PDA

View Full Version : Bits for an old Mercury

Xahn1960
16-07-2008, 12:10 PM
G'day Guy's

I'm looking for a supplier of parts for an old Mercury 225 outboard ( 80's model ), Most places I've spoken with are more interested in telling me how old it is and that I need a new one. A new beastie is planned for next year but in the interim this old girl has given faithfull service and I want to redo it. So any leads or contacts would be much appreciated.

Thanks Bill.

Noelm
16-07-2008, 12:56 PM
I guess the obvious is a Mercury Dealer, followed by the wreckers, depends on what you want and if it is still available new. If you want to go for the wreckers, there is a really good one in NSW that will post/freight parts to you and are very good, Arizona Outboard Wreckers, they are near Newcastle (sort of)

bushbeachboy
16-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Try NQ Outboard Wreckers in Townsville. They seem to have a wide range of parts.

Xahn1960
16-07-2008, 06:10 PM
The Mech says only new bits for the powerhead but good S/H is fine for the rest, so I'll definately check out those wreckers but still chasing a source of new parts...

Thanks Bill.

Wayne_Red
17-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Arizona outboard wreckers, I have bought new and old parts from them for an old mariner. Ph 02 4392 6869 email arizona3@bigpond.net.au
Big wreckers, half way between Newcastle and Sydney. Worth a try.
Regards Wayne

BM
17-07-2008, 10:37 PM
What parts precisely do you need?

Xahn1960
18-07-2008, 11:40 PM
What parts precisely do you need?

Not sure yet, Mechanic won't get to strip it down for another week or two... The motor runs fine just very low compression ( no surprise.. its about 25 years old ). Just trying to figure whats available as he will not have a lot of time ( its being done as a favour, between other jobs and he hasn't worked on outboards in about 10 years ).

Bill.

BM
19-07-2008, 08:34 AM
What do you call low compression Xahn? And an 80's model Merc should see every single part available or almost every part.

Cheers

Xahn1960
19-07-2008, 09:51 AM
What do you call low compression Xahn? And an 80's model Merc should see every single part available or almost every part.

Cheers

65 - 70 psi, I've been told should be 100+ Other than that it runs great easy to start and very reliable. My main worry with parts was more the reaction I got from the first few places I spoke to :) comments like " too exspensive to fix " " won't get parts" & " we'll sell you a better one " so I figured I'd ask the question here.

Thanks Bill.

BM
19-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Bill, you get that answer from anyone who has an engine franchise. They need to sell engines in order to retain their franchise.

Heres a little secret for you: large dealers do not like to pull engines apart at all. If the gearbox had a small issue they will sell you an entire new gearbox alltogether. Most will not pull them down. Too much time involved. Over 10 yrs old and most large dealers won't touch them. A major dealer here in Vic won't touch over 7 yrs old so I am told!!!

You need a repairer who is independant. Independants consider just replacing things like entire gearboxes when all it needs is a repair as ripping people off. Many people don't know any better and just get taken for a ride by the large dealers.

Re your engine, yep V6's tend to run around 90-110psi commonly. If your engine still runs well at 65psi (I agree thats low) then I would continue to run it, until you replace it. I would try a can (or 2) of engine tuner through it and you could go as far as replacing the head gaskets but if shes running mate, then leave it be.

Don't spend money when you don't have to.

Cheers

Xahn1960
19-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks BM, good advice... I have trip planned for late October then shes parked up till March, so no point looking at engines till after Christmas, in the mean time, just trying to make sure shes in best possible nick for October ( going to be in the water for 3 weeks ).

Thanks Bill.

OPTI
19-07-2008, 03:41 PM
mate if its lower than 100 psi compression you have a problem ,dont run it.
if its a blown head gasket you will suck water into the engine and do more damage ,like crank and rods,that will be expensive.it sounds like it hasnt been maintained propperly.pull the heads off and have a look thats the first step,and go from there.the 225 was one of the best motors ever made from mercury,big carbies and 7 petal reeds and they loved to rev ,depending on use id keep it,you can get every part you need brand new from any mercury dealer.
if you have any problems let me know im getting parts from the us all the time .
cheers opti.8-)

Xahn1960
19-07-2008, 06:10 PM
OPTI, it will have the heads off prior to going out, I suspect its just worn rings as the motor overall is in great conditition and has been looked after pretty well. Being as the compression is down in all cylinders and still pretty even I doubt a head gasket has blown out, however these will be replaced when it gets checked out anyhow. I'm very glad to hear parts supply is ok, I was a bit concerned before I started this thread.

Thanks Bill.

OPTI
19-07-2008, 06:23 PM
id be surprised if the rings are worn ,the pistons wear out before the rings in those engines.if they are all even however it might be the compression guage you are you using. they should be 125 psi each cyclinder on a accurate guage.eveness is more important ,if they are all the same i wouldnt worry.check for good spark on all 6 at cranking and youll be fine.