PDA

View Full Version : Impoundment FROG Disease?

the_matrix
15-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Recent threads, phone calls, charter enquiries, hysteria, fever and discussions regarding plastic frogs has prompted me to post some info regarding the thruth and logic behind the latest impoundment barra "craze".

TRUTH'S

1. If you think that fishing plastic frogs will be the answer to your fishless sessions on Barra dams, you are wrong.

2. Using frogs anywhere, everywhere at any time without prior knowledge of what makes them effective in the first place will lead to a dreaded doughnut.

3. Plastic frogs make up A VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE of an overall huge arsenal of effective barra lures. In other words, they could be 5 or even 30 other lures on the day that are WAY more potent than the humble frog. On the flipside, the frog can be the one lure or similar to do the damage. Oh yeh by the way plastic frogs have been around since the birth of jesus.

4. You can, like any other form of fishing, make wrong choices in regards to what you will think will work on the day. Just fishing plastic frogs will highlight this like nothing else. They are not the GOLDEN EGG!!! Use your experience.

5. Is it a great way to fish? Bloody oath! But like any other form of luring, it has a time and a place. That time can be ANY time of the day or night, but knowledge is required to know where and when. This is why many are failing at present because they think its a matter of tying on a frog and going for it.

6. The guys who are successfully catching fish on frogs have taken the time to learn why or already know what the key elements of success are for them to work. There are reasons why they work.

7. Just because its winter, or there is a great weedbed or some fish are in the shallows does not mean this is the best time to target them with surface frogs.
You may have a reverse/negative effect on those fish by scattering them in every direction. Once again if you understand the elements that make these lures work you will know why they work and a good idea when.

8. Yes there are many brands of plastic frogs. 100% MOST CERTAINLY some work better than others.
I have no affiliation with zoom, yes these (horny toads) are the best currently on the market in my opinion, and I have been down many many roads with these plastic frogs, including all the U.S sites.
Expect a flurry of frogs to hit the shelves in the coming months, some are pretty awesome but make your own choices like always on what to buy, not what someone else (even tackle stores) says.
Marketing is strictly that, take it for what it is and make an educated decision.
Ive never seen a marketing company hold a gun to anyones head so use your noggin and check out features of each product.

9. Understanding barra, their habits, weakness's and strengths will go a long way to unlocking the frog. It is worth the effort because there is not a better way to fish for ANY species than on the surface.

10. Look out for the new, upcoming preying mantis aqua stick made by vullofsheet in Spain. Apparently it catches Barra by plucking them out of the shallows and sticking them on your hooks!
Currently working on prototypes;D
Cheers
Jas

NAGG
15-07-2008, 12:18 PM
10. Look out for the new, upcoming preying mantis aqua stick made by vullofsheet in Spain. Apparently it catches Barra by plucking them out of the shallows and sticking them on your hooks!
Currently working on prototypes;D
Cheers
Jas

Jas ....... Does it come with a Video too :P ;D

Thanks Jas for that clarification ( sort of). I'm a little surprised with all hysteria surrounding frogs! ..... but then again THAT VIDEO will do that to anyone with IBD.
Are fishoes seriously flogging the water to foam with these ATM .......... I would have thought that the triggers you speak of ( Vibration & speed ..... with a bit of profile) would more come into play during the warmer months when the fish are in a more willing frame of mind to chase & play ........ a bit like surface poppers & fizzers ..... and other surface walkies!

I'd like to think that most are just gearing up for the Spring / summer ...... & giving them a try.
I know I'm armed & ready ........ but a frog wont be the first lure I tie on ...... I'm pretty sure of that!

Cheers

Nagg

Little grey men
15-07-2008, 12:26 PM
but a frog wont be the first lure I tie on ...... I'm pretty sure of that!

I think that you Nagg, like me and many others will be trying the new Mantis aqua Stick thingy....mmmm sounds good. There gunna be a bitch to find though.
I feel like drawing a prototype now !

Thanks for the update Jas.

NAGG
15-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I think that you Nagg, like me and many others will be trying the new Mantis aqua Stick thingy....mmmm sounds good. There gunna be a bitch to find though.
I feel like drawing a prototype now !

Thanks for the update Jas.

Actually ..... I'll put up a photo later of the frog that the Japs are working on !

Nagg

ozbee
15-07-2008, 01:01 PM
rubber frogs have been around at least 40 years as a kid i used them they are a poor substitute for the live green barra frog we use to use back then. it has a green stripe down its back. it is rare to find now and is protected. when lures like nilmaster hit the seen most fishos couldn't get rid of them faster enough. in weed they maybe a good lure if desperate but any plastic would be just as good.

2manylures
15-07-2008, 01:24 PM
SPOT ON Jas. I've been saying the same about Jap lures that have been so "TRENDY"

If that's all anglers are going to use then it's quite obvious that's the only lure that will have results.

I was bought up on the basics of fishing 40yrs ago and have never forgotten. From a lot I read and hear the basics have been dropped by the wayside for Trendy & Technology.

Does anyone really think FISH know what's trendy or so called technologically advanced?

They don't sit back and check out the detail & fine lines of lures prior to munching them.

The fish of a lifetime on a certain lure when highlighted in video format is probably the biggest single seller of a particular lure even though this occurance is more than extremely rare. It sells lures to the wannabees.

I'll plod along sticking to the basics, understanding the natural world & how it works, catching more than my share of fish. It hasn't failed me yet!

Whitto
15-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Unfortunatedly the very same thing happen with the Jackall TN50....TN60.....Vibes and so on when they emerged on the scene as the lure you must have to catch Bass.......so good they were saying that if u were not careful Bass would leap into the boat to get at the lure....well at $26/$30 a piece tackle establishments made a killing.......not this little black duck, I confess I own 2 Jackalls and have caught Bass on them........The majority of my Bass captures were made using Sliders on a 1/2 oz Data Jig caught 100's of the buggers.............The Frog setup is just another option available to you....I have 3 rods setup for Monduran, all for different applications............It was that DvD Jaz that was some great action, I havn't even looked at the rest of the DVD yet..........Cheers Whitto;D::)

Magella
15-07-2008, 03:15 PM
The preying mantis aqua stick from Spain has been sent to China to be copied by ten other Australian Tackle Importers and will be showcased at the Australian Tackle Show in August. A spokesperson from Vullosheet say "who cares if it works as long as we sell sheetloads of them "

Whitto
15-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Exactly.....right on the money......Whitto

Tropicaltrout
15-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Good on ya Jas. They are a craze, and will be put on the back burner as soon as the next big thing hits a video. The best thing for us so called IBD guys to do is put a few of each of these you bute things in our tackle boxes and use them as the moment beckons and as you say what a way to take a impoundment barra, I cant wait until the chance comes my way thats forsure.

Anyhow well put Jas

Cheers Nath

BR65
15-07-2008, 10:58 PM
yup, Ive got one or two in the box, havent thrown them yet, Im lookuin forward to a hot, still pre dawn session in a back bay at Monduran, when the big girls are boofin off the surface, then I'll give one a go.
just another arrow in the quiver, bullet in the gun, ace in the sleeve etc etc etc

good post jas

cheers
brian

2manylures
15-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I've got some 3" soft turtles here I've had for 3 or 4 yrs now that cod love.

Once the frog craze lifts I might hit em with turtles and start a new craze similar to Naggs other post.

BR65
15-07-2008, 11:37 PM
if the frog "fixation" does nothing else, it does 2 things:
1/ interest and intrigue potential new IBD sufferers/converts
2/ it creates a situation where an angler has to think "why am I catching/not catching fish on a lure used so successfully by that Jas Willhelm bloke on that dvd"

cant see anything wrong there

NAGG
15-07-2008, 11:42 PM
if the frog "fixation" does nothing else, it does 2 things:
1/ interest and intrigue potential new IBD sufferers/converts
2/ it creates a situation where an angler has to think "why am I catching/not catching fish on a lure used so successfully by that Jas Willhelm bloke on that dvd"

cant see anything wrong there

Brian ..... I reckon its just like someone wondering on to Lang Park right now with a cricket bat & ball in their hand ......... ::)

Cheers

Chris

BR65
15-07-2008, 11:50 PM
grass is green, grandstands are full, why arent I scorein tries, hang on, whats this timber thing in me hand?????????????????

say it again, good post jas

cheers
brian

Whitto
16-07-2008, 07:49 AM
grass is green, grandstands are full, why arent I scorein tries, hang on, whats this timber thing in me hand?????????????????

say it again, good post jas

cheers
brian Brian how the ++++ are ya, Chaffing at the bit to hit the Puddle.......Its hard work Mate Ive grabbed the front of the boat about 6 times to hookup......but have to wait a little longer............The frog thing is like someone inventing the magic pill to loose weight for us more portly punters...undoubtly there is but for it to work u still have to eat correctly and exercise......thats where the toads will sort out the haves and have nots;D...I think thats what I mean.......Cheers Whitto::)

Magella
16-07-2008, 09:11 AM
The circle of life continues last year it was squidgies, two months ago stiffies, now it's frogs what next ? Yo-Yos are new and exciting for some people everytime coke keeps bringing them out. We need new things /old things rehashed to make things interesting.

Cheers Foxie

Little grey men
16-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Certainly interesting the way it works. Reading Magellas post made me think of my last few trips to the dam. Instead of Jackalls, Yo Zuri's, Ecogear or some other highly crafted land of the rising sun turbo charged 3D fish lollies. I've been going back to raiders, wobblers, and little Gillies baitfish to get strikes.
Although at the end of my last session I tied on a Jackall. And a fish stole it. :-/
I'll never buy another one......until I see a new colour.

Mix it up people.

Steve B
16-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Teengage mutant ninja turtles next Foxie!!

Jas, very timely and informative post. hearing such an important message and valuble info from a leader in the impoundment barra scene is important and at the moment, required to a certain extent.

What Brian said about everyone 'thinking' is SO SO true. Compare the posts from everyone on here 1-2 years ago, to the postings now and you will see changes in everyones thinkings and more importantly, learnings. We have guys like Jas, Trev, JM to name just a few to thank. I know I appreciate it. Now everyone is just chomping at the bit to get out and practice our learnings!! I am predicting the reports pages will be chockers with good reports this year as a result.

Steve

NAGG
16-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Teengage mutant ninja turtles next Foxie!!

Jas, very timely and informative post. hearing such an important message and valuble info from a leader in the impoundment barra scene is important and at the moment, required to a certain extent.

What Brian said about everyone 'thinking' is SO SO true. Compare the posts from everyone on here 1-2 years ago, to the postings now and you will see changes in everyones thinkings and more importantly, learnings. We have guys like Jas, Trev, JM to name just a few to thank. I know I appreciate it. Now everyone is just chomping at the bit to get out and practice our learnings!! I am predicting the reports pages will be chockers with good reports this year as a result.

Steve

TMNT for sure ;D I can hear the cash registers ringing now:P
Just see how quickly the old bushy jumped on the frog bandwagon with the BOOF FROG ....... Kaching $$ ! Right in time for Spring! ....... very smart
+++++ I'm pretty sure with more than some encouragement from Jas:)

Chris

Whitto
16-07-2008, 03:39 PM
The circle of life continues last year it was squidgies, two months ago stiffies, now it's frogs what next ? Yo-Yos are new and exciting for some people everytime coke keeps bringing them out. We need new things /old things rehashed to make things interesting.

Cheers Foxie
Don't forget the HOOLAHOOP Foxie....Im thinking attach all your favorite Barra lures around the circumference of the Hoop and when the Barra are on in the Basin (highest temperature) you could drag that along and give the Barra a choice......I can see this being bigger than Charlton Heston's funeral......I think Im onto something here;D

BR65
16-07-2008, 05:15 PM
lol whitto, you need to go fishin mate

steve, I was just thinkin to myself the other day what an interesting winter its been so far, not a lot of trips for us down here, but the threads and posts on ausfish re our favourite fish, sometimes educational, sometimes humurous, sometimes vigorous debate, have certainly keept us all entertained, and in my case certainly better informed on the black art of successfully fishing for impoundment barramundi.
well done to all who contribute, lets keep em comeing

the_matrix
16-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Kaching Kaching, $$ too right guys, its what makes it all happen. Everyone wants a slice of the pie, including tackle store owners and yep everyones cashing in. It has and always will be a driver of product whether we like it or not, hence why I always say make up your own mind on what to buy.
If I mention a product, regardless of whether I am endorsed by them or not, its because it works for me, its up to the individual whether they agree.

Foxies last post answers its own question. First it was the squidg, then stiff, then frog well ALL of them are in my boat EVERY trip along with 9 other tackle boxes of assorted lures, and the three mentioned ALL caught Barra today at Monduran in cold raining crap conditions for an IFISH segement.
Barra need to be stimulated, if you dont have the right type you may well go home its that clear cut. Rattles one day, silents the next, plastic, wood, timber, surface deep shallow, jointed, sinking, fast slow ,different sonics, suspend, float, twitch slow roll the list goes on!
A good subject and one that could go on forever, lots of good points raised here by a lot of smart fisho's so thanks all for your input.
Cheers
Jas

NAGG
16-07-2008, 08:36 PM
lol whitto, you need to go fishin mate

steve, I was just thinkin to myself the other day what an interesting winter its been so far, not a lot of trips for us down here, but the threads and posts on ausfish re our favourite fish, sometimes educational, sometimes humurous, sometimes vigorous debate, have certainly keept us all entertained, and in my case certainly better informed on the black art of successfully fishing for impoundment barramundi.
well done to all who contribute, lets keep em comeing

Brian ..... Very very well said! ... Being one so far from the action & oh so keen ..... Ausfish ... particularly you fellow IBD sufferers have given me a great little forum to vent my spleen , talk shite , run ideas ..... & generally have a bit of fun with like minded people ........... A big thanks to you all:thumbsup: ......... If I talk barra down here .... all I get is ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ( except for Mighty Whitey ...... but he knows JS;) )

Cheers all

Nagg

BR65
16-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Brian ..... Very very well said! ... Being one so far from the action & oh so keen ..... Ausfish ... particularly you fellow IBD sufferers have given me a great little forum to vent my spleen , talk shite , run ideas ..... & generally have a bit of fun with like minded people ........... A big thanks to you all:thumbsup: ......... If I talk barra down here .... all I get is ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ( except for Mighty Whitey ...... but he knows JS;) )

Cheers all

Nagg

go the MW mate, there were some classic posts there for a while

NAGG
16-07-2008, 08:52 PM
go the MW mate, there were some classic posts there for a while

I'm still teaching him how to read & write ;D

BR65
16-07-2008, 08:54 PM
look forward to meetin a fellow IBD sufferer on the water one day