PDA

View Full Version : Wild Bass?

rob tranter
15-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Hi all

I need some clarrification.

A lot of posts talk about WILD Bass, now I know that this means the ones caught in Creeks, Rivers etc, and Not Dams, or Impoundments.

WHY WILD?

Aren't they all wild, while some may have been released into Dams and impoundments, they are still Wild, aren't they? Because they were bread in a Farm or what ever and released in an Impoundment doesn't make them a pet or taimed does it?

We have just had a couple of thousand released by DPI in our local River, the Orara, are they Wild or Taimed? they are farm bread but are going to be caught from a River, not a Dam or Impoundment.

I'm interested to see why you differ between River and Impoundment.

Rob T8-)

2manylures
15-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Rob, this issue of Wild V Stocked has been around causing all sorts of controversy for 20 years or more.
It basically started out with Trout. Some anglers believing & argueing that stocked fish are easier to catch than wild, have less fight in them and blah blah blah, 2nd rate fish of the same species.
Those who fished land locked impoundments {stocked} were deemed to be taking the easy road by the so called wild fish society & frowned upon. It was like there was a split in the angling fraternity. {hilarious}
The argument has now gone through a wide range of species including most if not all native species however more & more anglers are now chasing impoundment species. It seems to have gone full circle although there are still a few purists around.
In my humble opinion, stocked fish are not easier to catch, however there are more of them in a given water. The fighting qualities are exactly the same & anyone who says they can tell the difference is well, you know the story.
I don’t believe where a fish was born has any bearing on it’s natural instincts, fighting qualities etc etc bearing in mind they only have a 3 second memory span according to the experts.
For me it’s only a terminology of where the eggs hatched, after all they all still fight for survival.

Leigh77
15-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Ahh this debate again...

2manylures somed it up quite well indeed, but I will add a few things just because I can.

The term "Wild Bass" is to me more of a way of telling people that it came from a river/creek. Its not saying that the impoundment Bass are tamed (as you put it), its just an easy way to seperate the two.

Out of the two options of "Wild" Bass or "Impoundment Bass" I would have to say that I prefer the "Wild" ones. Not because of any difference in fighting ability (which there isnt any)...but mainly because of the country I am fishing. Although I do enjoy the comfort of a boat whilst fishing a large impoundment for Bass, but nothing, absolutely nothing, beats paddling a kayak through tight waters chasing our native fish in their natural environment.

Hiking the Gorge country casting lures as you go is a great way to spend the day...well, to me it is. I guess it all comes down to personal preference on what you enjoy most.

Like I said before, its all personal preference...but I would definately prefer my next 50cm+ to be a "Wild" Bass then an impoundment Bass. Same as I would get more enjoyment catching a "Wild" mtr+ Barra, then catching the equivalent in an impoundment. I am not saying I wouldnt enjoy the 50cm+ Bass or the mtr+ Barra caught in an impoundment, but I would appreciate and enjoy it more from a river/creek.

Leigh.

NAGG
15-07-2008, 05:52 PM
With the stocking of rivers these days ..... a little grey area has appeared! .... but in general as has been mentioned ...... Its just a way of describing a fish caught in a natural environment rather than a man made impoundment!

I use the term "wild" because in my eyes catching fish like barra or bass in a natural environment ...... exceeds a similar sized fish taken from a big pond ( with no disrespect to pond fish)

Nagg

2manylures
15-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't know how long you fellas have been around & fishing. I'm a 40 yr veteran at present.

I used to laugh in the old days as the "purists chasing wild fish" scorned the land lock lake angler. Chasing trout in lakes like Eucumbene etc was acceptable. I still laugh about it.

Back when this basically started John Bethune was pretty much the only angler of notoriety that chased Bass.
BOY haven't things changed in the last 10 yrs or so?

A very similar scenario is coming into being with many following the footsteps of US tournament anglers & there style of fishing. Now it's trollers who are discriminated against as it appears not to be kocher if it's not bass style boats, lekky motors & casting to your chosen quarry.

I continue to do what I love & troll away.

Just on a lighter side I'd call any environment natural whether it be river or lake as after all they all still need water to survive.

Dead right about the peace & tranquility of remote river & creek fishing. Beautiful!

rob tranter
16-07-2008, 08:39 AM
I have to learn to spell

Bred, not the loaf of:-[

Thanks for the reply's guy's

Rob T8-)

LeeannP
16-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Thoroughly agree with leigh77. I love fishing the creeks and rivers for the scenery though we do have some scenic dams as well.
When it comes to fish fighting ability I think it depends on the mood of the fish, water temps but not necessarily where they come from
We fished Wuruma not too long ago and the bass hit hard and fought hard. Awesome fun out of the yaks.
We also just fished the Tweed and the bass were like winding in a rag. The water was pretty icy too so i suppose i wouldn't feel like putting up much of a scrap either.
Wild or tame? Who cares. It's all fishing :)

Whitto
16-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I believe the word Wild has crept in over the years and the word Native Bass or Native Barra should be reintroduced....Whitto

sparkyice
18-07-2008, 01:14 AM
here in the u.s. , for the most part, the bass are naturally reprodcing, even if they were stocked at first in an impoundment. our smallmouth bass lives in both rivers and lakes, prefering cooler water than the largemouth.
generally, the lake fish get larger, with greater girth, and the river fish fight a lot harder, pound for pound and inch for inch.
a word of caution about tournements-there is a widely held belief that they are responsible for the distribution of many of the invasive alien species of nasties that have recently been plaugeing our inland waterways.
most of these made their appearence in our great lakes from the ballast water of ocean going vessels and were likely spread by boat trailers, bilge water and livewell tanks from one body of water to another.
google zebra mussels and VHS disease

tight lines,
joe