PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic steering servicing

Jabba_
13-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Had the boat on the water today, and found a problem with my Seastar steering...... Whats happening is it keeps turning Starboard (right)... am forever putting input into the wheel to keep it going straight (forever adjusting the wheel to port)......

Back on the trailer I turned the motor to full lock, then with a bit more pressure I can continue to turn the wheel... First there's a bit off resistance, then the resistance drop away and the wheel turns... Feels a bit like Turing a motor over by hand using the crank.....

There is not oil leaking at the motor end off the system, and I am yet to investigate behind the helm... If there is an oil leak a the helm, is the a service kit I can put through these Starstars or are they a throw away item....
Also, if it is just a case that I am low on hydraulic oil/fluid and there is air in the line, What oil is it I should be using.... I know Seastar have there own oil,,, but what is a quality alternative.....

Thanks
Matt

FNQCairns
13-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Jabba the alternative is aviation hydraulic oil, like that used in landing gear hydraulics. It's filtered and of a spec well above all automotive oils that I know of anyway. Best in all truth to use the genuine article which by the way is the same spec (military)of the aviation oil as I mentioned above and near the same price point too.

You may have air but you may also have a blocked one way valve, sounds like your pressure relief is working when you forced it at lock, just guesses though. They can be rekitted, this might be your next step unless you just need to bleed some air.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
13-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Jabba, seeing you have passed a 1000hrs I would be giving the whole steering system a good flush with new oil.. marine controls have Sh!t loads on the shelf.. hardly worth chasing an alternative as the price difference is very marginal.

Jabba_
13-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys...

I'll be flushing it out tomorrow... Hope that fix's it

Garry,, A 1000 hours,,,, I wish.... Getting time on the water is a luxury at the moment, as the wind all ways knows when I have a day off work...

What do you mean when you say marine controls,, are they a boating shop, if so, where are they located.... Also if the flush and bleed does not work, is there a kit available to service these units?

cormorant
13-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Helm sounds normal as they have a presure relief built in that gives they lumpy feel

If it is a bullhorn mount you most likely have a piston oring that is bypassing hydraulic fluid or a overpressure flap valve ( if they still have them) with grit in it. Baystar and seastar are different.

The reason you probably keep adjusting one way is that with hydraulic steering being so good many people never bother to adjust the trim tab on the motor. That constant torque pressure on the ram can cause premature failure of parts.

You can leak down test it by strapping back of motor (harder with these new fancy smooth cowls) to corner of boat and tensioning strap with ratched. It should stay taught with tension and if it doesnt a seal in the ram or bypass is stuffed.

Go to the USA sea star sight and look at the parts list. The ram is the issue I think.

Service kit if you buy the right one comes with the spanner to undo the ram and the caps to protect the shaft orings when putting back together.

marco
14-07-2008, 03:01 AM
bla has all the service kits on there web site in a pdf file

Mad-One
14-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Marine cables is a shop in Labrador

Mad

Spaniard_King
14-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Jabba, these guys are the experts http://www.marinecontrolsystems.com.au/

a wealth of knowledge too;)

Thanks guys...

I'll be flushing it out tomorrow... Hope that fix's it

Garry,, A 1000 hours,,,, I wish.... Getting time on the water is a luxury at the moment, as the wind all ways knows when I have a day off work...

What do you mean when you say marine controls,, are they a boating shop, if so, where are they located.... Also if the flush and bleed does not work, is there a kit available to service these units?

Jabba_
14-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Mate, your a ledgend... Those guys are at Labrador, just a around the corner from me... Going there now....

Thanks Garry

Jabba_
14-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Job done, the system just need to be blead.. My Son (8'yo) and I did it together..... It's as good as new at a cost off $12..... If only everthing was that cheap in boating....

Now it's time to go fishing....

Matt