PDA

View Full Version : Young Lads first Pearlie

SteveCan
13-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Took three generations out of Tweed yesterday morning, it was one of the roughest and wettest trips out I have had actually. What I thought was going to be a nice sort of day had the wind blowing briskly from the south and knocking up some chop. Punching out into it was suprisingly unpleasant, thumpy and wet.

Once we got to a spot we dropped the onchor on some show in about 20m of water and floated out some baits of squid and mac tuna on snelled two-hook rigs with light weight into the burley trail. Despite the windier than expected conditions we quite liked the day with some whales off cook Island putting on a very spectacular show.

My Son has been coming fishing with me for a few years now and has just liked the trip and pretty much ignored the fishing. The last couple of trips however he has taken a greater interest in holding a line and today was in amongst it from the start. He was thrilled to hook up to a good fish and fought it in all the way. Imagine our surprise when he boated a nice Pearl Perch!

He was even more impressed when I told him that neither Grandad nor I had ever caught a Pearl Perch before. Fortunately a few minutes later I was lucky to boat one too. Still, Dad and I were let know in no uncertain terms the ranking with which we were to be judged for the rest of this fishing trip!

Another good day above ground and about time the fishing gods co-operated. It's been tough to get a line in lately.

Benno1
13-07-2008, 07:42 PM
nice one Steve...glad you got out and picked up a feed...well your son did :P

MEGA'bite
13-07-2008, 07:45 PM
good onya mate theres nothing more rewarding than taking your boy out fishing especially when they catch some fish , well done to your lad .cheers

Spaniard_King
13-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Steve, just currious but is that an old model Viking (the orange one) :)

uripper
13-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Nice one Dad - enjoy - those years are so short - make the best of them.

Fingernail polish is a great lure ??

MalM.

uripper
13-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Steve, just currious but is that an old model Viking (the orange one) :)

I'll punt on a "Rogue"

Heath
13-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Top report Steve. Sure was ordinary conditions yesterday. We got out to the 50's & it was crap, so come in a lot shallower.

My young bloke comes with us every trip too & loves it. 7yo & into his 5th season !

reel scream
13-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Thats great Steve. You can see the pride in the young fellas eyes in the first photo- he's stoked. You can also see the "mine is bigger than yours dad" in photo 2. Good on him and great he didn't come undone RE the conditions.
Think my 3 1/2 yo is getting her sea legs but the young fella ( 2 and a bit) takes a seat if its unsteady.

Cheers Scott

Braddles
14-07-2008, 12:25 AM
nice fish, happy times, and noice nails lol.

TimiBoy
14-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Sigh... I wish I'd had the boat when my kids were young. They really don't show that much interest these days. Still, at least they are obsessed with cricket. Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Nice to get Pearlies, huh?

Cheers,

Tim

SteveCan
14-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Cheers guys,

The boat is an original condition 1973 Sportsmancraft Contessa V169. 70 hp Evinrude - now 35 years old but with regular servicing she has yet to give me a single problem in the seven years I have owned her. Fishes three people in comfort and a nice ride, if a little unstable due to the deep v.

As for the nail polish, sisters can be a bad influence sometimes...

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

skipalong
14-07-2008, 11:18 AM
great mate start them young they will love it forever

backlash08
14-07-2008, 12:06 PM
great, simply great to have the kids enjoy a day on the water