PDA

View Full Version : Frogs in Quarantine

STIFFWORM
14-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi All,
With all the talk of catching Barra on plastic frogs, I thought I'd be smart and buy a variety of frogs from a large American tackle shop via the internet. When my order failed to arrive I contacted the courier to be informed that my 25 odd packets of frogs were seized by quarantine. Customs advised me that without a manufacturers declaration stating that the plastics were not derived from plant or animal extracts they could not be released to me. Some of the plastics I ordered are already in Aust shops - Zoom Horny Toad, Stanley Ribbits but some not.

Has anyone else successfully ordered soft plastics from the States? Or does anyone have any advice to FREE MY FROGS!

How frustrating - reading about large mouth bass in a local dam and how they got them and I can't get a plastic lure through quarantine!

Any help appreciated. Cheers

FNQCairns
14-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Think you may need to kiss them goodbye. There was a post 6 months or so ago on just this very issue, makes good reading.

cheers fnq

disorderly
14-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Just received some scum frogs from Cabelas a few weeks ago...
Apparently they just hopped right through customs with no drama's at all.

Scott

NAGG
14-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeh my Horny Toads got through! no dramas :)

Nagg

STIFFWORM
14-07-2008, 08:49 PM
YEH thanks 4 your replies, but i think its only making me feel worse.I just can't understand their thinking especially when you can already buy some of them here!!

nipsta
14-07-2008, 09:42 PM
yep my horney toads got through as well andhad also been checked by quarantine and still got to me

cormorant
15-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Go to your local tackle shop and take a photo to show they already exist in aus. Ask them to produce the original declaration by the importer or manufacturer as they should be able to search on their database for it. Well if they cant I guess they will withdraw the commercial supply.

You could always just email the manufacturer and get them to fax a note off to customs as assumably they already ahve done so for the original importer.

None of us want to introduce a new disease or whatever so it would be good to know.

Worth a email to the manufacturer.

el_carpo
15-07-2008, 04:10 AM
..............This really bugs me. Why do companies sell goods to people where they can't be shipped in the first place? I can't believe that they don't have a check in place that stops the transaction from taking place. It's goofy! How can a customer be expected to know that the product isn't allowed to be imported especially when that customer IS allowed to pay for it.

The onus should be on the seller to make sure everything is OK. If you hire an electrician, plumber, or builder, it's their job to know and abide by the codes.

Good luck stiffworm in getting your lures. At the very least I hope you can get your money back!

aussiebasser
15-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Go to your local tackle shop and take a photo to show they already exist in aus. Ask them to produce the original declaration by the importer or manufacturer as they should be able to search on their database for it. Well if they cant I guess they will withdraw the commercial supply.

You could always just email the manufacturer and get them to fax a note off to customs as assumably they already ahve done so for the original importer.

None of us want to introduce a new disease or whatever so it would be good to know.

Worth a email to the manufacturer.

Yeah, just go to your local tackle shop and take photos and tell the proprietor that you just want the pics so you can import them yourself. The Americans refer to them as Frogs and Baits, what is a customs inspector supposed to think?

Steve B
15-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Sorry about your loss, but Its a risk we take buying overseas. I doubt any self respecting tackle shop will let you walk in and start taking photos of their product!!! I would love to see the look on the owners face when you say "mate my internet shipment of frogs got stuck in quarantine...can I take a photo of yours to prove to them......and so on"

Lesson learnt, just BUY them at your local tackle shop.

Steve

DR
15-07-2008, 10:12 AM
First, don't use a courier, get them sent via USPS.
Have been through this a few times now..the last time was rediculous as i had an over zealous quarantine person who did not even check what they were, just saw the word bait in the name & they were quarantined, i have bought in the exact same things many times without problem.

I would send the Manufacturers an email explaining what the situation is, most can be helpful.
If you have any Strike King products in there, kiss them goodbye, as they are basically the worst Company on the face of the earth to deal with & will not help in any way.
As you stated, you need them to put a manufacturers declaration stating that the plastics were not derived from plant or animal extracts on a company letterhead & all will be good. Thats what i would do, you have 30 days before they burn them..

All this comes from someone trying to bring in a shi*load of plastics from China that had all sorts of rubbish not allowed in the country in them, so they now keep a close eye on them..

Magella
15-07-2008, 03:45 PM
None of the frogs were those pork rind type were they?

STIFFWORM
15-07-2008, 05:56 PM
No, nothing like the pork rind, but some Strike King products in there.
I'll try a Manuf Dec from each company and see how I go.

Anyone got an email address for:
Sizmic Lures
Reaction Lures
or Strike King

Thanks & Cheers

DR
15-07-2008, 08:15 PM
No, nothing like the pork rind, but some Strike King products in there.
I'll try a Manuf Dec from each company and see how I go.

Anyone got an email address for:
Sizmic Lures
Reaction Lures
or Strike King

Thanks & Cheers
strike King, Chris Brown is the man you need, say hi from Davo ;D maybe not..
cbrown@strikeking.com

Chris is the marketing man who pretends he relies on others..good luck

STIFFWORM
15-07-2008, 09:00 PM
thanks 4 that dr, still having trouble finding the other 2 .Also looking 4 the web address4zoom bait companyl

2manylures
15-07-2008, 10:47 PM
I've also been done for various things & have found the simplest, easiest way to get your goodies is to have the supplier FAX the info direct to Customs.

The supplier's name is the name on the forms & paperwork & it's the name they take notice of.

It's worked for me in the past without any problems.

Whatever you do DON'T yell & scream or abuse them.

Gorms83
21-07-2008, 10:25 PM
In future, when ever you want to receive things from O/S, speak to the supplier, and ask that they supply a manufactures declaration stating that the lures are:
a) The product is 100% synthetic or mineral in nature; or
b) The product is not derived from animals, plants or microorganisms.

If they attach the dec inside with the goods, it will make life so much easier for everyone,

Hope this helps.

Gorms

BOMBER
22-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Just goes to show that buying local can be better maybe not cheaoer but at least you would be fishing with the frogs by now, hope all works out ok.

The Bomber

rhycebullimore
22-07-2008, 04:46 PM
got my order yesterday, zoom horny toads went through no worries at all. although they did cut it open to see what it was. they left a nice note explaining what they had done.

BOMBER
23-07-2008, 09:35 AM
By the sounds of it Stiffworm you may have been a tad unlucky

The Bomber

LeeannP
23-07-2008, 09:53 AM
No probs with getting a bucketload of Horny Toads from Bass Pro website. You'll get your order within the week. Actually, I've never had a drama with Bass Pro :)

shaneoo
23-07-2008, 01:09 PM
hey guys i had the same problem. myself and a mate order them at the same time. his got through and mine are still in customs. the manufacture has sent the declaration but still no horny toads for me

nipsta
23-07-2008, 05:07 PM
hey guys i had the same problem. myself and a mate order them at the same time. his got through and mine are still in customs. the manufacture has sent the declaration but still no horny toads for me

hey shane you still having troulbe i must have been lucky i have found another place to get them you can order from bassproshop or tacklewarhouse international and see how yas go i got 10 packets and all arrived

Mark Malcolm
23-07-2008, 05:25 PM
How frustrating - reading about large mouth bass in a local dam and how they got them and I can't get a plastic lure through quarantine!

What ever happened to that forum about the largemouth? hope they where rid from our soil.

Cheers,

Mark

STIFFWORM
24-07-2008, 04:58 PM
yeh, i would be interested to hear whats happening with the largemouth bass

Richard
25-09-2008, 04:41 PM
I've got just one of these letters from AQIS as well, holding back my horny toads. The first lot I ordered went through no worries, even got opened by AQIS as well and they let them get through.

But this lot has been detained. Has anyone got a copy of the declaration from Zoom needed to get these through AQIS ?

Or maybe a contact email address for Zoom Baits?

Richard

DavShmav
04-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss with the frog lures. I had the same problem ordering baby snake lures from the Bass Professor website and can't get anyone to even reply to my emails. I work with quarrantine at a freight company at the airport and see this all the time. It is actually up to individual interpertation of each AQIS officer on these laws. I have had 2 officers out inspecting freight on tables and one officer is looking at lures and releasing them and on the other side of the table the other officer is looking at the same brand of lures and is confiscating them. Very frustrating. You unfortunately got either a very over zealous officer or one who never fishes.
Dav