PDA

View Full Version : Fitting spectra rope to winch

stevenc
16-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Going to change over my cable to spectra and was planning on installing before I took the boat out next time. On the instruction sheet it says Important to first load under tension using the weight of the boat etc. I dont really fancy changing cables at the ramp if I can help it, but if it is that important I will do it.
I cant see the difference in just rolling it on at home then when at the ramp letting it out fully before loading up the boat after the fishing trip.
My only thoughts are that maybe they are concerned that cause rope is not tight on drum initially that rope may slip around and boat slides back etc? Just curious what do most do.
Thanks

peterbo3
16-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I changed my wire to Spectra as soon as I got my boat home. Wound it on & then tensioned it at the ramp on the first retrieve. I have a safety chain & tie down strap so the boat did not move on the trailer. I had no problems.

Roughasguts
16-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Tension is easy to put on a rope, either drag your trailer to the cars tow ball by using the winch and new rope, up hill will be better unless you wan't a ding in your car.

Or put the kids in a milk crate and winch that up to the post either way you get tension.

stevenc
16-07-2008, 04:04 PM
thanks fellas for the tips, now I have some work to do :-*