PDA

View Full Version : What Braid With Colour Increments

bluefin59
15-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I am looking for some braid in 30lb and 20lb with the colour incruments so i can be sure i am at the depth i need to be ,i see diawa sensor braid in 30 -20 lb i want to spool up my 4000 capricorn with the 30lb and my 3000 tierra with the 20lb . Is there any other brands i should be looking at i am useing these for soft placcie fishing on the 50 s of the goldie , any help would be appreciated . Also where is the cheapest place to get this sort of thing ...Thanks matt8-) 8-)

Outsider1
15-07-2008, 05:01 PM
I have seen a Berkley (Fireline?) version at the A Store recently. They had it marked down but can't recall the length.

Cheers

Dave

Edit - Actually come to think about it, it may have actually been Platypus brand?. I was looking at Fireline at the time and noticed the multi-coloured line below it.

Outsider1
15-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I have seen a Berkley (Fireline?) version at the A Store recently. They had it marked down but can't recall the length.

Cheers

Dave

Edit - Actually come to think about it, it may have actually been Platypus brand?. I was looking at Fireline at the time and noticed the multi-coloured line below it.

Yep it was Platypus, this is the stuff in this link, Jigging Braid;

http://www.fishplatypus.com.au/products_jigging_braid.html

Cheers

Dave

bluefin59
15-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys i went to the link but they dont appear to do 20&30 lb but i maybe wrong i also am looking at anything but fireline in this size line thanks ...matt

Braddles
15-07-2008, 05:23 PM
have a look at that "bay" auction site that may start with an "e"

A lot of the braid on there is out of Japan....

I am currently using Pelagic Brand (50lb) and love it.

Lifted a 20L / KG bucket of water on a length of it around a wooden hammer before I spooled up - was able to "jig" it...

Some people claim non aussie braid is not accurate re/- breaking strain - but I suggest this is more a marketing ploy with the name brands... Sure some braid may be inferior - but its certainly not a case of the more you pay the better you get. Some of the brand name stuff is just that.. a name your paying for.

I have used Penn brand it found it aweful and expensive - it retained a lot of memory, and the mono seemed to have an aweful lot of stretch (compared to Schneider which I use)

I have also heard that Schneider supplies the kmart brand Ryobi. Now I dont know if this is correct or not, but Ryobi is identical in colour and diameter and as far as I can tell, same stretch properties.

Outsider1
15-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys i went to the link but they dont appear to do 20&30 lb but i maybe wrong i also am looking at anything but fireline in this size line thanks ...matt

They have it in 30lb, but not 20lb.

Cheers

Dave

Outsider1
15-07-2008, 05:26 PM
From memory they wanted $99 for a 500 metre spool of the Platypus braid. The E-Bay stuff seems to be a lot cheaper.

Cheers

Dave

bluefin59
15-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys i dont think i will go the daiwa sensor as it is $140 for 300mt here in aus ,i am investigating on e....bay now thanks ..matt

Horse
15-07-2008, 07:15 PM
I have some Suffix Herculine that has colour increments. It was reasonably inexpensive and seems to wear well. It is not particularly tight in the weave but works OK. I can't get the hang of counting colours so its a bit of a waste to me. I prefer to watch the jig on the sounder

Saltiga.
15-07-2008, 07:26 PM
For $100 this stuff is great its spooled on nearly every reel i got and is litrally a cheaper sensor alternative saving around $50;D .

http://www.toddstackle.com.au/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,234/category_id,26/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/

Vindicator
15-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I've got jigman spooled on my reels. I find it really good to use and exceptionally good to tie knots with. Can agree with horse though as I can never seem to remember the bloody order of colours though. Although when I'm using my bottom bashing rig you can always remember what colour is on your reel when you hit bottom. This is good cause if the fish are hitting soon as you get there, you can be prepared. As far as a cheap place to find it, I don't think there is one, its not the cheapest line out there.

Cheers
Kezza

2manylures
16-07-2008, 12:07 AM
I am looking for some braid in 30lb and 20lb with the colour incruments so i can be sure i am at the depth i need to be
...Thanks matt8-) 8-)

Matt I see you have a lovely boat & would assume you run a sounder.

You should be able to pick up your baits on the sounder. They'll show as straight skinny lines across the screen when stationary.

bluefin59
16-07-2008, 04:46 AM
Thanks for all the info horse i will be going to B.C.F today to have a look i know they have the herculine and it is the right price incomparison to the daiwa . I want it so i have an idea when the bottom is coming up so as not to get my placcie or swing jigs snaged ,also sometimes different fish hit you at different depths and i want to be able to get back to a particular depth quickly .2manylures thanks for that i do have a sounder its a furuno and it does show the jig heads and stuff but i need this stuff when i go out on a charter once a month thanks though mate ..matt

ON-THE-CHEW
16-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Matt,
I have sensor braid on two of my reels one on my outside plastics outfit 35lb and one on my jigging outfit 90lb. I know the stuff is pricey but I can't fault it, for its line class it is so thin. Make sure you are looking at what PE size othere lines are for equal weights, sensor braid is very thin and gets to the bottom so much easier with less bow in the line.

Andrew

revs57
16-07-2008, 08:37 AM
G'day Matt,

The Sufix herculine is a reasonable attempt, I have a couple of reels loaded up with it - as horse said, it is not the tightest weave, and so therefor not thinnest diameter, the better option is the sufix matrix pro jigging braid. It has tighter weave and the thinner line diameter and the suppleness of the matrix pro for both overheads and spinning reel. You can get it in 15kg, not sure about 10 kg, but it is good stuff and there is more and clearer demarkation in the colours than the herculine too. I've got two reels loaded with it - very nice stuff.

Cheers

Rhys

bluefin59
16-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Andrew i am very tempted to buy the daiwa sensor ,its the cost at $140 i'm not sure i will have a look at the suffix and and may yet come back to the sensor thanks for the info ..matt

Rhys thanks for the tip i will have a look at that as well i went and had a look at the hurculine and wasn't impressed so i will have a look at the suffix ta matt

craigie
16-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I've recently spooled up with 30lb Jigman, super thin Dia.
Great to use but is expensive, although I have been shopping around and found some from an o/s online store for approx $50 for a 200m spool (in sizes 10lb to 20 lb).

Cheers
Craigie.

robersl
16-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the info horse i will be going to B.C.F today to have a look i know they have the herculine and it is the right price incomparison to the daiwa . I want it so i have an idea when the bottom is coming up so as not to get my placcie or swing jigs snaged ,also sometimes different fish hit you at different depths and i want to be able to get back to a particular depth quickly .2manylures thanks for that i do have a sounder its a furuno and it does show the jig heads and stuff but i need this stuff when i go out on a charter once a month thanks though mate ..matt
hi matt
i have the herculine on 1 of my rigs seems to be pretty good i have used it for chasing barra up north and also trolling for tailor at least you know how far out the back your line is trolling

shane

PNG1M
16-07-2008, 07:16 PM
I noticed above that the Vindicator mentioned the colour coded Jigman. It's fantastic line and by far my favourite.

I've been using it for several years now with breaking strengths from 8kg through to 24kg even though they do make it heavier & lighter than that.

I order mine direct from JAPAN TACKLE. The YGK Jigman (4 strand) 100% Dyneema is on sale for only US$19 per 100m spool. Spools are interconnected and postage is around US$5.00 for up to 3 spools.

It's a good entry price if you want to test it out BUT for a few extra buck you can upgrade to the x8 (eight strand) dyneema. It comes in two types - check it on their website - and one of them, is also on sale just now. I got a couple of spools of both of the x8 varieties (WX and Ultra) and they are thinner than the x4 and a lot softer, smoother & subtle.

Anyway, that's my No 1 recommendation for a good quality colour coded braided line. Can't go past the YGK I reckon. Japan Tackle also stock Seaguar fleuro leader at a pretty good price and other lines too, including good quality nylons.

bluefin59
19-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Well after a lot of discussion and listening to others that placcie offshore and what you blokes have had to say i have decided to go the daiwa braid, now the desiccion i have to come up with is do i buy the s.w sonsor in 20 &30 lb or the accudepth version in the same size lines .Also i am sure 20 will be fine for the 3000 tierra but should i go 30 or 40 lb on my 4000 capricorn i am soft placcie fishing in anything up to 50 fathoms any opinions thanks in advance ...matt