PDA

View Full Version : vro injection

lunchcutter
16-07-2008, 07:36 AM
hi guys maybe a dumb question but if i mix 50:1 fuel against running injection would i use the same amount of oil per litres of fuel??????

Spaniard_King
16-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Jason,

it really depends on how you drive your engine!!!

If you drove it hard all the time you would use more oil as the higher the rpm the ore oil th vro thros n the lower therpm the less it uses. this is due to more lubrication required due to heavier loads and stresses at higher rpms

as a General rule the VRO uses ls oil than the 50:1 ratio.

you can check it by monitoring your fuel used to the amount of oil added to the tank

Crocodile
16-07-2008, 09:33 AM
VRO saves lots of oil.
My 60 Yamaha uses very little oil, certainly nothing like 50:01.
I assume that at lower revs the ratio must more like 100:01.
The motor blows very little smoke when trolling so the ratio must be less.
I asked the mechanic and he says that the system is working correctly.

lunchcutter
16-07-2008, 05:45 PM
no thats cool im just tring to work out what the cheaper way is to go at the moment im running 50:1 thinking about going back to vro if it will save me $$$

Spaniard_King
16-07-2008, 06:22 PM
no thats cool im just tring to work out what the cheaper way is to go at the moment im running 50:1 thinking about going back to vro if it will save me $$$

Jason, VRO's are not known for there reliability:P and can often fail without warning resulting in a complete and quick engine failure.

If you cannot afford a complete rebuild then I would be continuing to run 50:1 and leave the VRO in it's grave:-/

lunchcutter
16-07-2008, 06:35 PM
yeah how long would pre mix fuel last in the tank without going off i m getting a 250 litre in the floor

Spaniard_King
16-07-2008, 06:39 PM
IMO.. if you were to not use the boat for 4 months and when you came to use it.. Aded 30-40% of fresh fuel to the tank.. you would be fine. I would recommend that you have a good quailty fuel filter/water seperator in the fuel system somewhere

lunchcutter
16-07-2008, 06:41 PM
yeah cheers king thanks

FNQCairns
16-07-2008, 06:42 PM
IMO If mixed at 50:1 the fuel component will become unsafe first so for me 3-4 weeks, in full summer 3 weeks max.

Cheers fnq

perko
16-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Ditch the VRO. It stands for Very Rarely Operates.

ozscott
16-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Yammy's oil injection systems (at the reed valves - not carb like most others) is notoriously reliable. 100:1 at idle and 50:1 going hard. I wouldnt ever ditch mine on the V4. It makes for longer life fuel and low smoke at idle when cold and virtually none when warm.

Cheers

Spaniard_King
16-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Yammy's oil injection systems (at the reed valves - not carb like most others) is notoriously reliable. 100:1 at idle and 50:1 going hard. I wouldnt ever ditch mine on the V4. It makes for longer life fuel and low smoke at idle when cold and virtually none when warm.

Cheers

Could you please be specific how this relates to the VRO on his Evinrude???

lunchcutter
16-07-2008, 08:08 PM
so spaniard you reckon keep 50:1 yeah

ozscott
16-07-2008, 08:09 PM
It doesnt relate to it Garry - I didnt realise it was an Evinrude until after your post. I know VRO is Johno/Rude but some people say VRO meaning "oil injection".

Cheers

Spaniard_King
16-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Jason,

beleive it or not in the long run you will be better off without it..yep stick with mixing

lunchcutter
16-07-2008, 08:18 PM
cheers king thanks mate

cormorant
16-07-2008, 09:26 PM
yeah how long would pre mix fuel last in the tank without going off i m getting a 250 litre in the floor

The less fuel you can store is better. Premix with poor quality oils goes off faster than raw fuel. If you work on having 30% too much fuel for any trip out then that will allow you a safety margin. Think about a fuel stabiliser added to the tank if you aren't using the fuel in 6-8 weeks. less if the boat is stored outside and in temperature changes,

Basically petrol loses it's volitile bits when not stored in sealed containers at a constant cool temperature. They evaporate and degrade. If that happens you are left with a stale fuel which doesn't have any bang in it. This can lead to poor performance and a laboring motor and higher com=mbustion chamber temps and possibly holes in tops of pistons.

You can't freshen old fuel. If the fuel has gone really stale by chemical reaction it will make fresh fuel added go off even quicker than normal Just keep as little as you safely can in the tank and top it up on the way to the ramp.

Make sure yo mix your premix oil in a 5litre or more jerry and then pour into the tank as I have seen many tans with a oil sludge in them and that means there is oil that was meant to go through the motor that didn't.

You say you will have 250l on board. If you can have it as 2 tanks as it can help with fuel management.

PS don't use ethanol fuel and you might like to try evinrude XD50 a semi synthetic oil ( don't mix different oils) as there will be less smoke and less carbon build up in the motor so plugs won't foul.

PSS to all the people that are going to pipe up and say fuel doesn't go off etc tec please do a search of the stale fuel threads and take note of teh mechanics you know on the site who have fixed plenty of motors that have died and fuel has been a factor. Have a look at the petrol companies sites as well.