PDA

View Full Version : Bass shut down

darylive
14-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Seems not a single fish was caught at Borumba last Saturday from talking to those who were there.

I had one bump on a slider but other wise nothing and several other fishers reported the same for many hours fishing.

When they are shut down they are shut down eh?

Any way looks like I will have Somerset to myself next weekend.

Pumba
14-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Daryl,
Borumba is one of the worst dams for shut down fish. When they want to shut down, they cant be tempted with anything! (Live shrimp exempt) But, when they want to fire, it can be some of the best fishing going.

On most other dams you can still pull a couple of fish when they are shut down, but Borumba is shocking. I have fished 3 comps there where there have been under 10 fish weighed a session between 50+ really good anglers. The dam hasnt fished well for several months. Here's hoping things will shape up a bit for summer.

Havent heard much coming from Somerset lately, but some guys dont tell anyone if they catch a few because next weekend there will be 20 boats fishing the schools. Somerset is a dam that doesnt take a lot of pressure well.

Cheers,
Matt

Sniper
14-07-2008, 09:32 PM
It looks as though the fishing in most of our local dams are very hit and miss at the moment. I personally think they will start to settle down soon, especially if we keep getting this damp weather that we have had all this year. Its been such a long time since the fish have experienced such conditions that they just aren't used to it. Give it time and they will settle and there will the be ripper sessions that I have heard about before the drought (before I started impoundment fishing).
Just have to hang in there till it does.
Cheers
Bill

darylive
14-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Well I will be trying Somerset this weekend. it was overcast last Saturday and the best water temp I found was 17degrees. Hopefully we get some sun on the water at Somerset this weekend and a few warmer spots.

It has been quite a while since they were on the chew in schools like they were years ago. We might finally have some water in the dam this summer.

thesav
14-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Darylive, imagine the water in Borumba was dirty. Had a heap of rain up here. The rain with the colder water would not be the best conditions for bass. I'm sure it will fire up in Aug/Sept.
Otherwise fish as deep as your lures/jigs will go.
Regards
The Sav

The Phantom
15-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Was the same a fortnight ago. Plenty on the fish finder, none being caught.

Leigh77
15-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I had a similar experience at Lake Maroon on the weekend...absolutely nothin!

Brad Clark
15-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey Darryl

If you go to Somerset tie on a Jackall and put in a heap of casts to the banks. The schools are not firing at the moment. You can find the fish but cannot temp them.

Come for a drive to Cressbrook one day and I will show you around that dam.

Cheers

Brad

darylive
15-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Yes the water at at Borumba was like Tea, plenty of show but no go.

Brad is there finally some water in Cressbrook?
I haven't been there for a long time and the last time it was nearly dry.

Mind you there are not many good reports around at the moment. Last time I had a real good few days would have been at Somerset before it dropped away to nothing. Then I fished there with Dave H after a Bass comp some time ago and even then we did no good but the comp does put a damper on things with all the boats and sounders etc.

:end: :stop: still beats work hey

How is Cressbrook fishing?

MeePee_99
15-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Yer, last time i went to Maroon (a month ago) i found 4 or 5 different schools and not one was interested we tryed everything for only a few fish (but they were good size fish). it seems the tough bite at maroon has bigger but fewer fish caught, not the normal maroon!!!!

darylive
16-07-2008, 04:33 PM
The next surface change is expected over southern Queensland on Thursday and
will rapidly traverse the south of the state reaching the SE later in the day.
Isolated showers associated with the trough may affect the far southern border
areas in the SE overnight on Thursday. The trough will move off the coast on
Friday with drier S to SE winds extending across most of Queensland for the
weekend.

Looking Good for the weekend

Brad Clark
16-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey Daryl

Cressbrook is still sitting around 11%. The fishing has been good though as the water has been stable. No doubt that will change "when" we get water in there. (Got to think positive)

darylive
16-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Fishing Monthly says:

Although the weather over the last week has been ordinary, the fishing has been excellent, in between wind bursts.
Somerset has been firing on jigs, plastics and fly around Pelican Pt. and the spit.
Maroon is enjoying an early burst of surface action, on warm flat days and is producing good bass and goldens on the weed beds.
Moogerah is throwing some of the biggest bass I've ever seen. They're hard to find sometimes but lookout when you get onto them. 50's no longer make headlines on this lake and anyone who thinks there isn't a case for setting up trophy fisheries should go fish some big bass lakes like this one and Somerset.

;D

I don't know where their drum comes from, but i hope they are right and we are all wrong :P

Little grey men
17-07-2008, 08:57 AM
The fish at North Pine Dam have stopped sulking and are back again. It's like someone flicked a switch....Certain parts of the dam were still producing good numbers but not where I was fishing....three weeks without a bite and suddenly WHAM. Big bass doing powerful runs and burying me in the grass. Not a lot of fish were landed last week but the action was fantastic. The kind of bass hits that really rock you, and make you go ....whoaaaaa !!!
They're still deep but at least now they're reachable.
Looking forward to the weekend now.:)