PDA

View Full Version : Outboard maintenance

SummerTrance
13-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I have a 2003 Johnson 70hp 4stroke. Apart from flushing and annual service, what maintenance should I be doing to keep it in top condition ?

Any feedback will be helpful. Cheers.

Spaniard_King
13-07-2008, 01:52 PM
every 3 months give the engine a spray with lanolin ... use the thin one not the heavy duty one.. just keep it away from any belts..ie cam belt also do you have a on the "boat" type fuel filter with a see through bowl that you can monitor if you are getting water in your fuel.. would pay to have one and drain any moistre / water that builds up in it.. this can be simply from condensation in the fuel tank.

Outsider1
13-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I assume it is a Tilt and Trim model with forward steering?

I usually apply a smear of marine grease (OMC Triplegard) every 4 to 6 weeks to the steering arm rod and give the steering a twirl to keep it corrosion free.

There are a couple of grease nipples on the motor that should be greased every 3 or 4 months. Again only with Marine Grease.

I like to wash down the motor to remove all salt. Just rinse it with the hose when flushing and perhaps every 4 to 6 weeks give it a wash with a Car wash or the like and a sponge down (I use Truck Wash). This helps to stop any salt build up that can lead to corrosion and also removes any grease or oil marks or stains.

I like to spray the motor itself with a light coat of Lanolin to keep any water and salt instrusion at bay, especially around the plugs etc. I would expect that this also occurs when the motor is serviced (but it often is not). I do it about every 6 months or so.

Check the prop for damage and take it off to check for any fishing line etc and add a smear of grease before re-assembling. Depends on how often you use it, average use every 6 months, high use every 3 months or so. Good to know how to do this in case of emergency,

Hope that helps. If you go onto YouTube and search Boat Maintance and/or Outboard Maintenance there are a mile of videos on the subject.

Cheers

Dave

bushbeachboy
13-07-2008, 03:35 PM
What about de-carboning? Is this done as a part of the annual service?