PDA

View Full Version : My new toy (Cyclone 540)

scuttlebutt
17-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Well after 5 yrs with a tin boat I've switched to glass. The merciless beatings across NQ chop and cracked ribs (on the boat) finally convinced me to go looking for a softer ride.

The new (second-hand) rig is a Cyclone 540 side-console with 90 Optimax. Haven't had a chance to hit some real rough stuff yet, but a quick spin the other day left me very impressed. Hopefully I'll have it out to the reef in the near future.

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/4/7/17/t_IMG0323m_dfe92e1.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/7/17/f_IMG0323m_dfe92e1.jpg&srv=img32)

BrenMac
17-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Slick lookin' rig mate, congrats!

Cheers
Brendan

chucknduck
18-07-2008, 12:04 AM
scuttlebutt,

I recently bought a secondhand Cyclone 540 large cc. I reckon they're a real eye pleaser too.:)

Mick

legless
18-07-2008, 12:31 AM
as a cairns fisho ,could you give me a true run down on its performance in a 15 to 20kt NE chop.

scuttlebutt
18-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys. Mick, nice rig. I agree, they're a cool looking boat. I've read heaps of reviews raving about their rough water handling too, but I'll find out for myself.

Legless, I'll post up my thoughts after I take it out in some chop.

steve

pilchardjones
18-07-2008, 12:49 PM
gday steve,
i have heard lots of good things about those boats. i am sure you will be very happy mate. looks good too.
steve

Poseidon
18-07-2008, 03:12 PM
They are a coupla nice looking rigs.

chucknduck
18-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys.

Lancair
18-07-2008, 06:33 PM
They are dead sexy boats. :o

Please update when you have more time in the boats re handling, fishability etc.
I can always dream. :)

Robbo_Townsville
20-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I had a 540 side console for 18 months and was happy with its all round versatility. Had the ski pole / bait board which meant when the wind was up we would go tubing and skiing.

In the chop of Cleveland bay it would skip over the top, a bit unsettled at rest though due to its deep vee hull. Had a 115hp on it and would see 40mph at wot. If I could afford it I would have another to compliment my existing boat.

Cheers
Robbo

JIMMY80
21-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Hellaluya!
I am not the only one on here with a 540 cyclone.
see this thread.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=134601&page=2

Scuttlebutt in terms of North Queensland chop, these boats handle very well for their size. I tested my boat around magnetic island off townsville in a strong 15+ knot southeaster pushing a serious chop. After that i was hooked.
this hull is best travelling head on into the waves and the harder you drive em the better the ride.
They have a few traits that you will become aware off, that is you must have your load/passengers level as with all sharp deadrise hulls. I am half tempted to install trim tabs!!
at rest i have found that they are not to bad within reason, they will tilt but not dramatically.
My only regret is that i couldn't find a side console version, you don't see many on the secondhand market (no one wants to get rid of them).
and i didn't have the cash to go for the ultimate 680 Cyclone (oohhhhh baby).
I have seen one of these coming back from the reef off Ingham in NQ. Full noise a 680 would put a horn on a jellyfish!!

Is there anyone here with a 680??? pictures please

scuttlebutt
21-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Good to see some fellow Cyclone owners popping up.

I took the Cyclone out today from Yorkeys Knob and got to say it lived up to all the rave reviews I've read. The forecast was for 10-15 but of course it blew up above that - would have been at least 20.

The ride is softer than I would have imagined, and while I couldn't bring myself to push it to the max, I did get the prop out once (haven't heard that noise before!!!).

While they weren't comfortable conditions, it felt very safe and rode quite well at around 18 knots in the choppy stuff. And it's unbelievably dry too!!

Coming from a 5.2m tin centre console, this thing is so much better riding it doesn't even compare.

I'm converted.

steve

ps: Managed to get a couple spaniards trolling lures