PDA

View Full Version : New custom built boat with trimming concerns

swordfish455
15-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi Guys,

Just picked up my new ABBS Plate 5m Centre Console with a 75ETEC.

I must have the trim 100% down to get it up onto the plane then trim the motor up to get max speed.
My last boat would always have trim left in the middle not requiring any adjustment.

Will a permatrim or hydrafoil help and if so what model/size ?

Thanks Sal

Angla
15-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey Sal,
What happens that is the problem.

My boat likes the motor to be fully trimmed down to get on the plane quickly. If I leave the trim up a bit it just means that I can only take off slowly but it will still get onto the plane.

What are the fine detail symptoms of the problem

Chris

swordfish455
15-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi Chris,
I appreciate your help.Its just that I have never owned a boat that requires the motor trimmed all the way down and thought that one of those bolt on things near the prop might help get it out of the hole without having to trim so fare down ?

Sal

Blackened
16-07-2008, 07:06 AM
G'day

What you're describing as an "issue" is normal.

A permatrim setup will only cut planing time, hold plane at slower speeds and give you lift in the rear.

Before bolting anything on your new engine, check to see if it's at the right height and that you have the right prop.

Dave

Ian1
16-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Check your wide open throttle RPM with the motor trimmed out to max speed. Maybe the prop is a little course. The manual should give you an RPM range at W.O.T. 5800 - 6200 just for example. If its below the recomended range then it will struggle to get up on the plane.

Outsider1
16-07-2008, 12:22 PM
G'day

What you're describing as an "issue" is normal.

A permatrim setup will only cut planing time, hold plane at slower speeds and give you lift in the rear.

Before bolting anything on your new engine, check to see if it's at the right height and that you have the right prop.

Dave

Hi Sal,

can only agree with Blackened.

Here is a link to the Etec owners group website and their page on optimum RPMs etc. It is very important to get your motor height and the correct prop installed, it will make all the difference.

Can I suggest you join up on the site and post a question on your set up. There are some very helpful dealers on there that will let you know if you set up is close or suggest alternatives.

I went through this with my previous motor. Ended up fitting a foil and it partially fixed the problem, but it never felt quite right. Recently repowered and the new set up is much better and have no issue with holeshot, planing, trim etc because it is set up right. In hindsight I reckon my old motor was too low (it did have the right prop) and that would have fixed it and it would have been much better to use.

You will be amazed how much difference one or two holes higher can make.

For you motor you should be getting to 5200 rpms at WOT.

http://forums.etecownersgroup.com/tool/post/barnaclebill/vpost?id=2671224

Cheers

Dave

cormorant
16-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Did the boat get a water test ?

Did the boat you tested have the same issues ?

Get the seller or the manufacturer on the boat in the water to experience the problem and solve it. It is called aftersales service.

Don't bolt stuff on. Good boats shouldn't need it as in most cases they only partially solve symptoms not the cause of the issue. Yes they can help with slower planing with boats heavy in the stern but can also be a problem in following seas. Props can help both these issues without bolting stuff on.

Causes could be as major as a hooked hull or as simple as different feeling for helmsman or a fitter who hasn't adjusted the trim sensor.

Ask if anyone else ahas a sisterboat and check it out with them and as others have said make sure it is set up properly and propped well before starting on any other solution path

Good luck

swordfish455
16-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think I might get 6 months use from it before I start drilling any holes.Like I some of the guys mentioned it does not sound like a fault just that the motor needs a bit more trimming adjustemnt than my previous boat.
Cheers Sal

swordfish455
19-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Dave,

That ETEC owners website you put me onto is great.

Thanks heaps Sal :D