PDA

View Full Version : Poppers & Bream

Mark-P
15-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Monday morning i was fishing some shallow reef & noticed that the
hardy heads were being chased buy some fish in aboat 2 feet of water.
On goes a popper & cast perfect ... pop pop & bag a massive bream hits
the surface aboat 6" behind my lure, so i give it another jerk ... The same
thing :-[ My question is, what am i doing wrong or is that normal ????

Mark

MeePee_99
15-07-2008, 08:04 PM
That is normal in this cooler weather.

In the summer spent all my time fish surface for bream and lures for jacks. I find that it is normal for bream to hav 6 or 7 hits and misses before hooking up. I find that if you work the popper at a constant semi fast pace (boop, boop, boop) and if the fish boles behind the lure, pause and give the rod another flick the fish will usually strikes again, if it misses pause it again then give another flick. Continue this untill the fish takes the lure (as i said it can take 6 or 7 strikes before hooking up). The trick is to make really long casts (it makes a big difference trust me) and just keep the lure at a constant pace. This also works really well for whiting and flatties!!!!!!!!!!!!

nuggstar
16-07-2008, 08:42 AM
try walking the dog with ya popper with tiny twitches so ya popper hardly moves forwad but is flaping side to side making heaps of ripples. i dont pause for long as i want the bream to hit it when its moving so i can get a good hook up. if it happens again and you cant get a hit, swap to a shallow running hard body, you should get them then if they are fired up enuff to hit ya poper

nuggstar
16-07-2008, 08:44 AM
and put the sharpest hooks on ya lure that you can by. owner st36 stingers are the best iv found. that will help you a bucket load

Mark-P
16-07-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm yet to catch anything on hardbody or popper !
So im keen as ..... & it was a stonker of a fish !!!

Mark

MeePee_99
16-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Yer, if your using poppers use the river to sea bubble pop 35 and 40's and if your using walk baits use lures like ecogear px45, smith towadi's and jackson T - Pivots!!!!!!!!!

tunaticer
16-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Bream soon lose interest with a prolonged pause. Best results is keep the lure on the move and alter speeds slightly with short jabs.
Changing down to a shallow runner will probably prompt a lot more hookups if the bream are smashing hardies.

Jack.

Tetsuo
16-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Try casting right onto sanbanks or beaches and poppping from the sand. I find the pink pop queen does the damage for me

Mark-P
18-07-2008, 04:54 AM
Thank for your help fellas, with some luck i should
be out on the weekend !!!

Mark

BARRAkid
18-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Bream soon lose interest with a prolonged pause. Best results is keep the lure on the move and alter speeds slightly with short jabs.
Changing down to a shallow runner will probably prompt a lot more hookups if the bream are smashing hardies.

Jack.
I have found that the bream will hit on a pause i mostly use smiths towardi's and i just twitch them for about 45cm then pause for about 10 seconds then repeat.
Have caught bream when working my lure and then letting it sit and grabbing a drink or look at fuel or what ever.
Last time i wen't for bream my lure would have been just sitting for close to 5 minutes and one grabbed it.
But i haven't done to much bream on surface over the last month been about 3 times :o

cheers BK