PDA

View Full Version : Bad PR for fishermen on the 6pm news

Mike Delisser
17-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Some bad PR for anglers on the news tonight, both 7 & 9 covered it. Seems some dills went to gaff a Grey Nurse Shark off Byron recently and somehow managed to release the shark with the gaff still in its mouth. Looked to be a gaff with a 2 or 3 foot handle that had worked it's way into the gut, about 1 foot of the handle was sticking out through the sharks mouth stopping it from closing its jaws. Divers and Seaworld staff traped and sedated the shark then a vet removed the gaff, he said it looked like it had been there for a couple of weeks. Some pretty good footage of the vet removing the gaff actually but bad PR for us.

Also on the news was some footage of an unmanned centre console doing circles off a Gold Coast beach. Said the fishermen were knocked out by a wave then rescued by surfers and swimmers had to be cleared from the water because of the runnaway boat. All ended well and I know accidents happen when it makes the news????

Mike

Twisted_Pair
17-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Also on the news was some footage of an unmanned centre console doing circles off a Gold Coast beach. Said the fishermen were knocked out by a wave then rescued by surfers and swimmers had to be cleared from the water because of the runnaway boat. All ended well and I know accidents happen when it makes the news????

Mike

Apparently this boat did circles for an hour before a jet ski rider got someone on board, boy the owner was lucky because the circles were just behind the break and no damage done by the looks, could have been worse & flipped in the surf.

Obviously he didn't have or wasn't attached to his safety/kill switch lanyard:-[ .

Regards, T_P

Barralundee
17-07-2008, 11:34 PM
We should not assume that a fisherman tried to gaff the shark. It is more likely that the shark attacked a fish on the gaff, or a gaffed fished escaped with the gaff and the sharked helped it self to an easy meal. On the plus side hopefully the data that comes back from the electronic tag will again show how far and wide these sharks travel, and how useless the protection zones are. IMO

Barralundee

:-[ Sorry just read the other post on this but comments still stand

Sandman
18-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Yes i watched the news as well had me thinking how this could happen, i doubt it was on purpose, the gaff could have been used to try and remove hooks etc or as Burralundee mention the shark took a hooked fish although i guess it is plausable that some idiot shoved the gaff down the sharks mouth but i have my doubts.
Missed the bit about the boat but i lost a friend back in 91 in which he was hit by his jet ski in the surf but under very similar circumstances, this guy is exstremly lucky.
Mick

kokomo
23-07-2008, 03:19 PM
there are a lot of bogan fisherman....