PDA

View Full Version : Minor Engine Issues

Blackened
17-07-2008, 05:47 PM
G'day

Just been out for a run today, all of 53km for 11L of fuel at full noise with 3 pob.

Now, here's the issue, Engine is a Merc (US) 2000 model 9.9 2 banger.

Never ever misses a beat, but today after the big run I have tried to start her at home for a flush but nothing.

Pulled both spark plugs, top is clean like the day it was put in, the lower one is just the same with a slight bit of oil/gum on it. I had both plugs positioned near the block with the engine being pulled over and no spark was evident, nothing at all.

Any chance it could be the "switch box" the black box with all wires coming out of it at the rear port side of the engine?

Reason I think it may be this, is same symptoms were had when this happened last time, but fixed under warranty

Dave

honda900
17-07-2008, 06:08 PM
dave, does it try to fire at all?

cormorant
17-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Dead mans lanyard kill switch is where I'd be looking.

Blackened
17-07-2008, 07:29 PM
G'day

Honda, no fire, hence why I pulled the plugs.

Cormorant, checked that, all good

Dave

Kleyny
17-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Personally i never use a plug to test the spark.
I just grab the lead and crank the motor over;D :P . Seriously though i use a phillips head screw driver. Why a phillips head? If you get the right size it will fit perfectly inside th lead end.

I put the screw driver roughly 5mm from a good earth on the head. Then with the plugs out of the motor i pull like mad trying to keep the motor still.

This way will tell you if you have spark for sure.;)

neil

Blackened
18-07-2008, 08:05 PM
G'day

Well it's all good...... ended up being the stop button on the end of the tiller that had stayed stuck on, took it off and a bit of inox later, running like a champion

Dave

marty+jojo
18-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Good to hear ya got it going Dave. 53km with a 9.9hp is a big day of boating, where did ya go? Did ya get a few?
Marty.

Blackened
19-07-2008, 09:15 AM
G'day

Marty, that was cleveland, peel, horseshoe, dunwich, amity, back to peel, lazaret and then cleveland.

Didn't focus too much on the fishing, just mainly a cruise and good time

Picked up a nice squid and bloody big cuttlefish last night... pakora for tomorrow;)

Dave

Blackened
31-08-2008, 07:19 PM
G'day

Just an update

Took the boat in for a check as I tried to run the engine but to no avail. One half arsed attempt at it firing and then nothing, nothing and more nothing.

It was due for the 12mth service as it was, and ended up the issue being the CDI pack (switch box, mongrel black thing with wires )

A BIG thankyou to Anthony from Marine Worx up on redland bay road at the back of capalaba. Comes highly recommended by myself and others for a good job fair price and good communication.

His number is 0422330846.

Dave