PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon line

NAGG
14-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi Ausfishers

With the cold clear waters that we have down here in Sydney atm ...... I'm looking at using FC mainline for my breamin on 1 outfit.
I've used Vanish transition once before ...... but wasn't impressed!
Are there any other brands worth looking at in the 4lb range

Thanks in anticipation!

Nagg

the gecko
14-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi Nagg,
Ive used the japanese Nitlon 4lb FC, it worked good.

Andrew

sorry , I used it for leader, not mainline. I just reread your post.
Is there a difference?

plaztix
14-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Nagg,
Ive used the japanese Nitlon 4lb FC, it worked good.

Andrew

sorry , I used it for leader, not mainline. I just reread your post.
Is there a difference?

Cant help you Nagg sorry, as i dont use mono/fluoro as mainline anymore. i love braid too much to go back.:P

To answer your question Andrew, as far as i am aware, most lines made as leaders are designed to provide a good amount of stretch, to absorb shock and also made with a tougher more wear resistant outer, this obvioulsy makes them stiffer and a little less likely to roll off the spool and through the guides smoothly.

Good mainlines should have minimal amounts of stretch and be nice and supple.

I've seen people use leader lines as mainlines and vice versa but obviously they are not designed for these purposes and in lighter setups (like nagg is using) and in finesse fishing (when your throwing 2gram lures) the right type of line makes a big difference.

reddybayfisher
14-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Not sure if it comes in 4lb - but I am using Yo-zuri Hybrid (Flurocarbon & Nylon) - I use heavier than 4lb but I am impressed....

MattChew
14-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi Nagg, I am using Sunline BMS Sniper in 3lb .... one of the best in my opinion.

Ta
Matt

Keechie
14-07-2008, 02:14 PM
hey nagg the 4lb fluorocarbon that i use for fishing all the way through is sunline basic fc, it comes in 300m spools and is relatively cheap compared to some about $20. i am quite happy with it as i have only been using it for the last month.

regards,
keechie

smoked
14-07-2008, 04:09 PM
NAGG Sunline Basic FC is a good line. 4lb is nice and fine.

smoked

MeePee_99
14-07-2008, 05:35 PM
i like the basic in 2 pound, good stuff

Thats a good way to get them to bit in the clear water two pound, so say its too light but if the bites tough it pay to go light and i loose hardly any fish (i catch flattie, pike with it and dont really get done), but losing a couple of fish doesnt matter it your not getting any to start with!!!!!!!!!

NAGG
14-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Not sure if it comes in 4lb - but I am using Yo-zuri Hybrid (Flurocarbon & Nylon) - I use heavier than 4lb but I am impressed....
yeh ... The Yanks like the Hybrids like we like our braids ........ never used them yet:-/

Nagg

NAGG
14-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Matt , Keechie & Smoked ...... The basic was mentioned to me , however there was mention of dramas ( loose coils) when fished on a small spool 1500/2000 size reel - line memory
Did you guys fish 2500 size reels with the Basic ? ...... which was recommended to me :(

Cheers & Thanks

Nagg

Keechie
14-07-2008, 05:54 PM
i am using a 2000 daiwa exceller and only the first time i used it i had trouble with it on the first trip. but i decided to every few casts wind the line on tight and now it never has loose line again.

regards,
keechie

NAGG
14-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Cant help you Nagg sorry, as i dont use mono/fluoro as mainline anymore. i love braid too much to go back.:P

To answer your question Andrew, as far as i am aware, most lines made as leaders are designed to provide a good amount of stretch, to absorb shock and also made with a tougher more wear resistant outer, this obvioulsy makes them stiffer and a little less likely to roll off the spool and through the guides smoothly.

Good mainlines should have minimal amounts of stretch and be nice and supple.

I've seen people use leader lines as mainlines and vice versa but obviously they are not designed for these purposes and in lighter setups (like nagg is using) and in finesse fishing (when your throwing 2gram lures) the right type of line makes a big difference.

:thumbsup: Spot on Plaztix ...... there is a significant difference between a FC leader & mainline ........ The stiffness & memory of FC leader , would make it a disaster when flicking lightweight lures / plastics
I've seen people use the vanish FC as leader ...... but the abrasion resistance is only on par with mono:( ..... so why bother unless you want a sinking leader & believe in the invisibility factor:-/
I'm a bit like you ..... Love braid 8-) ...... & the spool of Vanish I bought previously was the first & only in the last 10 years.

Cheers

Nagg

NAGG
14-07-2008, 06:07 PM
i am using a 2000 daiwa exceller and only the first time i used it i had trouble with it on the first trip. but i decided to every few casts wind the line on tight and now it never has loose line again.

regards,
keechie

Thanks Keech ....... I'm tossing up the idea of fishing FC off either my Certate 1500 or loading up the spare spool on my 2500 Caldia:-/ I really don't want to spoil the Certate / T Curve 4lb braid set up though :'(

Nagg

Keechie
14-07-2008, 06:28 PM
oh yeah 1 thing i noticed is that i am sure that the fluorocarbon was floating, i tied on my jighead and cast out and left a bit of slack and i am confident that it wasn't sinking. i am not too sure but yeah strange. if you want you could just buy a spare spool but for the certate that will most likely cost a fair bit, if i was you i would stick with the 4lb braid combo and put it on the 2500 sized reel, although the line may fall a bit short of the lip of the spool.

regards,
keechie

NAGG
14-07-2008, 07:43 PM
oh yeah 1 thing i noticed is that i am sure that the fluorocarbon was floating, i tied on my jighead and cast out and left a bit of slack and i am confident that it wasn't sinking. i am not too sure but yeah strange. if you want you could just buy a spare spool but for the certate that will most likely cost a fair bit, if i was you i would stick with the 4lb braid combo and put it on the 2500 sized reel, although the line may fall a bit short of the lip of the spool.

regards,
keechie

About $90 for a spare Certate spool
So the Caldia is the logical choice as it came with a spare spool
Having said that ...... For me , I dont like 2500s for finesse fishing::)

Nagg

PS ..... & I think the Miss Stella will chuck a tiz ..... & turn the FC into macrame ;D

ffejsmada
14-07-2008, 08:40 PM
What's the point Nagg???

Why don't you extend your leader length, youre not fishing ANSA rules are you with rod and a half length leader???

Jeff.

NAGG
14-07-2008, 10:23 PM
What's the point Nagg???

Why don't you extend your leader length, youre not fishing ANSA rules are you with rod and a half length leader???

Jeff.

Good point Jeff ....... Till you try to fish a knot on your spool ......... F'n disaster:( ( my knot starts just ahead of the spool)
This is finesse fishing to the extreme ........... I'm going to anchor & lay a trap ........ by casting a leaving the SP / lure ...... sitting , till a breambo moves to it:P
If I catch one of these ...... you'll all know about it:2vrolijk_08:;)

Nagg

MattChew
15-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Matt , Keechie & Smoked ...... The basic was mentioned to me , however there was mention of dramas ( loose coils) when fished on a small spool 1500/2000 size reel - line memory
Did you guys fish 2500 size reels with the Basic ? ...... which was recommended to me :(

Cheers & Thanks

Nagg

Hi Nagg, the BMS Sniper goes on and off the spool with no dramas. I run mine on a 2000 Sol and it's a multi coloured Fluro for easy bite detection. Buy some, you won't look back, just be ready for that dull tap as a bite or watch the line as the feel is about 10% of what braid is. Much easier for constant changing of end tackle as you never run out of leader length.

Ta
Matt