PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Query

L-Plate
16-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Hello

We have a dual axle dunbier trailer that is home to a 600R Haines Hunter. Both are relatively new purchased April 08. We have trailered the boat approximately a dozen times from the Bayside to Pinkenba and usually do not exceed 80-85kms on the highway. We have close to zero experience when looking at trailers but noticed what had the appearance of molten lead/steel pushing out from under and around the bolts. I have managed a picture but not sure if it shows it very well - We only noticed this recently and by the time we went to take a picture - we had used the boat again and it appeared to have broken off in most places. This was apparent on approximately 80% of the bolts. You can also see how the paint is cracking around the bolts - is this normal? We have greased the wheel bits once since purchase and always check the rims for heat after driving. It is a drive on/off trailer and has been submerged in seawater but is given a thorough wash down with fresh water after every trip. She is going in for some work in August and will be checked by the shop however a little enlightenment wouldn't go astray - for checks and balances against what we will be told:-/

Cheers

cormorant
16-07-2008, 02:21 PM
if that is a wheel nut I think you will find that that "grease"is a special waterproof antiseize grease that will make sure the nuts don't get frozen onto studs and bolts.

Give Dunbier or a dealer a call as they are good to deal with and happy to help.

It might be worth asking them the product name and telling us all so we can use it also.

One word of warning - all antiseize compounds are not created equal. Many have a copper base which will cause or speed corrosion. Just make sure it is a dumbier product not something some wally of a dealer thinks was a good idea.

With greasing the self greasers on the wheel hubs make sure you use the same grease that was originally in them. At first service make sure thetrailer is checked a ssome bearings wear in a little when new and a little nip up will extend their life. Dunbier use good bearings so also worth gettong a spare set to leave in the tool kit.

C

Also you may wish to just run around with a wheel brace and check that they are all tensioned and also check you ca undo them as the dealers often use rattle guns and do them unbearably tight. Better to find out now than when you have a flat on the side of the road. Also check your jack is rated to lift the weight of your trailer and carry a couple of blocks of wood to help. The correct size is also essential to have in teh towing car or in a locked box on the trailer.

EDIT Have just looked at the photo ona full size computer screen. Chipped paint from corrosion or possibly the rattle gun it was done up with.

Angla
16-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Just saltwater corrosion to the wheel rims. Some of that white stuff (paint) will flake off. I am of the belief that the wheels and tyres are of the cheap variety.
I am going to replace all my wheels and tyres at a point where they look too bad to drive around with. I am thinking of a nice magnesium wheel with a long lasting tyre.
I have also found that my rims (which are the same as yours) are now twisted and no longer balanced due to twisting of the dual axles around a tight corner of the house. This can be seen by an out of balance at 100 odd Km/Hr. Its not drastic, just annoying.

Chris

L-Plate
16-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Chris

Yep - understand your statement about the twisting - we are storing the boat next to house - tight corner and slight downward slope (across boat) for water runoff (household drainage). I have noticed that the rims do not appear to be straight up and down. Will definitely keep an eye on.

Will also discuss concerns with Dunbier.

Cheers

boatboy50
16-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey L-

Looks like some corrosion of some sorts? Maybe differing metals reacting together like an ally boat does with stainless? Others will have a better idea than me.

Very nice choice in boat by the way, it doesn't get much better in the 6m range currently.

Regards

Darren

cormorant
16-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Just edited my earlier post as I can now see it is paint chipped / corroded off. Other guys had it right.

Are the dumbier rims Galvanised proir to painting?? If they are it is just cosmetic so touch it up if you want. If they aren't galvanised that is pretty sad and shows a pretty crappy quality painted wheel.

Speak dunbier.

bigfella23
21-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Wheels are galvanised , then powdercoated. Podercoating is brittle and the wheel nuts will crack the podercoating a little.

Mr__Bean
21-07-2008, 12:40 PM
And the galvanising is soft and extrudes out past the nut when they are first tightened and settled.

Newly galvanised wheels must have their nuts re-torqued after their initial installation and again after some road time, it is quite surprising how loose they become after having been on the road for the first time.

- Darren