PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in ten years time

Vindicator
16-07-2008, 08:47 PM
With the latest predictions on fuel prices being $8/L in ten years time, I'm just wondering who'll be able to afford to go fishing. Does this mean we have to get the oars back out? There won't need to be any such thing as green zones by then.

Cheers
Kezza

Scott nthQld
16-07-2008, 08:51 PM
yeah no need for green zones, but y that time fishing will be a matter of "back in the day". In ten years time, the rate the greenies are going fishing will be completely outlawed.

Cammy
16-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Convert to gas thats what i plan to do, is it really worth converting to gas, anyone have experiences is it better or bad?

I think most people on here will still go fishing, just because its a way to escape the city and the Polluted Air, also to get out of the house.

I probably wont go as often because of the petrol, or if i go i will go with some mates and we all pitch in for fuel. Less people on the water means there will be more fish,,,,but no one can fish:(

Cammy

2manylures
16-07-2008, 11:04 PM
With the latest predictions on fuel prices being $8/L in ten years time, I'm just wondering who'll be able to afford to go fishing. Does this mean we have to get the oars back out?

Cheers
Kezza

Gonna be bloody hard rowing with the boat hooked up.

BARRAkid
17-07-2008, 08:10 AM
If it does end up costing that much I will be sticking to bream and bass fishing and maybe buy myself a canoo or a bass boat with a 80lb electric and a few batteries ;D

TimiBoy
17-07-2008, 08:45 AM
A couple of points on the subject;

Fuel economy on new engines will improve,

Wages will go up considerably as well, and taxes may reduce further.

$8 was probably predicted by the same guy that said Y2K would fry all our computers - he was only right if you watch Family Guy!

It's a worst case scenario. Don't be worryin' your pretty little heads about it too much yet;D;D;D;D.

Someone will perfect a Nuclear Fusion engine, and we'll run our boats on banana peel, which means we will be beset with bad luck, and never catch a damned thing. Then the Greenies will go away, because we will not only be using recycled fuel, but we won't be raping the environment!

Maybe burning the ester that gives bananas their smell produces a particularly bad greenhouse gas? Bananas will be the death of us yet!

Cheers,

Tim

Noelm
17-07-2008, 09:04 AM
I guess it just comes down to your outlook on things, I remember way back when everyone predicted that Petrol would be just so expensive and cars as we know them would disappear, all things Petroleum based would be gone, that was about 1970 something, did not happen, V8's came back, 300HP Outboards were born, sure it must come to an end, but when and the result is almost unknown, we will just deal with it when it does, 10 years? doubt it, 20 years? maybe, 50 years? almost certain that we will have a completely different power source by then, but to most of us, we will just be a memory or a photo on the wall of Grandad who used to own a Petrol Powered Boat and only needed to travel 30 miles out to catch the long extinct Snapper with old Graphite Rods and Plastic lures!

Dirtysanchez
17-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I'll be looking for a small boat with an inboard diesel engine, which I will run on Bio fuels.
It will be great, duck into woolies for some mullet for bait, and 26 bottles of deep fry oil for fuel for the boat.
Try explaining that shopping trolley full to the check out chick !

FNQCairns
17-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Possibly there is the option for home fuel distillers, everything cellulosein structurewill make ethanol to varying degrees, grass clippings, old fruit throw in a couple of doggy dodoos for a little methanolised zing:).

There is scope although what we as individuals deemed worthy to be allowed will make the difference...it's important to protect the money first.

Old diesel I knew of could run on cream, real cream not todays store bought slop.

cheers fnq

Reel Nauti
17-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Personally I have little faith in the $8.00 forecast. A lot of these sorts of claims are thrown out to the public to prepare us for higher prices in the future, but falling short of present predictions. This then sits more comfortably with the consuming public, and permits the pollies the opportunity to take a bow for a job well done.

I'm not stressing about it.........yet!!

Dave

Volvo
17-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Fuel ever went to $8 a litre you'de have more to worry about than the price of fuel fer sure :)..

Vindicator
17-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Fuel ever went to $8 a litre you'de have more to worry about than the price of fuel fer sure :)..

This is exactly the point. It would be bad enough paying that for fuel but think of the prices of everything else because it all has to be transported and the transporters have to cover their @r$e.

Cheers
Kezza

Donny Boy
17-07-2008, 12:36 PM
What's the problem..??

If he's wrong.......it doesn't get to $8.
If he's right......the average minimum wage will be $ 246,327.00

So much for Kevin 07 giving his mates $1400 a week pay rise.

tigermullet
17-07-2008, 12:46 PM
$8 per litre would imply a per barrel cost of crude of $800. Wow.

Another scenario (and one which I favour) puts the cost per litre back down to 70 to 80 cents per litre within six months.

Either of those means doom in our times.

A sack full of gold, a trout rod and heading for the hills might be a good idea.:P

Noelm
17-07-2008, 12:53 PM
OK, heres the solution, we all buy a small tinny, an electric outboard or two (or more, depending on your Boat) a couple of decent Batteries, and a Solar/Wind charger, you leave the Boat on the trailer untill the Batteries are charged, Launch the Boat, drive/fish till the Batteries are flat, row/sail/spare Battery home, back on the trailer, wait for a recharge from the Sun/Wind maybe a couple of days or weeks, and back out you go, all for nothing, free, nix, not a sausage! and not a drop of Polution to be seen.

Noelm
17-07-2008, 12:55 PM
OH, and I forgot the biggest advantage, no more arguing about 2 strokes V 4 strokes, or Etecs, or oils, or any of that crap.

Dirtysanchez
17-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Noel, I used to do almost that, had the leccy on the canoe, and the amount of time between fishes for me I could plug the battery into the solar charger on the shed. Trouble is the attitude of some boaters around Brisbane towards a bloke in a little red canoe, and a few brown undy incidents helped me decide it was time to upgrade to something more substantial!!

I reckon I could get one of those little 3 cylinder Peugot Diesel motors and fit it in the back of the tinny, and it would go for a week on a 2 ltr bottle of deep fry oil!

Mind you, its only a 6hp anyway, so it goes for a week on 5ltrs of petrol.

honda900
17-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Some seem to have missed the 16% price hike in electricity, when petrol hits the $8 mark you can bet leccy will not be far behind.

if you watch what is going on at the moment, absolutely everything is going up, with no good ryhm or reason, seems to me that some companies have seen an opportunity to jack prices up without any justification.. mmm..

Well I can tell you prices for IT consultants will be going in up alignment of my estimated inflation rate, in mid october (Annual review time) ;)

Regards
HOnda

bushbeachboy
17-07-2008, 05:30 PM
As someone famous once said: "The rich are gettin' richer, the poor get the picture." I think it was our bestest buddy Peter Garrett, but stnd to be corrected on that.

Vindicator
17-07-2008, 05:39 PM
The bombs never hit ya when your down so low????????? I think he MUST have been on drugs

RAT-KING
20-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Where ever there is money to be made there will always b new inventions (after all necessity is mother of inventions) u never know someone on this site may invent a new elec/petrol engine!!!! Im not worried about petrol im worried about fish stocks if we dont do something about commercial fishing we will be in real trouble ive said it a million times if we dont start looking after wat we have we wont have anything How old is a 5 kilo snapper probably 5-10 yrs?? then how old does a snapper have to be before it starts spawning? Theres my whinge
Cheers Simon

tenzing
20-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I like to think that things wont be too bad.
There will be no bastard on the road in the morning so I'll get there earlier and less stressed and spend the extra time in the am earning the fuel money for the car,
In the pm I'll stay at work a little longer as it wont take long to get home on the quiet roads, and I'll do that 5 days a week to spend on the fuel for the boat.
Fishing will be a lot easier as the boat traffic will be down too!
Brendan

BtotheM
20-07-2008, 09:32 PM
That will be the day tenzing haha

Xahn1960
20-07-2008, 09:48 PM
$8L for fuel ??? scary thought ! I'd like to think that we'll be running around with hydrogen powered boats using solar cells for power to seperate the fuel. Being boats, water won't be a problem and the greenies sure as hell won't have any polution issues to winge about :)
Bill.

Bill_Corten
21-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Hello Ausfishers.
Haven't posted on here for some years but this is an interesting topic that is a good lead to other things.
A fair bit has happened in the last week with Qld DPI Fisheries commencing a review of the rocky reef fish species and there is potential for recreational fishers who are passionate about their snapper fishing to be hurt more with the outcomes of this process than by increasing fuel prices.
Will forward some details on to the administrators to get the information out there for feedback into the review process.

Cheers
Bill

mik01
21-07-2008, 11:34 AM
only problem is that by then, the world will be decimated by oil wars, you will need an arsenal of weapons to safely get you anywhere on the road due to fuel robbers - and your car would need to be a v8!

at least you would have your trusty cattle dog, and some crappy leather threads while you roam the 'badlands' searching for fuel of your own.

oh, wait - that story has been done before...

WyldFisher
21-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Get a good paying job and your laughing!

Scalem
21-07-2008, 10:00 PM
It certainly sounds like curtains for my ol' carbie 2S egg beater, and here was me thinking I could possibly transfer it onto an upgrade boat capable of getting me offshore where the bigger fish live. It's proving harder and harder for me personally as a family man. I never would have beleived my 55 ltrs of fuel cost me $90.00 + oil and plastics. Yeow!! My finance manager (wife)will be putting me on a budget of one trip per month before long!!>:(

Bill Corten, nice to see you make an appearance and welcome, I had a read of the DPI review of the rocky reef fish, and it's obvious they will be looking at the macro of all manner of things including deep water jigging etc. Do we treat this as a threat or should we try work with them as our allies? Whatever befalls us, we can't fight the tide that is DPI but have to try ensure they receive all the right data and what our motto was for the AFLP - " A Balanced approach" based on factual information

Scalem

Bill_Corten
21-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi Scalem

Thanks for the welcome and yes you are on the money. There is real potential for recreational fishers to be squeezed in this review of the rocky reef fishery especially if you fish for snapper.
There are a lot of competing interests for continued and in some cases totally unfettered access to this fishery, so it is important that all fishers are aware of the review and make an effort to provide input into the process, regardless of how left field it may be if it helps provide a balanced outcome.
Lucky Phill has been kind enough to assist in starting a post on this topic under "General" and I am hoping to field a lot of comment and ideas that can be fed back into the process at the next working group meeting on 4/5 August.
It is likely to be a drawn out process, but we all need to be on the front foot now and contribute before we end up with a debacle like the proposed Moreton Bay green zones as it would be difficult to claw back lost ground after the event.

Cheers
Bill