PDA

View Full Version : Mustard Tainawa - using a snell knot

dodge69
17-07-2008, 01:40 PM
G'day fisho's

I have been advised by a reputable tackle shop owner to use Mustad 20202R Tainawa circle hooks for bottom bashing when chasing red emporer and other big reefies.

Has anyone used these, and can verify them for strength. They are reasonably priced and hence a little worried?

He also recommended using a Mustad 7766D Tarpon for ganging hooks. Can anyone verify their strength under bigger loads.

Finally he recommends using the snell knot to tie on the hooks. Does anyone else use this type of knot that can vouch for its strength.

Thanks for your help!!

Cheers

Dodge

banshee
17-07-2008, 07:06 PM
The Mustad Tainawa is a brilliant hook,it stays sharp and doesn't rust easily,I don't think I've ever thrown one in the bin as they get reused till I lose them.They are a relatively heavey guage hook for their size,the ones I use (don't know the size numbers without going out to the shed) are comparable to a 3/0 and have handled 8-10 kilo samson/AJ's with ease.Looking at them you would wonder how a fish ever gets the point embeded in and the shape definately puts a lot of people off them but if you buy some you won't be dissapointed.To snell these hooks you would have to tie to the shank and use the eye as a stop much like the older style hooks that had the flatened solid tops instead of eyes.These hooks are very popular amongst the commercial longliners,a tip for you.......don't strike at the fish on feeling the bite instead wait till you feel a bit of weight on the line and lift.