PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a good cheap PFD & how to 'interact' with jetskiers

jim_bream
17-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey guys,
just joined the Yak club and am hunting for a new PFD.
Anyone know of any good deals at the mo? Any info gratefully received.

Also- first trip out on the Pine River saw me get DRENCHED by a sh1thead on a jet ski - (guy swerved in front of me and gave it a good squirt of juice) does this happen often to yakkers??? Thinking of getting a telescopic gaff...::)
**I got a 55cm flattie on the troll tho, so all is good ;D **

Any info gratefully received.
Jimbo

Atriplex
17-07-2008, 06:31 PM
With the pfd, in my experience it doesn't really matter when your paddling, i've paddled with plenty of really poor ones but they didn't annoy me at all - as long as it is able to save you from drowning any pfd will do.

As for the jetskiers, if I could vote, I would vote in favour of anyone who would legalise the shooting of jetskiers.

theclick
17-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I got the biggest, chunkiest, uglies pfd you could think of (think yellow and purple), and yet when I'm paddling, it doesnt bother me at all (dont even realise its on). It even keeps you warm in winter. I say, just buy something safe, and with pockets if possible.

As for the jet ski's, bring some big metal slugs with no trebles on them, clip em on and cast away. That should get their attention.

jim_bream
18-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Cheers guys,
bagged a cheapie from Big W ('et' brand, I'll just throw a patch over the 'et' emblem) and looking into a forward mount for my potato cannon.
Those jetskiers wont know what hit them- but they'll hear it.
Jimbo

Blueroo
25-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Just wait till the water skiers start when it gets warmer. They make the jet skiers look like angels. They don't give a toss about other water users. Ive had em come within about 3 or 4 meters up the South Pine. Downright dangerous.
Stue

Dezzer
13-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Just wait till the water skiers start when it gets warmer. They make the jet skiers look like angels. They don't give a toss about other water users. Ive had em come within about 3 or 4 meters up the South Pine. Downright dangerous.
Stue

Yeah the human lures do get pretty thick in the Pine at times. Theres just not enough room there for a ski area.

jim_bream
14-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Right,
telescopic gaff it is then... ;-)

coucho
14-08-2008, 02:23 PM
I like the foward mounted poatoe cannon idea!!! If the the cops ask you could tell them its a burley launcher.

scoocer101
17-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Go to any good camping shop and buy yourself a slingshot while there still legal to buy em here as queensland is the only legal place to buy em in australia. They will notice ya if u fire a ball bearing or a sinker into the side of there jetski lol ;D

jim_bream
19-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Hmm,
might need the potato cannon loaded with frozen orange and camping stove gas if I ping him with the slingshot and he decides to come back...
Tried that combo a while back and lost the orange in the clouds :-0

Mossy247
20-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Mate this wasn't last weekend was it? I saw the heap of jetski's in the pine river and I was getting quite peeved with the way they drive those things around near my boat, frankly... they could see I was irritated. I have no respect for people who don't respect ettiquite of the boat ramps, if somone is waiting to come in it usually means there is a line..... they cut the line as usual... my best thought, smile and wave, note the car they had and slash the tyres..... what they do to people is straight up dangerous and should loose their car license.... I guess its safety in numbers for those guys, mate if they were in trouble I would be happy to throw a sinker their way.

Blackened
20-08-2008, 02:41 PM
my best thought, smile and wave, note the car they had and slash the tyres

G'day

And you sound like a real hero

Dave

Mossy247
20-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Mate,
What they do isn't safe, It would be considered dangerous driving, I saw this loser on a jet ski circle people in a boat throwing water up at them....
hows this ok?
If I was cutting hoops on the road in my car mate, I would be fined and more than likely be charged with dangerous driving.... along with the list of fines longer than my arm..... Does someone have to be seriously injured before something happens???? If some idiot was cutting hoops around my kids in the street I would do more than slash his tyres. Play safe and Stay safe....

Mossy247
20-08-2008, 05:34 PM
G'day

And you sound like a real hero

Dave

Heroes save lives Dave. :P

Cheers

Hamish73
20-08-2008, 05:40 PM
just remember that not all jet skiiers are inconsiderate wankers. It's like saying all fisherman are lazy pricks because they leave their fish guts and frames all over the ground at the ramps. Like with most sports, its the actions of few that spoil it for everyone else
30m and 6 knots?? isnt that the rule? They all have rego numbers. No one like to be a 'dobber' but some people are just too stupid to be able to figure it out for themselves without a reminded from Mr Policeman

Blackened
20-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Heroes save lives Dave. :P

Cheers

G'day

They sure do, but I garuntee they go about their heroics in a different matter.

Dave

jim_bream
24-08-2008, 09:51 AM
OK OK OK guys,
let's just agree that everyone does n't have the same courtesy and violence never solved anything (no smart remarks thanks!).
Increase the peace....
Jimbo

bassfan
17-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Get the QB&FP off their lazy arses :-X to come & sort 'em out. Not a good idea to get involved personally, that can be dangerous to your health. ;)

struktcha_man
21-11-2008, 07:35 AM
yes theres nothing more annoying than having the peacful panorama shattered by some fuel injected speed machine buzzing by at close and inconsiderate proximity.

I hate that..

(eh,, sorry, Im way off topic)

Dan

oldboot
22-11-2008, 08:58 AM
A picture can say a thousand words.......waterproof digi camera or even your camera phone may be enough evidence to support a fine.

some of the distances for PWCs are greater than 30 meters.

I agree that a written complaint may be helpfull in getting some inforcement.

cheers

jim_bream
22-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Cheers oldboot,
waterproof camera added to the quiver :-)

Braddles
27-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I think Hamish summed it up well. There are good and bad of all types.

I am an avid wave runner owner and rider, and one who is responsible.
I am also a fisherman, one who is responsible.

Now if I wasnt a fisherman, my view could be that fisherman are environmental vandals. I could go on about the disgusting amount of rubbish I see polluting the broad water and its many sand islands. Bait bags, fishing line tangles, ice bags and empty beer bottle tallie stuffed with a bait bag was my last supprise when I beached on the deserted and what should be pristine side of wavebreak island for a picnic.

Or last time I was fishing off redcliffe in a mates boat at night, and we came across a "pod" of people in kyaks with NO LIGHTS ON, and it was only the fact that we were in a 4st doing 15 odd knotts that we heard their voices yelling to each other and laughing before we seen them in the pitch black.

Sure Jet skies are in your face. Thats because some have 200hp and supercharged engines in 8ft vessels and accelerate faster than a V8 on land 0-100km/hr - so doing this 100m from you will cause more notice than a kyak being paddled gracefully along the shore...... and neither are doing anything wrong... Its just jet skies are loud, noisey, in your face and if your not on them grinning from ear to ear - I appreciate they can be a pain in the ar*e.

I think it comes down to tollerance and respect for each other, and leading by example. We also need to report dangerous behaviour and if caught - massive fines exist. I am not condoning that for a second - and I hope they are caught and their jetskies (or boats or kyaks) are crushed just like car hoons on land.

We have all been embarrassed at times by being falsy represented by people from our various hobbies / fraternities... Many times I have landed at the grand hotel jetty boat ramp and cringed at the bogans on wave runners with their language around families and kids, or cutting accross that turning beacon with no regard for others safety...... but I too have seen this with boaties, fisherman and Kyaks.

I will finish on one last thing, I think wave runner riders are under regulated, and this ignorance of some riders contributes to them pi**ing people off. As I indicated, some off the shelf jetskies are literally rockets on water, and yet all I need is 25K, some balls, and a PWC license (in QLD) or a recreational marine license in some other states, and I am competent to operate a missile. There is no "L" or "P" plate consideration, no reduction in pillion passanger limitations, no speed limit restriction etc etc.... and no real education. I think helmets should be mandatory, and reduced speed and teared / probationary license structure should be implemented. There also needs to be a greater police presence on the water, to control the rouges from all vessel types.

*steps of soap box*

JACK_O
19-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey guys,
just joined the Yak club and am hunting for a new PFD.
Anyone know of any good deals at the mo? Any info gratefully received.

Also- first trip out on the Pine River saw me get DRENCHED by a sh1thead on a jet ski - (guy swerved in front of me and gave it a good squirt of juice) does this happen often to yakkers??? Thinking of getting a telescopic gaff...::)
**I got a 55cm flattie on the troll tho, so all is good ;D **

Any info gratefully received.
Jimbo

1 thing the wankers forget mate, we can wait at the boat ramp and ive been there and done that before up at maroochy river. Once they climb off that thing they are no longer further up the food chain from us kayaks. Like all things in life mate it's just a matter of show each other some respect or maybe some big ugly 6' 4' ###### on a kayk will hand you your arse. merry christmas fellow kayakers

greenie.77
20-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Paddle over to a really shallow sandbank then start abusing them, they will come over to wet you, and might get a little suprise at the depth!!!

jareyjareyjareyjarey
25-01-2009, 11:28 AM
does it make me a bad person if, when i saw a jetskier fall off and seriously hurt himself, i just had a little giggle to myself?

2manylures
31-01-2009, 02:51 PM
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/Pics-from-Digs/Warship.jpg

This should serve as both, if not interaction with jet skis should be minimal.:o;)