PDA

View Full Version : Marine batteries.

rando
14-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I have to get a couple of new batteries for my 4.5m CC.
Anyone got any info on value for money / Brands / Retailers.
looking for two x 500 ccA (thats the size that fits the box)
Cheers
rando

Moonlighter
14-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Rando

I use the Supercharge Marine Gold batteries - I get them from Stones Cnr Marine who I can recommend for a good deal.

Grant

Tazmaniac
15-07-2008, 12:16 AM
I've used a few different brands over the years, some good, some not so good, found Century Marine batts to be good value, reasonably priced and long lasting.

Robbo_Townsville
15-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Had to buy a new mobile phone battery today and while they were sorting me out I had a gander and a chat with them about there large range and different brands of marine batteries they had on display.

The guy swore by a brand called seamaster. I asked him how they compare to my 2 batteries (century marine pro 600) on the boat and his comment that the seamaster beats them hands down with regards to cca and their deep cycle capabilities.

Anyone have this brand?

Moonlighter
15-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi Robbo

The Seamaster are Supercharge's name for their marine batteries. I did a comparison a while ago and their batteries have much better cca and amp hr ratings than Century - in fact for those of us with TLDI's, Optimax's or Verados they are by far the best option given that these outboards require high performance batteries. They even have an "Allrounder" that has both starting and deep cycle capabilities.

See their website for details:

http://linux.supercharge.com.au/products_specs_marine.php

Regards

Grant

black runner
15-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Good article in Plate Boats of Australia B4 on 12 volt systems. The sparky recommends in most cases the use of a single high spec AGM (absorbed glass mat) deep cycle battery of sufficient cranking capacity for the motor rather than a more complicated 2 battery/charging arangement. This exploits the high cca and deep cycle capacity of some AGM types. So even if the battery is discharged to 50% capacity there is more than enough grunt to start the motor. The same can't be said of a standard cranking battery that when discharged too much too often will suffer a short life.

Might be different if you are running an electric as well and need a separate deep cycle