PDA

View Full Version : Egrell Tackle Test

Frank OO
14-07-2008, 10:15 AM
It is not often that you get the opportunity to fish with Australia’s Finest Rod Builders, so when the Eric Grell told me he was coming down to Bribie Island, I had no option but to invite him for a fish in Moreton Bay area.

We left Spinnaker sound Marina at about 5am on Sunday 13 July and headed towards Hutchison’s Reef. The forecast was fantastic and the wind was only blowing about 12knots from the North East but it was really sloppy.

The bait was everywhere and it wasn’t long before the first couple of Snapper came on board. Eric likes to have his drag set hard up because that way he puts the maximum amount of pressure on his rods and other components so his Snapper didn’t take long to break the surface.

Ben, my usual fishing partner snagged a small Snapper and a Yellowtail Kingfish. Both of which went back to the water. Then everything went quiet.

The invitation to go fishing was one thing but now there was a lot of pressure on me to make sure that Eric had the opportunity to really test his gear on some much larger fish.

Amazingly the wind stopped and the conditions glassed out and that was all we needed to enable us to travel another 25kms to one of my favourite Cobia spots.

I will let the photos will describe the rest of the day.

Frank OO

Pistol_P
14-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Great stuff as usual Frank.

Nice cobes.....They are great on plastics hey.!

Headed out with Benny this week....Hopefully the AJ's are around to heat up the saltiga's drag.

Pete

seapup
14-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Nice work Frank!!! What did the biggest Cobe weigh?
Cheers,
Benny.

Frank OO
14-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Benny,

It went off the scale at 25Kg and is easily as big as my daughters 34Kg Cobe.

Hope you and Pete have a great time.

Frank OO

ooglie74
14-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Nice cobia frank I was just thinking last week that the cobia should be around very soon.

Cheers Troy

-spiro-
14-07-2008, 11:14 AM
good cobes Frank

skipalong
14-07-2008, 11:22 AM
nice fish frank passed you when you were on your way in coditions were excellent and dark come along glassed out like magic beautiful to be out there again

backlash08
14-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Great pics Frank - thanks and some nice cobe in that lot

Liberty
14-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Great cobes Frank! Sounds like an excellent day.

Frank OO
14-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Skipalong,

I thought it might have been you. Heard your call on the radio. Did you do any good at Caloundra??

Frank OO

Frank OO
14-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Gooday All,

We hooked and caught a lot more but felt really bad about injuring and having to keep a couple of big ones but most of them went back for the next time.

Some even went back before we saw them.

Frank OO

black_sheep
14-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Well done Ben, about time you caught something bigger than a donut :-X although a lot of the praise has to go to the skipper. Nice to catch a quality fish like that on some quality gear mate. Pretty hard to beat an S10H on a Certate 3500HD. You did well for 30lb Ben;)

Frank - I hope you weren't testing my virgin S10H's !! You the man!

Good to see that you guys got onto some quality cobes and ensured Eric had a great day out.

I cleaned up at Peel on the grinners;D - the buggers kept eating my SP's and cost me about $30 in Gulps>:( . Only managed 1 legal squire but awesome weather so can't complain.

Big_Ren
14-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Well done Frank, Ben and Eric

Some spectacular cobe action to say the least. I am sure Ben should have been working hard at home on Sunday........he chose the better option me thinks;) Well done mate, that is a hefty sucker (the cobe;) ).

Tim_N
14-07-2008, 01:36 PM
What gear were you using Frank?
Tim

Frank OO
14-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Tim,

Eric - S10 (Egrell) Saltiga 4500 - 30lbs Braid (PE3) 1oz Jig head - White Assassin.

Ben - My S10H(Bear) - Ben's Certate 3500 HD - 30lbs Braid 1oz Jig Head- Nuclear Chicken

Frank - Egrell " Big Bertha" Saltiga 4500H - 50 lbs Braid- 2oz Jig Head- Nuclear Chicken

Frank OO

reel scream
14-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Well done again Frank. Bloody nice fish. WHO'S favourite cobia spot is it? LOL. I'm off to sulk after todays effort.

Cheers Scott.

revs57
14-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Nice to see the "Grell team" at work with tight lines and bending rods Frank - excellent return mate catch and pre-release is a method Swano is perfecting too ;) . Hope to get out there again soon

cheers

Rhys

death_ship
14-07-2008, 06:09 PM
sounds like a cobia bonanza is on for the next few months, 50 pound is the go to sort those big ones out. what jig heads u using to withstand that kinda pressure frank?

skipalong
14-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi frank

Dad just returned from fraser saturday and couldnt pass up the weather and clean the boat of sand so we took it for a quick run,

we fished the in the area of the 14 mile but couldnt get through the little rubbish, beer got the better of him, we were just gettin nailed by small pearlies, squire but nothing worth talking about,

at the moment looks like i need to be going with you to get a few fish you have been doing pretty good looking at your results.

Frank OO
15-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

Death Ship, I tend to use the TTs with heavy wire but the reason I used the 2oz Jig head is because the hook is super strong.

Skipalong, We have had to work pretty hard to get onto the Snapper lately. The Cobia were just there on the day. Eric went out again the next day and didn't see one.

Hi Rhys, It must be about time for you to get in amongst them. It has been a week or two. I am not a fan of the Pre-Release but it does happen to the best of us. Just for info, I have been savaged on skirts the last three times just off the Cape and Eric and Ben said they say a sickle Fin at Hutchies. So that could have been a Marlin.

Interesting that there are Marlin and toothy monsters about in the middle of winter.

Frank OO

skipalong
15-07-2008, 02:01 PM
frank i know what you sayin been a funny year and hard work for fish is not the word, i think the patchy rain has shut them down, we had great show of fish and bait but just not taking the bigger baits.

indy
15-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Nice cobes frank it has been a while since i nailed a good one of those

cheers pete...

Frank OO
16-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Pete,

They seem to be around in good numbers at the moment. They are also showing up in lots of places.

Frank OO

scoota
16-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Great work there Frank again! I'm sure Eric had a good day out with you;) . Might see you at the Bribie M&G this weekend if your into it!

Those winter Marlin around the Cape reefs have always had me intrigued as I have seen many over the last 10 years when heading for an afternoon/evening snapper fish and witnessed them seeming to be frolocking in the shallows?

Scoota...