PDA

View Full Version : my new stainless rudder

Razgo-
16-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Nothing exciting to actually look at but just one more thing getting me closer to getting her back in the water. tomorrow new antifoul goes on and hopefully get it slipped by Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCLyhmLqwZc

Benno1
25-07-2008, 11:48 AM
how did everything go???...update??

cormorant
25-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Stainless running gear.

Be very careful using stainless in a place where it is permanently underwater. Stainless requires oxygen to create an oxidises protective layer on it's surface. You will find the stainless will pit quite quickly on a moored boat and that is without considering the copper in antifoul or stel mooring chains that can all accelerate corrosion be it on it's surface or where it connects to other running gear.

Most running gear is admiralty bronze to avoid these issues.

Not sure what the original rudder size was but also be aware there is constant pressure o the rudder and a small increase in size can often break components in the steering , arms or bushing. May steer a little better but is extremelt stressful unless heavy fittings were in there to start with

Hope it works out OK

Razgo-
25-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Well it did get in the water but then broke down about a K outside the marina. I pulled over not far from the marina for the sole purpose of checking things over and making sure it would restart.

well it didn't :) The alternator went on it. The anchor wouldn't stick either too well and kept drifting with the tide to the main entrance of the marina. Just when you think your out "they pull you back in" :) lol.

The mechanic came out with another battery so i could start it and bring her back.

There is an anode on the rudder so that should help the rudder.
The steering arm inside isn't the best and will need modifying. But yes the forward steering is extremely good and can probably turn on a dime. But revers steering is practically non existing.

Took 3 spare alternators my cousin had down to the boat today but none fitted due to the offset arm being slightly different to what i had. So I am ordering a new one next week.

The biggest blow wasn't any of that but was when talking to the mechanic he mentioned how people are putting pods on now with outboards instead of repairing v-drives etc...

So i say well how much for a full depth pod and outboard? He said a new Merc 60HP with full depth pod probably fitted and done for just under 10K. Of course i could jut buy a second hand 60 or 75HP for around 3K and the pod for about 2 1/2K

That was devastating news because i had just spent that amount on fixing the v-drive setup and its still a little noisy withe the housing a bit damaged inside.

SO basically for the same $'s i could have just put a full depth pod with a 60 or 75 on the back and got a shit load more room to boot on the boat!!

hindsight has a lot to answer for!

here is the video of the travel lift day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmSXB5RMCu8