PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude 15hp starting problem

hodges4
16-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I've been helping a neighbour get his 2 stroke 15hp Evinrude, approx 1992, running. It wont start when cold. What we've found is we can get it started by using an electric drill and socket on the flywheel nut. Once started it runs well and can be restarted easily using the recoil starter.
If allowed to cool down it needs the electric drill again.

Anyone got any ideas where we should start.

I'm going away tomorrow for a weeks fishing so will not be able to answer any replies till I return.

thanks in advance

John

goldfish
16-07-2008, 02:46 PM
I had one doing a similer thing it turned out to be the fuel primer bulb (not pumping fuel up properly but once started the fuel pump took over). will it start cold on areo-start (or simeler) if it starts on this cold try a new bulb or make sure the carby's fuel bowel is full.
might be way off the mark but something easy to try.
cheers
rick.

Spaniard_King
16-07-2008, 02:50 PM
John,

Have found a common fault with them is that when someone messes with the carby they fail to connect the choke lever up properly to the carby making them hard to start

BaitThrower
16-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Yeah check choke. Fuel seems to drain out of the carby/fuel lines under the hood quickly after switching off. If I leave my Johnno 15Hp outboard off for more than 5 mins in rolling water, I most often have to full choke it and give it a few yanks on the cord to get the fuel back flowing again. After that all is fine. Mine is an older '86 model though.

ryank
16-07-2008, 07:11 PM
hey mate.

sonuds like it is the carbs. take it off and give it a good clean out in kero or fuel. make sure all the jets are free.