PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Rod Holders

Gorms83
17-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Gday Guys,

Firstly i apologise for raising the topic as im sure its been covered in previous posts, though from reading earlier threads its been said that the Berkley road Holders tend to break/snap under pressure.

Ive recently bought one to try out on my tinny, but im not sure if they are breaking when used in deep sea with quite large fish, or if they are just flat out breaking.

All ill be catching is Bream, Flathead and will try for Jew Fish from time to time.

The Reels i will be using are Baitrunners, so with it set up, the rod wont be placed under too much pressure when i eventually grab it.

Could you guys see the Berkley lasting in the long run?

Thanks for reading

Gorms.

Gagga08
17-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Hey Gorms.

I've have had two Berkley rod holders set up in my tinny for a couple of years now. I only use them when bait fishing during the snapper season in Port Phillip Bay, normally I fish using soft plastics. The holders have held up well. They have been holding rods when 8 kilo snapper have taken the bait and sent the reels screatching, bending the rods right over. I'm sure this places a heap of preasure on the holder but as I said they are fine, no snaps or cracks to be seen anywhere.

Gagga

ant_72
18-07-2008, 08:39 AM
To me they are the best value rod holder on the market as you don't need to buy extras for rail mounts. Build quality is pretty good although not quite as heavy duty as others on the market. Have never seen one break ( not saying none have ) but best value and should do what you want it for

Gorms83
18-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Awesome, Thats what i was hoping to hear!

Crisp Bee
18-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I bought one, but have not tested it with any major fish yet. Seems to work well.
Went in to BCF one day and they had a special (BCF brand) for $15.
I saw one at the counter and the stubb was broken off at the bottom. When I asked about it, the young Checkout Chick said they would happily replace them when they broke. So I asked her if they would also replace the rod and reel as it went over the side of the boat with a big fish on the end of the line when the mount broke off.
I don't think she understood what i meant, so I bought the Berkley from the local tackle shop.
Not worth saving $10 only to loose a Rod and Reel over the side.

2manylures
19-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I opted for Cannon holders for this very reason.

It doesn't make much sense to me personally to save $10 or $20 to have an $800 - $1000 outfit go over the side.

Without sounding up myself, I always try to buy the best quality available & if I can't afford it, I wait & save. At least I know it will go the distance which is better value for money than the alternative. Yes I learnt the alternative hard way quite a lot of yrs back.

moater
20-07-2008, 12:10 AM
I've used a couple and will be fitting another 1 to my new boat,but for much heavier duty work I'm going to use the 3 Scotty Powerlock holders that I bought from USA--about half price @ $35 each with post...this was with a Berkley also and when the Aus dollar was nowhere near as strong as now.

If ya get Scotty Powerlocks and ya want some extra mounting points,let me know as I've got a few bases to offload,new in their packs as I bought 10 from the US and don't need all of them...dirt cheap @ $5 each.

In all seriousness the Scotty holders make the Berkley look and feel like a toy!;D

Darren 8-)