PDA

View Full Version : Greasey Material Coming From Prop Area

thedeckie
16-07-2008, 10:53 AM
After the River to Mud I noticed a greasy type substance coming from my water intake on the bottom of the motor, I haven't taken the prop off as yet to investigate but would anyone here possibly be able to shed some light on what the cause could be.

Someone at the R2M suggested it may be a seal at the back of the prop??

Or maybe someone has tried to sabotage me!!!;D

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Roughasguts
16-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Check the gear box oil to see if it's milky or just got no oil left for a start.
Then change it with new stuff, also put thread sealer (permatex blue liqiuid stuff) on all the drain fill bolts got to keep that water out, and oil in.

If the oil is good then it's just un burnt two stroke oil mixed with carbon running down, and that's no problem., just looks bad.

cormorant
16-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Gearbox and 2 stroke oil smell different and 2 stroke will smell burnt.

The likely seal that will be stuffed if it is coming from the water intakes will be the shift saft or driveshaft seal on the top of teh gearbox under the waterpump.

As above check oil in gearbox for both level and also if it is milky.

If it is not milky and if up at the full level chances are it is 2 stroke oil which can build up in motors wich don't come up to operating temp ( thermostat stuffed) or motors that spend excessive time at idle or troll. Oil pools in the crankcase and can lso be a sign if it is an oil injected motor ( not a premix) that a oil pump seal is stuffed or oil pump is over oiling etc etc.

Either way pull the prop and check for line in there as it is just good maintainance. If you do your own work drop the box off and check the waterpump and seals underneath for obvious damage signs. Lightly grease bolts and put it back together.

If the motor has run overoiled for a while it may be worth using a decarb spray once you have the oil problem solved a sit will clean the oil ring and carbon deposits in the combustion champer an dexhause port.

Tell us if you find anything.

thedeckie
16-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Check the gear box oil to see if it's milky or just got no oil left for a start.
Then change it with new stuff, also put thread sealer (permatex blue liqiuid stuff) on all the drain fill bolts got to keep that water out, and oil in.

If the oil is good then it's just un burnt two stroke oil mixed with carbon running down, and that's no problem., just looks bad.

The motor is oil injected (30hp Yamaha) and did do a lot of slow travelling on that particular night andthat was one of my thoughts that it d been running a lot at low speed and not burning oil quick enough.

Cheers

Paul