PDA

View Full Version : Starlo Stix/raider?

jaredluke
14-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I am currently planning for my trip to the whitsundays late next year and will mainly be casting SP with the odd possibility of casting slugs and bottom bashing(although I have an overhead for this). Would a shimano starlo stix snapper or raider snapper handle this? the rating for these rods are 5-8kg.
If these rods are not suitable could you recommend some other rods to me but I cannot really spend more than 140.

Kleyny
14-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I have a raider in the 2-4 kg and IMO it sh!ts allover the starlo stix.
I use a Live fibre for my heavier plastics in the range of both price and rating you are looking at.

neil

MeePee_99
14-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Def the raider over the starlo stik

jaredluke
14-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Would the raider be able to handle reefies up north? Mainly trevs, maby some coral trout etc. I need a two peice rod as well due to plane restrictions

revs57
14-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Jared,

I have a starlo stix snapper heavy that I've matched nicely to both a 460 slammer and 560 slammer, it is a brute of a rod and able to handle good fish, runs in the 6-10kg bracket and I run 10 & 15kg braid over it successfully. Heaps of grunt through the rod but still nice and tippy - similar to the s10 EGrell (I have one of these and love it) without the price tag, but it obviously doesn't have the finess of the grell, the second stage of the grell is awesome in power - but the Stix is a lovely rod all the same and will serve your purpose within a reasonable budget

Cheers

Rhys

MeePee_99
14-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Personally if i was going for a fish up north i would be taking better gear, although it depends on how much fishing you are doing and if you will use the rod down here too, the raider will still do the job though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hooknose
14-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Mate the Starlo stik will do the job fine, strong as. It doesnt have to cost you a lot of money to have fun with plastics !!
Cheers !!!

jaredluke
14-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks all, as you can probably tell I am on a budget as I am only a student I do not want to spen more than 150 max for a rod because I want to buy a half decent reel. The rod will probably be only used a couple of times because here at redcliffe I fish light for snapper using bream gear.

MeePee_99
14-07-2008, 09:44 PM
If your spending 150 look at the starlo stik tournament pro midspin or heavy spin there are much better than raiders and not alot more $ !!!!!!!!!!!

revs57
15-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Hi jared,

You should be able to fit a rod in a rod tube for travel, not necessarily two piece only, We've just got back from NZ and I saw a few 7' rod tubes at Check in - just goes in through oversize baggage - no problem.

Cheers

Rhys

Horse
15-07-2008, 07:00 AM
For thast sort of work I would go the Starlo Stix snapper heavy.It is a brute of a plastic rod. The Tournament pro heavy spin is a great rod but more suited to deep bay snapper and spinning. Plastics and coral reef need a no nonsence aproach with at least 15kg braid and leader

jaredluke
15-07-2008, 07:14 AM
revs57 what airplane company was that?

Roo
15-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I am currently planning for my trip to the whitsundays late next year and will mainly be casting SP with the odd possibility of casting slugs and bottom bashing(although I have an overhead for this). Would a shimano starlo stix snapper or raider snapper handle this? the rating for these rods are 5-8kg.
If these rods are not suitable could you recommend some other rods to me but I cannot really spend more than 140.

Themissus and Myself went to the Solomons earlier this year and we had the same sort of predicament. What we wanted wasn't going to fit and what would fit we didn't really want.!!!
We ended up compromising and buying some pretty cheap rods for the trip and taking a few backups in case of disaster(breakage). What we bought were 2 Shimano Catana 682 spin rods [CTN 682 SPIN 6'8" /2 piece/5-10kg/14-28gm lure weight] (http://www.shimanofish.com.au/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743020 53913&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181791&bmUID=1216082038729)
These were cheap as chips ($49) and proved to be pretty useful rods. They have a light tip and a strong but section, I liked it better than the snapper raider myself....BUT!!! I'd have a backup plan...or get 2 of them because 1 rod snapped like a twig (fault under the guide and was replaced when I got home) while the other got bent quite seriously by some solid fish and is still going strong! It was lucky I had a couple of backup rods.
So there you go, you dont need to spend a motsa to get a suitable rod for your trip. and if it is a one off purchase just for the trip then the cheapy (or 2) might be a better bet.
I have one sitting in the rack with the plastic on the cork and tags still swinging ready for the next Overseas adventure.

Cheers Roo.

Rufus
15-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey, In my collection of rods I have a Starlo Stix - Squidgy Spin - H 4 - 8 kg, matched with an Okuma Epix EP 40 baitrunner reel. I took this rig along with my Ugly Sticks and Shimano Reels to Hinchinbrook earlier this year and it performed fantasticly. We were catching 70cm Javelin, 48cm Jacks, numerous Trevally and all was good. Since I have been back I have caught an 84cm Snapper in the Bay and it handled this just fine. As far as I am concerned, it is not the cost of the rig it is how it is built, and how it feels, ie the balance.
I tubed all my rods for the trip to Cardwell, FNQ and all travelled fine. We flew with Virgin Airlines.
Have a great trip and tight lines.

Mark

revs57
15-07-2008, 12:00 PM
G'day Jared,

It was an Air NewZealand flight, but I have taken oversize luggage (6' long P.A. stands and P.A) on both Jet Star and Virgin.

I have seen 7' long rod tubes as regular travellers on both company's on the occasions I have flown to Cairns and Darwin - it really shouldn't be a problem at all.

Cheers

Rhys

jaredluke
15-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Roo where did you purchase your Shimano Catana rod? Because I am thinking of purchasing it as a backup rod

Roo
16-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Go Camping & Fishing @ Nerang but anywhere that stocks shimano may also have them.

Cheers Roo.

P.s. The reason I liked it better than the Snapper Raider was the shorter butt section. suits me better. very similar build recipe(butt length and guide spacing) to the the T-curve Power spin....Nice rod but not what i really wanted to keep and it was nearly $300 bills. Wanted to save my dough for an Egrell S10.;)

whatscracken
16-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I've got a Starlo Stix 7'6'' 5 - 8kg and it is a great rod, plenty of action in the tip for plastics but still strong enough down low to put on a bit of hurt. I got this rod for the same reason, I can get it onto to the plane each time without a drama.

bought it online from M O T A C K L E and had it delivered in two working days

jaredluke
17-07-2008, 07:43 AM
I am thinkig of either purchasing a raider or shimano stix 5-8kg with the catana as a back up, or just purchase two catana's one being my main rod and the other being a backup.

Roo
17-07-2008, 09:48 AM
check them out first. like i said, i preferred the shorter butt length on the catana although it is only 6'8" long, when i put it side by side with most other 7'ft 6-10kg rods, the only difference is in the length behind the reel seat. The Starlo/Raider snapper models have a long butt section behind the reel seat. some like it, some don't. Have a feel of them and go from there.

Cheers Roo.

jaredluke
18-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Roo what sized reel did you go with yours?

baitmaster
18-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Raider!!!!!!!

Peter-B
19-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Check with the airline you are going to travel with they all seem to have different size constraints, I flew to cairns with Virgin and the max length they would take was 2.03 mtr's.

I have read where people taking longer tubes have been refused. It pays to make a call first

Big-Pete

stonecold
20-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Im with roo jared...I was reluctant to take any prized tools with me when on a short break on Hamilton Island. I took some of the kids hand me downs. One was a 2-4kg uglystick 2 piece the other some sort of Kmart knockoff, (unknown lineclass but I fished 20lb braid over it). Both 2 piece. I did take my reels to put on them which meant the drags were smooth. Caught heaps of trevs, queenfish, trout, sweetlip etc. fished plastics, poppers, slices both from shore and a hire tinny. If its a rod that will only get limited use you may already have one at home that will do the job just fine.