. Nitro Distance Spin Mag Butt
5. Tcurve Saltwater Spin

The saltwater spin rates last only because it is not suited to the lighter options you require. if you were going for heavier fishing then it would swap places with the other t-curve.......but ultimately its up to you.

Cheers Roo.

bayfisher
20-07-2008, 05:28 PM
It all depends on what feels right to you, or even what you mean by small poppers, I would rate (and have indeed bought) the Nitro Distance Spin Mag Butt over the s10 bear. The bear s10 feels like a much more heavy duty rod. The nitro is a little bit longer and a little lighter overall it can casts a 20g slug out of sight. If fishing up to 20lb line that would be my choice but if your looking to fish 30lb then the s10 bear would be a better option.

Steve B
20-07-2008, 08:45 PM
In what order would people rate these rods:
Egrell s10
Bear s10
Nitro Distance Spin Mag Butt
Tcurve Power Spin
Tcurve Saltwater Spin

If used mainly for throwing small poppers, metals and soft plastics but capable of handling hard fighting fish to 15kg. Going to be matched with a threadline reel and 20-25lb braid.

Egrell S10 first.....short half head to the
BeaR S10 second.....

the length of flemington straight....

then the rest in the same order as Roo.