PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring at Curtin

tenzing
15-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I dont want to sound too dense,but can somebody give me some advice on anchoring at a place like Curtin artificial.

Last time I was there I lost a plow anchor when it got stuck and I couldnt drive off it or pull it up . Using an electric winch, and it now scares my son so much he doesnt want me to anchor anywhere. ( this was the second anchor in 6 months).

I like to stop there for the night as it is safe with the kids and it gives us a good headstart if we are heading outside for dawn.

Should I be using a reef pick? Should I drive off it with an EZY Lift type device? Should I try to anchor on the sand/ weed away from the reef and let out rode to bring me closer? I am a bit sus of how a reef anchor will hold up with a tide change given the strong current and sometimes busy nature of the area.

Boat is a seafarer victory 6.0. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brendan

death_ship
15-07-2008, 04:08 PM
its full of wrecks and you may hook up to an old railing or some structure on the bottom, the place is littered with anchors if you dive there. i would be using a pronged reef pick.

MTAQ/BTAQ
15-07-2008, 04:19 PM
I scuba dive the Curtin Artificial Reef and there is a squillion anchors there (only 25 metres DOWN) -they are entangled in a mountain of car tyres and wrecks. If you want a cheap anchor just go to Redcliffe Dive Centre, Peninsula Fair - the dive shop brings them up and sells them to the public

If you wish to anchor there I would anchor in towards the beach, well away from the wrecks and drop a sand/mud anchor.

Mark-P
15-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Another tip 4 you, make sure you have at least
5m of chain !!!! My last outing cost me my anchor...
We bunked down there 4 the night & awoke on the beach at
cowan!!

Mark

Az
15-07-2008, 04:57 PM
what anchor are you using?
Have you tripped your anchor?

tenzing
15-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Another tip 4 you, make sure you have at least
5m of chain !!!! My last outing cost me my anchor...
We bunked down there 4 the night & awoke on the beach at
cowan!!

Mark
Thanks Mark, yes I have 10m of chain. its only 6mm as that is what will fit my muir winch. I was there recently with a friend and his rope cut through during the night as well. Thanks for the tip though.
Brendan

tenzing
15-07-2008, 05:51 PM
what anchor are you using?
Have you tripped your anchor?
Thanks for the reply Az, The curtin anchor was a manson supreme 15lb. it had a tripping slot on the shaft which I had the d shackle in at the time . I guess it just got caught on something gnarly down there.

I have a standard plough at the moment, and cant really trip it as the chain wont let it sit in the bow roller as it gets pulled tight by the winch. I prefer the manson anchor but at 200 bucks a throw, thats a bitter pill to swallow.
Cheers, Brendan

backlash08
15-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Brenden,
I would be going the prong reef pick, I havnt anchored on curtain too many times (maybe 10) and never had an issue retreiving, personally I wouldnt use a plough on anything bumpy - cheers - Craig

Vitamin Sea
15-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Brendan

I also nearly lost a pick ( reef ) there a few years ago, have been reluctant to anchor there since, as DS stated, there are a lot of picks down there that have been lost.

Definitely a reef pick if you do

Cheers

Bill

Angla
15-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Brendan, I watched a guy try to budge his anchor from Harry ackinson a couple of weeks back. He had a winch too and ended up cutting the rope after about 30 minutes.

If you have a strong bow sprit, I would suggest lots of rope out and the retrieval ball and big radius circles. I have bent a sand pick shaft into a boomerang shape but got it back. Used a sledge hammer and vice to straighten it again.

I don't like to anchor in line with Curtin when the tide is running

Chris

jez and suze
16-07-2008, 06:26 AM
it was'nt in the last few days you lost the anchor was it...........my dive buddy got a nice plow from there on monday.
we are going back on saturday to get the 50m of chain he stashed.

Blackened
16-07-2008, 06:56 AM
G'day

Jez, about time you get an ebay anchor and ground tackle store happening

Dave

Crocodile
16-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I would never sleep on reef pick, they can come lose too easily.
Use your sand anchor away from the wrecks.

tenzing
16-07-2008, 11:04 AM
it was'nt in the last few days you lost the anchor was it...........my dive buddy got a nice plow from there on monday.
we are going back on saturday to get the 50m of chain he stashed.

Jez , It was a 15lb Manson supreme, and it was about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
I'll buy it back if you have it!! it had 10m of 6mm chain attached but I got almost all the rope back. Near the northern edge of the reef.
Brendan

DaMaGe
16-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I have lost 2 anchors at this spot in the past, and had another anchor retrieved by some really great divers. They seen my attempts to pull it up and my frustration and offered to go down the rope to retrieve it.

I felt a bond that day with divers and respect them highly now.

No fish at Curtain anyhow :)

Anchor up at Tangalooma Wrecks, feels alot more safer there during a snooze.

jez and suze
18-07-2008, 06:45 PM
i think it may have been abit fresh

CB77
23-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I allways make sure I connect the chain via d shacke at the hook end of the anchor and zippy tye the chain along the shank so it throws out and grabs like normal.

If the anchor gets stuck just power the boat forward whcih breaks the zippy tyes and anchor can be pulled up backwards.

Has saved my anchor a few times now.

Heres a tip from BCF website:

http://www.bcf.com.au/media/contentresources/images/cable%20tie%20anchor.jpgCable Tie Method
Many modern anchors have the ability to be set up with a trip tie to allow the anchor to be pulled out backwards. Attach the anchor shackle to the trip ring and cable tie the chain to the shank as pictured. This will allow the cable tie to be broken when you gently power ahead and the anchor can be pulled out backwards.
Glossary

Local_Guy
23-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I allways make sure I connect the chain via d shacke at the hook end of the anchor and zippy tye the chain along the shank so it throws out and grabs like normal.

If the anchor gets stuck just power the boat forward whcih breaks the zippy tyes and anchor can be pulled up backwards.

Has saved my anchor a few times now.

Heres a tip from BCF website:

http://www.bcf.com.au/media/contentresources/images/cable%20tie%20anchor.jpgCable Tie Method
Many modern anchors have the ability to be set up with a trip tie to allow the anchor to be pulled out backwards. Attach the anchor shackle to the trip ring and cable tie the chain to the shank as pictured. This will allow the cable tie to be broken when you gently power ahead and the anchor can be pulled out backwards.
Glossary

i was just about to suggest this. use this on your reef pic and if it does get stuck, cable ties break and you pull it up anchor head first, not against rocks or wreck.

:)