PDA

View Full Version : polycraft owners...

breamnut
14-07-2008, 05:29 PM
since im still on the look out for a boat that can do a bit of alround fishing ive recently been looking at a few polycraft boats (with a few added extra's and dech layout) was just wondering if anybody has had much experiance with them?

Pirate_Pete_Tas
14-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Go to
http://www.polyboatowners.com/

Heaps of info there

manchild
14-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I have a 455 frontrunner ,which have served me very well for 2 years now.The front casting deck is instant for lurefishing.It have been bounced off rockwalls drifting,pulled up on concrete ramps every time we launch or retrieve,run up to beaches to land.In fact we done everything to it what would destroy a tinnie or a glassboat.They are very tough ,practical and for that fact i strongly recommend them.If you after a shiny showpiece however they maybe not for you.Sea handling is,being a heavy piece of plastic is very good ,but takes a bigger motor to run it,i had mine in 4 metre seas with no drama .Mine is 330 kg for a 455 boat.Have a testride and make up your mind .
cheers
George

TheRealAndy
14-07-2008, 07:21 PM
I have a 4.55 Centre console. All up, more pro's than con's. They are an ugly boat but man they can take a beating. I dont respect my goodies very well so this boat suits me well.

But as with any good thing, there is also bad. Polycraft have traded handling for stability. The poly is great when you are sitting there fishing, but when you are banging sideways into 2-3m chop you get very wet, and you need to hang on to the tiller/wheel cause these things dont like going through waves. This is not too different to other boats, but it is noticably worse. IMO, my boat would be better off with the console sitting back another foot or two to help pull the nose up out of the water a tad more. Also, if you are going to buy one, get electric trim, as they are a dog to get the motor set right. They either bog down or when trimmed up ventilate on tight turns.

As for weight, dont beleive it. Pick another boat the same size fitted with a console and casting decks and floor and the weights are all about the same. I checked all this out before I bought mine and was very surprised.

Luke G
14-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I’ve got a 5.3 with a tad over 400 hours

It has been brilliant, the hull is superb - it is stable, soft riding and never broaches. They are fairly basic from the factory but I’ve fitted mine out with a live bait tank, T-top, outriggers, baitbord, esky seat and a good set of electronics.

I regally go camping overnight with out a drama and the usual fishing grounds are 25 to 50 miles out and she does it easy.

There are a few things you should know:
The wiring is poor - no tinned copper and things stop working after a few months so I’ve re-wired the lot. You get wet in a big sea when it’s on the front quarter and side on. Need to keep skids on the trailer lubed so you can push it off.

TheRealAndy
14-07-2008, 09:44 PM

It has been brilliant, the hull is superb - it is stable, soft riding and never broaches. They are fairly basic from the factory but I’ve fitted mine out with a live bait tank, T-top, outriggers, baitbord, esky seat and a good set of electronics.

I regally go camping overnight with out a drama and the usual fishing grounds are 25 to 50 miles out and she does it easy.

The wiring is poor - no tinned copper and things stop working after a few months so I’ve re-wired the lot. You get wet in a big sea when it’s on the front quarter and side on. Need to keep skids on the trailer lubed so you can push it off.

As for broaching, mine does it, but I do take it out in conditions where most would stay at home cursing the weather! You wont notice the broaching till you head out in short chop in the 2+ metre category.

Luke G
14-07-2008, 10:15 PM
G'day do you have a 5.3?

Mines a CC and it has never come close to broaching - today was 28knot winds and up here we have short sharp chop. I has a folowing sea for approx 8 miles with waves probably around the 1.5 to 2m mark and as usual she tracked straight and true. I always tend to trim the motor right up and keep the power on in these sort of conditions.

Cheers

billfisher
14-07-2008, 10:36 PM

I thought wiring is up to the dealer - not Polycraft.

breamnut
15-07-2008, 07:18 AM
thanks for the comments, you may get wet in rough sea's but atleast u wont have to worrry about the hull cracking.
i have a mate who can do all the wireing for me IF i decide to go for one...
ive been looking at the new 4.5 drifter with a 60hp something in the side consol version
also ive herd they are very easy to get in survey

frankgrimes
15-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey Breamnut - I'm in a simliar position as yourself.....looking at selling the tinnie, and getting a 4.5 poly (No more worrying about electrolysis, cracked welds etc).

If buying new, make sure you get one that's already in the yard, so you can really check it out for defects...been told(And seen) that the quality has dropped somewhat recently.

Mick

fez
15-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I also have a 5.3 but in the Cuddy, never felt it come close to broaching, Not doubting you TRA, just my experience.

Polys are not for everyone, but suits what I want to do that's why I bought it. Have a good look around before committing to anything (not just boats).

Fez

Mexikan
15-07-2008, 07:36 PM
My mate has one and I have spent more time in it than my own boat.He bought the base model boat,50 hp motor and trailer.The only extras he bought was the bench seats that doubles as storage or kill tank/esky.He has decked it out himself with a false floor( that leaves the deck clear and is used for spare rods,tackle and safety gear),nav lights,sounder,bait tank and concealed battery + seats rold holders etc.Been fishing up North in it a couple times 7 weeks total all around Sir Edward Pellew Islands and the Macarthur River system open water and estuary.
Id have to say durable because we hit a rock bar in Poison Creek and bounced a bit a came away with only a few scratches.Trim and tilt is definently a plus.The way the boat is designed it can almost turn on a dime and diplaces water well.Under floor tanks are great.Easy to clean.Doesnt fade.Get someone to back the trailer down and you can line the boat up pretty much and hook her straight on.Keep the silicon spray up to the skids on the trailer.The only reel disadvantage that I experienced was if you run in to shallow water or beached at low tide the poly boat is alot harder to move than a tinny.Its either heavier or needs more water to stay bouyant.
For esutary fishing its great but at the end of the day its your choice and your $$$$$
Mex

squizzytaylor
15-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I have a 455 Side console. I do not find it more or less wet than any other boat in the same configuration, at the end of the day an open boat is just that.
The finish on the Polys is not that of a glass boat however I believe in 10 years time will look better than a glass or tinny of the same age, I really give mine hell and once every 3 months pull out the heat gun and fix the little nicks and gouges.
The wiring is not supplied from Poly but is the responsibility of the dealer, having said this a few guys have found the trailer wiring to be less than satisfactory.
As said, the Polys are not for everybody, if you want a stable, quiet, bombproof rig that requires very little maintenance, the poly can not be beaten (imho)
If you want a boat to be seen in with a flawless finish and lots of pretty stuff, go glass.

Im based near Newcastle, but have an open offer to anyone serious about Polys that I am happy to take them for a run if in the area.

Geoff

bushbeachboy
15-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Go check out www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com) You will become acquainted with plenty of good blokes who have lots of experience in poly boats, and it is a really friendly place with everyone willing to share info etc. Considering the amount you will be spending on a boat, it would be worth your time to check it out. If possible, make up a shortlist of boats you like, and then try and get a ride in each of them. My personal opinion is that the Polycraft will surprise you with its ride and handling and quietness on the water. A definite bonus if you like to chase bream. No corrosion - ever. Very tough boat. Not everyone's cuppa tea, but have a good look before you decide to buy.
Cheers

rumy1
15-07-2008, 09:24 PM
OK .... I have to say it. The first few comments were about 2-3-4 m seas they handle great ! If you are out in a 4.55m anything with 4m seas then you are an idiot.
I think the poly's are a great boat and alot of times I wish I got one instead of my Haines Signature due to the rocks and mud at CQ.

Greg P
15-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Luke - did you put the Df150 on the poly?

Must go like sh!t off a shovel if ya did. What are your fuel numbers now - i remember you said u were very happy in another post

Luke G
15-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah she no longer strugles to get up on the plane now. Fuel numbers are great - a slow cruise of 18 litres an hour doing 23-24 knots @ 3600rpm and at 4000rpm im cruising at 27knots using 22 litres an hour. Got another prop there to try out this weekend to gain some more WOT rpm's so well see what happends. At troling speed im using 2.8 litres an hour at 4.5-5knots. A day out trolling for Sails I use 60L insted of 80-90L with the 115 suzy.

Cheers

breamnut
16-07-2008, 07:50 AM
sounds like a great boat,stable,strong because im really gettig over eastery fishing and want to do alot more outside stuff but still want a boat for getting up into the little creeks chasin bream/jacks (with lures ofcorse) i have strated looking at the 4,50 drifter, the 455 and now the 480 brumby.

TheRealAndy
16-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Mate I wouldn't recommend the big polycraft for offshore, they just dont handle the conditions south east qld / northern nsw unless it is really flat. I have talked to a few owners of the big boats and they all confirm my suspicions. My 4.55 is great around the bay, but unless like I said in the big stuff you really need to throttle back to real slow spead or the nose starts following the wave rather than going through it. You dont want this crossing a bar. I have driven a lot of boats over the years, and I can assure you that this is not restricted to the poly, but there are a lot better and safer boats for offshore, especially if you are not familiar with boat handling in rough weather.

marty+jojo
16-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey Nuts,
A mate of mine just got a 4.5 drifter with a 60hp Merc 4 stroke, i have been out for a quick run with him and it is a great boat. On good days he will have no probs getting outside in it, it rides really smooth and quiet. I think you are dreaming if you think you are going to keep up with any of the pro bream boats with a 60hp....
Marty.

breamnut
16-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey Nuts,
A mate of mine just got a 4.5 drifter with a 60hp Merc 4 stroke, i have been out for a quick run with him and it is a great boat. On good days he will have no probs getting outside in it, it rides really smooth and quiet. I think you are dreaming if you think you are going to keep up with any of the pro bream boats with a 60hp....
Marty.
mate i didnt say i wanted to keep up with them as before i was entering the comps with a 390 hornet trophy with a 30hp, i have done pritty well in comps so far.
thats good new about the drifter is it a consol or tiller?
i just found a nice tabs boat with a brand new 60 4 stroke yammie im gettig a price on

marty+jojo
16-07-2008, 05:59 PM
mate i didnt say i wanted to keep up with them as before i was entering the comps with a 390 hornet trophy with a 30hp, i have done pritty well in comps so far.
thats good new about the drifter is it a consol or tiller?
i just found a nice tabs boat with a brand new 60 4 stroke yammie im gettig a price on

It is a side console, he had Cunningham's Marine at Clontarf (Redcliffe) fit it out for him, he got the console further back than polycraft normally fit them. It has plenty of fishing space, but the front platform is small and there is no rear platform. However this does not matter as my mate is a bit of a handyman and is going to fit the boat out the way he wants it, the mods are going to include extending the front platform, a rod locker,rear cast platform, electric motor, carpet floors and decks, live bait tank etc.
As for the Tabs, another mate has a 4.55 Tabs sportfish, it has a 60hp merc 4 stroke and it goes ok on flat water and small chop, but offshore it is a wet underpowered nose heavy pig, maybe a hydrofoil would help it. I would go a poly over a tabs hands down.
If you decide against a poly, have a look at a Bluefin Predator or Warrior 4.5 they are a lot cheaper than a tabs and are built very well.
Anyway that is my opinion only.
Marty.

Pirate_Pete_Tas
16-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Mate I wouldn't recommend the big polycraft for offshore, they just dont handle the conditions south east qld / northern nsw unless it is really flat. I have talked to a few owners of the big boats and they all confirm my suspicions. My 4.55 is great around the bay, but unless like I said in the big stuff you really need to throttle back to real slow spead or the nose starts following the wave rather than going through it. You dont want this crossing a bar. I have driven a lot of boats over the years, and I can assure you that this is not restricted to the poly, but there are a lot better and safer boats for offshore, especially if you are not familiar with boat handling in rough weather.

I have a 5.3 Cuddy & run it in Bass Strait, one of the roughest peices of water in the country & have found it handles the rough stuff with ease & havent heard any thing saying they dont.

TheRealAndy
16-07-2008, 08:19 PM
I have a 5.3 Cuddy & run it in Bass Strait, one of the roughest peices of water in the country & have found it handles the rough stuff with ease & havent heard any thing saying they dont.

You are correct, they do handle the rough stuff well. But they are a dog of a boat to drive. Not a good idea for someone just exploring the offshore areas in south east queensland.

Luke G
16-07-2008, 08:25 PM

Have you spent any time in a big Polycraft?

I can't speek for the 4.55 because i've never been out in one in the rough. But with my 5.3 You will need to throttle back in the big stuff, just like any other 5m boat but I have never had the hull wanting to broach and follow the wave - ever. For a 5m boat I recon they do better then some of the bigger boats ive been in.

Cheers

TheRealAndy
16-07-2008, 08:58 PM
It is a side console, he had Cunningham's Marine at Clontarf (Redcliffe) fit it out for him, he got the console further back than polycraft normally fit them. It has plenty of fishing space, but the front platform is small and there is no rear platform. However this does not matter as my mate is a bit of a handyman and is going to fit the boat out the way he wants it, the mods are going to include extending the front platform, a rod locker,rear cast platform, electric motor, carpet floors and decks, live bait tank etc.
As for the Tabs, another mate has a 4.55 Tabs sportfish, it has a 60hp merc 4 stroke and it goes ok on flat water and small chop, but offshore it is a wet underpowered nose heavy pig, maybe a hydrofoil would help it. I would go a poly over a tabs hands down.
If you decide against a poly, have a look at a Bluefin Predator or Warrior 4.5 they are a lot cheaper than a tabs and are built very well.
Anyway that is my opinion only.
Marty.

Have to agree with you there marty. I would probably go the bluefin.

Breamnut, I asked about the poly here a few months back. If you do a search on "Tell me the bad things about polycraft" you will find all good things about PC.

billfisher
16-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Have you spent any time in a big Polycraft?

I can't speek for the 4.55 because i've never been out in one in the rough. But with my 5.3 You will need to throttle back in the big stuff, just like any other 5m boat but I have never had the hull wanting to broach and follow the wave - ever. For a 5m boat I recon they do better then some of the bigger boats ive been in.

Cheers

I would have thought that one of their best points is resistance to broaching - what with a moderate V and the mini sponsons on the sides. I know my little 4.1 tracks very straight is is much more forgiving in following waves than the tinnies I have been in.

squizzytaylor
17-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Have to agree with you there marty. I would probably go the bluefin.

Interesting, I originally had a deposit on a bluefin barracuda and cancelled to go with the 455 poly after a ride in a mates as I honestly though the ride and handling of the poly was far better, I have been out in a mates 465 territory pro and fitted with a 70hp suzi 4 stroke is a hell of a lot of boat and definately better sea going than the poly or the barracuda.
However
Tabs = $30000+
Bluefin = $23500
poly = sub $20000

These are approximate only, but needless to say with the dollars I saved the boat has been kitted out very well.

geoff

Pirate_Pete_Tas
17-07-2008, 06:42 PM
You are correct, they do handle the rough stuff well. But they are a dog of a boat to drive. Not a good idea for someone just exploring the offshore areas in south east queensland.

You have me lost there Andy. In second they are good in the rough & the next they are no good ? ? ? ? ?

bushbeachboy
17-07-2008, 07:20 PM
So let's get this straight Andy - have you been out in one of the bigger Polycrafts or not? Have you ever driven one at all? Please advise us all of your level of experience with a big Polycraft in any kind of sea.

TheRealAndy
17-07-2008, 08:23 PM
So let's get this straight Andy - have you been out in one of the bigger Polycrafts or not? Have you ever driven one at all? Please advise us all of your level of experience with a big Polycraft in any kind of sea.

Other than the 5.99, which I was going to buy, no. I knew this debate would annoy a few. I have also analysed the hull design of the bigger boats, and they all pretty much share the same design. Furthermore, I have also talked to unbiased owners of the larger crafts (inlcuding PBO owners) and they have all confirmed what I am saying. They also confirm, as I do, that they are one of the most stable vessels they have ever been in. Its not all bad.

Pirate Pete, you have seen my posts on PBO, so you know what I am talking about. Great ride in the open ocean, absolute pig in the short sharp stuff. They are fine until you cross a bar or enter a shallow channel with a big tide. I can smash mine into 2m seas in moreton bay at 20+ knts, but try that entering the pine river or cabbage tree creek, or accross the bars either side of moreton. Sure, you need to adjust your speed, but without experience IMO these boats are far worse than others I have driven, I would not reccomend one as a starter for offshore work.

The constant trimming also pisses me off. Drive straight, trim up, sharp turn, trim down. I have also read the same problems in PBO.

For the people who think I am bagging out polycraft, well I own one and I have no intention of selling it. I am happy with it, even with the small problems. But even though I own one I am not going to defend it, I will tell it as I see it. Kinda like the etec debate, the owners wont hear a bad word about them, its all good. But as with anything, there are good and bad. I will tell both sides of the story, whether the owners like it or not.

bbayjohn
17-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi. 5.3 poly owner here. No problems with my frontruner (bowrider). By the sound of yours, the motor may need lowering as i can go flat out and reef on the sterring & do a complete 180 deg at 50klm without adjusting the trim. I have no problems with short sharp stuff. Just last week I faced 40 knot winds and the poly just carved it up. I have been out in 5mtr breacking swell and it handled it well.
I have the added waight of the electric bow mount and a pair of batteries which helped greatly in ridding bow high.
The only downside to these boats is in a cross wind and the bow spray but its all a learning curve that can be rectified with practice. Oh and also the blow back if refuling to fast.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/bbayjohn/HPIM0393.jpg
Contact me if you would like a test run. No I dont want to sell it, it's just the rissing fuel costs,need people to help with fuel costs, not that the Honda 4st uses alot

bushbeachboy
18-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Other than the 5.99, which I was going to buy, no. I knew this debate would annoy a few. I have also analysed the hull design of the bigger boats, and they all pretty much share the same design. Furthermore, I have also talked to unbiased owners of the larger crafts (inlcuding PBO owners) and they have all confirmed what I am saying. They also confirm, as I do, that they are one of the most stable vessels they have ever been in. Its not all bad.

Pirate Pete, you have seen my posts on PBO, so you know what I am talking about. Great ride in the open ocean, absolute pig in the short sharp stuff. They are fine until you cross a bar or enter a shallow channel with a big tide. I can smash mine into 2m seas in moreton bay at 20+ knts, but try that entering the pine river or cabbage tree creek, or accross the bars either side of moreton. Sure, you need to adjust your speed, but without experience IMO these boats are far worse than others I have driven, I would not reccomend one as a starter for offshore work.

The constant trimming also pisses me off. Drive straight, trim up, sharp turn, trim down. I have also read the same problems in PBO.

For the people who think I am bagging out polycraft, well I own one and I have no intention of selling it. I am happy with it, even with the small problems. But even though I own one I am not going to defend it, I will tell it as I see it. Kinda like the etec debate, the owners wont hear a bad word about them, its all good. But as with anything, there are good and bad. I will tell both sides of the story, whether the owners like it or not.

Is it true to say that you've driven the 599 Polycraft once?

steve bart
18-07-2008, 05:32 PM

I have a 5.99 poly with a 175 suzy and only do offshore fishing crossing the south passage bar going through some sh$ty water and i don't know where you are getting your information from about not handling the rougher conditions .I would have to say that someone has told you porkies.But maybe mine is magic

Pirate_Pete_Tas
18-07-2008, 07:00 PM

From what I read in here & many other sites Bass Strait has one of the shortest wave intevals any where in the country. (I still cant get over how far some people take sub 5M boats out from shore up the east coast) I can only talk from my experiances & that is the 5.3 Cuddy Cab is one of the best handleing boats where I usually work. Yes they can be a bit wet on a cross wind but many boats are, some spray rails will fix that & many ally boats have them fitted. The poly boats could have that done at manafacture too if they wanted.

As for trimming the motor down as you turn, if your boat is set up to what I am told is the best position with the cav plate at or just above the surface when on the plane I dont know any boat that wont cavitate when you do a sharp turn & you will always need to trim. Thats what trim is for.

Luke G
18-07-2008, 08:27 PM
I the way I read TRA's post was his talking about his 4.55 in regards to hating short sharp chop etc. The bigger polys eat it up.

Cheers

squizzytaylor
18-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I think youre right Luke, I have found with mine though that when trying to negotiate a stiff chop in the 455 delicasy or finesse can be your worst enemy, once the conditions get beyond triming down i find trimming up and basically riding on the stern of the boat a very good option, we regularly get southerlies blowing up to 40 knots in the lake here resulting in big close sharp chop.
Having said this it took me 3 motor height adjustments to get it right and the highest position whilst providing good terminal speed was far from ideal with cavitation being a real pain, too deep and the boat lagged badly and the trim was not very effective.

Geoff

TheRealAndy
19-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Trust me lads, I have done a rescue in a 12' tinnie in 3.5 meter seas. I dont give a shit about conditions, its how you deal with it. Luke, I took a test ride in the 5.99, it was a scaled up model of the 4.55, no difference. I could drive it 20 times, its not going to make the hull change shape. Any boat can handle any condition, its just that some do it better than others. Compare a fisher to poly and then try argue.

steve bart
19-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Trust me lads, I have done a rescue in a 12' tinnie in 3.5 meter seas. I dont give a shit about conditions, its how you deal with it. Luke, I took a test ride in the 5.99, it was a scaled up model of the 4.55, no difference. I could drive it 20 times, its not going to make the hull change shape. Any boat can handle any condition, its just that some do it better than others. Compare a fisher to poly and then try argue.

Any boat can handle any condition,what drugs are you on. You were the one that said that the big polys couldn't handle the offshore conditions and now you wan't to compair fisher and polys,on which tangent are you heading this time with your back peddling.

bushbeachboy
19-07-2008, 08:06 AM
So you've driven a 599 on one occasion. Was this a new boat or second hand? Had it been set up correctly with regard to motor height? Why is it that the bigger poly owners who live and fish in areas with big seas like Torres Strait and Bass Straight report differently to you? There has been no argument that the other boats you've mentioned aren't 'as good' as a poly. You simply stated that the big poly was a dog to drive in a bit of sea, apparently based on some hearsay and one test drive. It's ok to be an expert and state expert opinions if you are actually knowledgeable and experienced on the subject, or even professionally qualified.

Having said that, if you'd like to argue the point personally, lets go out fishing one day and argue about it over a beer or three and a few fish!!!!!

TheRealAndy
19-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Any boat can handle any condition,what drugs are you on. You were the one that said that the big polys couldn't handle the offshore conditions and now you wan't to compair fisher and polys,on which tangent are you heading this time with your back peddling.

So someone asks about a polycraft as a first offshore boat, and I said that there are much better options than the polycraft. Compare it to a fisher and there you have it.

Funny you know, when I first started asking questions about the 5.99, most of the unbiased opinions came in email or PM, as poeple did not want to get an online beating for stating there opinion. I understand why now.

So you've driven a 599 on one occasion. Was this a new boat or second hand? Had it been set up correctly with regard to motor height? Why is it that the bigger poly owners who live and fish in areas with big seas like Torres Strait and Bass Straight report differently to you? There has been no argument that the other boats you've mentioned aren't 'as good' as a poly. You simply stated that the big poly was a dog to drive in a bit of sea, apparently based on some hearsay and one test drive. It's ok to be an expert and state expert opinions if you are actually knowledgeable and experienced on the subject, or even professionally qualified.

Having said that, if you'd like to argue the point personally, lets go out fishing one day and argue about it over a beer or three and a few fish!!!!!

Like I said, one test drive is all you need to know the hull behaves the same as mine. I must also qualify that my opinion is based on moreton bay and surrounding areas. I have sailed in bass straight, but its very different to up here.

AS for fishing, where abouts are you? Always up for it. I am about 2 months out from buying my new boat but I could alwasy use some practice fishing time, especially if there is beer involved;D

BTW, after more than 6 months of test driving boats I have chosen the Yalta 555 as my next boat. Will still be keeping the poly for up the creeks and regular mud island trips though. My choice came down to allison, northbank and the yalta. I chose the Yalta in the end cause I thought it was the best bang for buck boat in its class on the market.

billfisher
19-07-2008, 12:13 PM
The Polycrafts would be classed as moderate V - which is what therealandy is hinting at I think. No doubt this would make them wetter and harder riding into choppy seas than a deep V hull. There is nothing wrong with this as the other side of the trade off is that a moderate V needs less horsepower and is more stable at rest.

breamnut
19-07-2008, 05:42 PM
poly's are a heavy boat and u probebly need more HP on the poly then the same sized aluminium boat

marty+jojo
19-07-2008, 06:16 PM
So Nuts, what's going on? Made any decisions yet? Poly? Tabs? Blue Fin?
Marty.

Pirate_Pete_Tas
19-07-2008, 06:25 PM
poly's are a heavy boat and u probebly need more HP on the poly then the same sized aluminium boat

Yes most people go for the max HP on all of the polycraft range.

BAT
19-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Looking at Poly myself! are they flammable?
Also I saw one, a tiller steer out at sea that was flapping around like a wet fish! it did not have any front end in the water, but it may have been the captains fault I dont know just calling it for what I seen.

Cheer's BAT.

breamnut
19-07-2008, 07:37 PM
So Nuts, what's going on? Made any decisions yet? Poly? Tabs? Blue Fin?
Marty.
to many decisions lol though i have found a tabs 4.5 with 60 yammie 4 stroke best of the best on it for $22,000 36hrs and not even a scratch or tiniest bit of rust.

marty+jojo
19-07-2008, 08:10 PM
to many decisions lol though i have found a tabs 4.5 with 60 yammie 4 stroke best of the best on it for $22,000 36hrs and not even a scratch or tiniest bit of rust.
$22000 is a sh*tload of $$$$$,,,, insist on an on the water test to make su®e it is what you want in a boat.
Marty.

fRuItCaKe
19-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Looking at Poly myself! are they flammable?

Cheer's BAT.

They will burn if you heat it up enough, but mix aluminium with iron filings and you get thermite. And it burns hotter than hell!

They are resistant to most chemicals, including battery acid, unlike a tinny which is resistant to bugger all :D

Mike Delisser
19-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I've heard of a brand new polly that handled like a dog in any sort of swell untill it was put back in the mould and heated it up, it's suppose to be fine now. A lack of quality control could be why we're hearing conflicting reports on this thread.
cheers

squizzytaylor
19-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I've heard of a brand new polly that handled like a dog in any sort of swell untill it was put back in the mould and heated it up, it's suppose to be fine now. A lack of quality control could be why we're hearing conflicting reports on this thread.
cheers

That sounds a bit sus to me m62, once the boats are moulded and cooked and then fitted out, the process does not allow for "re-heating or moulding" as they are partly foam filled and have "plugs" that run from inner to outer hull etc. What would be possible is that the boat was not set-up correctly initially at the dealers and then may have been corrected at a later date. The polys unfortunately for us who own them seem to attract all manner of stories up to and including ones of boats that have melted in the sun! I reckon is possible for ANY dealer or manufacturer to inadvertantly set-up an ill handling pig. GT

TheRealAndy
19-07-2008, 10:53 PM
That sounds a bit sus to me m62, once the boats are moulded and cooked and then fitted out, the process does not allow for "re-heating or moulding" as they are partly foam filled and have "plugs" that run from inner to outer hull etc. What would be possible is that the boat was not set-up correctly initially at the dealers and then may have been corrected at a later date. The polys unfortunately for us who own them seem to attract all manner of stories up to and including ones of boats that have melted in the sun! I reckon is possible for ANY dealer or manufacturer to inadvertantly set-up an ill handling pig. GT

Mine is foam free. I thought foam was an option for survey. Needless to say, i doubt that you could put on back into the mold anyway.

Breamnut, the poly is heavy compared to an empty aluminium boat. But If you compare the 4.55 to 4.5m hornet you will find them to be about the same weight. The bigger poly's tend to be a little heavier though, but its not much. Make sure when you are comparing weights, that you compare to a similar fitout.

Bat, I use a trangia stove with a gas burner on my boat to boil the kettle. You could light one up and burn it if you wanted to, but you would have to put a blow torch onto it. To get them ride well, the really need the nose up out of the water.

bbayjohn
19-07-2008, 11:59 PM
They will burn if you heat it up enough, but mix aluminium with iron filings and you get thermite. And it burns hotter than hell!

They are resistant to most chemicals, including battery acid, unlike a tinny which is resistant to bugger all :D

Yes you can burn poly material but when you take away the heat souce the fire or rather the smoldering will go out. Also given the right temp just about everything will burn.

jackextracter
20-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Breamnut i myself have orded the 4.5 with the new 60 merc i was in the same spot as your in now didnt know what boat to pick i wanted something that could handle the bay and inshore reefs for snapper and jew fish good but also wanted a boat that i could go chase jacks and stuff also, i had my eye set on the 4.5 sportfisher from tabs but after they put there price up and someone telling me they were a bit heavy iwent for the poly, im going to fit the front cast deck out better when i get mine because i have seen it is an easy job to do, im paying around the 17000 mark with a 60 4st 80 pound bow mount two electric bowmount batteries sounders and a big underfloor fuel tank and lights all new so im happy with that the only way your going to get a great allrounder for offshore and inshore with great cast decks is buying a boat like flick flack has that boat is a weapon imo but im not going to spend that much money just yet.

Pirate_Pete_Tas
20-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Bat, I use a trangia stove with a gas burner on my boat to boil the kettle. You could light one up and burn it if you wanted to, but you would have to put a blow torch onto it.

I use a gas burner in mine to for hot drinks with no troubles.

As for a blow torch if you look on the polycraft web site in the FAQs section they use 1 to finish the process of cleaning up a repair & it doesnt even look like burning. !!!!!

http://www.polycraft.com.au

billfisher
20-07-2008, 03:21 PM

Only if it is a bare tinnie. A fully decked out tinnie with casting deck and so on doesn't weigh all that much less. And you will need less HP than a same sized deep V fiberglass boat.

TheRealAndy
20-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Just come back for a bash in the bay. The best part i love about the polycraft is that I reverse it on the driveway, flush the outboard, hose off the trailer then wheel it into the garage. All done in under half an hour. I have a deckwash pump, so I can wash off all the fishguts on the water and I never EVER clean the boat at home!!

breamnut
21-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Breamnut i myself have orded the 4.5 with the new 60 merc i was in the same spot as your in now didnt know what boat to pick i wanted something that could handle the bay and inshore reefs for snapper and jew fish good but also wanted a boat that i could go chase jacks and stuff also, i had my eye set on the 4.5 sportfisher from tabs but after they put there price up and someone telling me they were a bit heavy iwent for the poly, im going to fit the front cast deck out better when i get mine because i have seen it is an easy job to do, im paying around the 17000 mark with a 60 4st 80 pound bow mount two electric bowmount batteries sounders and a big underfloor fuel tank and lights all new so im happy with that the only way your going to get a great allrounder for offshore and inshore with great cast decks is buying a boat like flick flack has that boat is a weapon imo but im not going to spend that much money just yet.
tell me what u think of it once you get it. id love to get a boat like rods but id be saving for a few more years!!