PDA

View Full Version : What size boat strap for trailering?

Gorey1
13-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi all. Just got a new boat (2nd hand. new to me) and am going to get a tie down strap to fasten to ther trailer. What sort of breaking strain is recommended? The boat is 4.5m and from what I've read it weighs about 320kg so pushing 400 with a full tank. Typical single axle trailer if that matters and I'll be going on the freeway from time to time also.

tunaticer
13-07-2008, 05:15 PM
In all reality the strap just stops it moving on the trailer and bouncing. A 200kg strap would suffice but I would opt for probably a 30mm wide webbing strap with a breaking strain of around 500-1000kg.

Pulling a boat down too tightly onto a trailer is not a good exercise for your boat. It places excessive weight on the rollers and the hull where they have contact.

You only have to hold the trailer firmly in place.

Jack.

Poseidon
13-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Whatever one you end up buying just make sure that the ratchet part clears the side of your hull otherwise damage could occur.
Mine was fitted by the dealer and after it's maiden road trip the ratchet scoured a nice groove into the side.
Since then I have modified it so the ratchet assembly sites below the boat.

Regards Cameron.

Mr__Bean
13-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I am going to (respectfully) disagree that the strap only has to stop the boat moving on the trailer.

I believe that the strap has to be able to hold the boat and trailer firm as a single unit when you hit that unexpected bump.

With a low strength strap you will see the boat bounce up off the trailer and then thump back down on the rollers etc.

Having a good strong strap doesn't mean that you have to crank it down extremely hard, it just needs to be firm but with the heavier strap you don't get the stretch in the strap when you do hit that big bump. It lifts the trailer up with the boat more and the trailer springs then absorb the impact when coming down rather than the bottom of the boat hitting hard on the trailer.

- Darren

Gorey1
13-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks all.
I have a strap of about 900kg breaking strain and I did notice that too much crank causes the boat to deform a bit, so I won't tighten it too much, just firm enough to stop any bouncing. Good tip on preventing the ratchet gouging the boat - I noticed that could happen, so I wrapped it in a cloth, but modifying it to sit below the boat - genious.
Gorey

Roughasguts
13-07-2008, 07:10 PM
I use about a 50mm strap slightly angled to hold the hull from sliding forward and riding your winch post, wihch it could easily do, cause they aint;t that solid in fact a bridle would be good to stop your boat from sliding forward in a smash riding the hull over the vehicle. Bounce is one thing forward propulsion is another.

Getout
13-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Don't use one strap over the middle of the boat. Tie it down with two straps- one off each corner of the transom (eg ski hooks), down to the rear of the trailer. This not only stops bounce but also prevents backward movement if the winch wire/chain/post should fail.
The centre-strap method causes unnecessary wear and tear on the gunwale.

fez
14-07-2008, 09:44 AM
I use a seatbelt shoulder protector over the rachet part of my straps t prevent unwanted gouging/rubbing on the hull. Cheap as from super cheap/repco etc and easily replaced.

Fez

Noelm
14-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I guess as a general "rule" get a good wide one to minimise Boat damage, get the strongest one you can, it can never be too strong, make sure the ratchet system is good, the elcheapo ones are not worth a squirt! make sure the trailer attachment point is strong and well positioned, no use having the best strap in the World if the trailer "lug" is crap, remember also as a few have touched upon, the strap stops the Boat jumping up and off the rollers, sliding forward or back on the trailer (into the car, or onto the road) there is a huge load on your winch if you need to hit the brakes hard! a Boat in the boot is not a good thing.