PDA

View Full Version : Timi's Charters, 11 July

TimiBoy
13-07-2008, 12:03 PM
On a darkling morning, four men, brave and true, rigged a brave little white boat for battle.

The Skipper's ring was hanging out, boding ill for the trip, but the Deckie was smiling, and ready to work. The guests were just utterly bemused at the sort of crap that was flying around - pretty similar to what I'm spouting now, actually!;D;D;D;D

Skipper - Timiboy
Deckie - Squidboy, known in some circles as Wags
Kevvie - "I'm here so we won't catch anything"
Dieter - My B-I-L from Adelaide. A professional artist, and a quietly spoken chap.

We pulled out the driveway at about 8 am, a very Gentlemanly hour indeed. We dropped the boat in the water, and headed out south around Peel, towards the bar. Conditions looked good, but the back of our minds (well, mine anyway, there was no room in Wags' mind for much other than knots and rigs, and the other two just don't have a clue!!!) was that Westerly...

A gentle bar crossing was followed by the utter failure of the first element of our strategy. Livies. They just weren't there. Well, they were - had a sounder full, they just showed no interest. It may have been the wind, all 15-20 knots of it, which made me a little nervous, given we were still close to Moreton, and planning on some deep water fishing.

So, after a last lifting of the two fingered salute at the damned bait schools, we headed for Square Patch, and a feast of fish! An interesting journey, green water over the nose a few times, and the boat damn well near in the air on a couple of occasions. Wags complaining about the ride is becoming a common thing, a familiar drone, if you like. But the salty wet finger in my ear was too Merv Hughes for comfort! I kept a steely watch on him after that, watching for the tongue...

Square Patch was a nightmare! We chucked the parachute, and tried to fish, but I just watched, as there was no chance of getting four lines out there without Wags tangling someone. Nothing doing, couldn't get to the bottom, and the chop a metre plus, about 6 metres apart and the tub pitching and rolling like a, like a, well... you know what I mean. Damn I hate it when I can't think of a good analogy!

We had a quick chat about our next move, and with lifting hearts, we smashed our way back to the 29's and a spot reputed to produce. A few drifts yielded a 38cm squire for the Skipper, and a nice little Moses for Dieter, who was absolutely stoked. A few more drifts only yielded small stuff, but Dieter kept dragging stuff aboard, and loving it. The Guy was on fire, but we soon got sick of it.

We moved to another 29's spot which has produced in the past, but nothing. Things were starting to moderate weatherwise, as we decided to poke around Flatrock (keeping our distance of course). Some fabulous shows, and found an incredible rise, but the only thing on the bite there was the plug, and something rather large that gave Dieter some real excitement for a short while before breaking him off. So, sick of that, we headed South again, towards the Cathedrals, with a couple of marks on the way to check. Pointless they were, too.

So, 4.30 pm, conditions glassed out, two small fish in the box. There was NO WAY we were coming home! Kev rang the Missus to get cars organised differently, I rang mine to keep her informed and let VMR know of our plans changing; Dieter just looked tired. Very, very tired. Poor fellow! Wags was pepped up, ready to fish. We set up the Navnet to take us back to the 42's, and at about 5 pm, flattened it!

Getting dark on the way, turned on the radar, and felt nice and secure. We arrived at the 42's with little light left, and started fishing. So it began...

Among several brickings - all four of us were broken/bitten off, we managed to pull up about ten more squire, and a nice striped Tuna, good bait for Tuesday. I roped in the squire of the day, at 70 cm. We had a casualty though, poor old Dieter was on his last legs - about to berley up, and really stuffed. The Mother instinct kicked in, and I said two more fish, people! I had a hit and a squire double header at around 50 cm each! I had hoped the others would get at least one of the two, but as usual, the Skipper had to show them how it was done...

So that was it. We dialed up the outer mark for the bar, and belted off, the radar keeping us posted on hazards. We did spot what might have been a couple of whales on the screen. Got to the bar, crossed it with eyes shut and praying madly. Pretty scary in the dark, but the boat's up to it, for sure. Kept on the track by the GPS, with the radar showing us the waves either side, fantastic weapon, that radar! Headed for the ramp, and a very relieved team finally got to dry land after a marathon.

We hit the driveway at about 10 pm, Dieter was sent upstairs to bed, Kevvie went home, starting work at 1:15 am, poor bastard, but he was very satisfied, having caught a few keepers. Wags and I cleaned the fish, and wound up at 11:45, filleted and skun, all up about 8kg of fillets plus the tuna. I had dinner, showered, and was in bed by 12:20. STILL TIRED!!!!

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
13-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the day Tim....(again). I can maybe squeeze one more trip in before returning to work.

I do believe I wasn't the only one to use the phrase 'are we there yet?????';D;D;D
I have a lot of respect for the deckies on the charters, especially after my experience as chief deckie aboard Bubi. Constantly tying knots, rigging different rods and keeping all hooks baited ready for the arrival back at the start of the drift. I did however happen to catch a couple of fish myself.
Dieter and Kevin were great company (as was the skipper), and even though the first part of the day was ordinary to say the least a good time was had by all.

We had seen a few pods of whales throughout the day and all were seen along the 29's.

Thanks Tim.

Wags

Fishbait
13-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Awesome photos - beautiful sunset and a nice bag of snapper! Those radars sound great - I went for a fish with "Tassie Snr" a couple of weeks ago who also has a radar on his Fisher Boat - what a top unit they are - they certainly make you feel more comfortable coming home late of night thats for sure. Great report! Cheers, Darren.

revs57
13-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Geeez Tim, I thought you were setting up a parady to the Gilligans Island tune there for a bit. Now that would be creative!

Sounds like a fine trip enjoyed by all except Wags....he's already whinged to me about being the best unpaid deckie in the world!!!!

Some good fish among them all...glad you didn't have to go down the blunt end to show wags how to do it too much this trip

Cheers

Rhys

backlash08
13-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi Tim,
thanks for the report, can you let me know what radar you have, thinking about getting one for my trailer boat getting built now and would like some different views
cheers - Craig

wags on the water
13-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Wags complaining about the ride is becoming a common thing, a familiar drone, if you like.

Wags and I cleaned the fish, and wound up at 11:45, filleted and skun, all up about 8kg of fillets plus the tuna. I had dinner, showered, and was in bed by 12:20. STILL TIRED!!!!

Cheers,

Tim

Geeez Tim, I thought you were setting up a parady to the Gilligans Island tune there for a bit. Now that would be creative!

Sounds like a fine trip enjoyed by all except Wags....he's already whinged to me about being the best unpaid deckie in the world!!!!

Some good fish among them all...glad you didn't have to go down the blunt end to show wags how to do it too much this trip

Cheers

Rhys

Tim, if I wasn't on the boat the trip would be very dull....;D ;D ;D . How about you guys cutting me some slack....or I'll take my bat and ball and go home...:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

reel scream
13-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Great read. Gotta admire your comittment.

Cheers Scott

cptpott
13-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Good on ya Tim,
Nice to see some well written entertaining posts
Cheers
Craig

Captain Seaweed
13-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Nice one Tim....Some good fish there.still looking forward to the overnighter!

Marty

rubba
13-07-2008, 06:02 PM
tim quite entertaining good to see you fellas had a goodtime and got some fish mate regards dale

Skusto
13-07-2008, 07:03 PM
well deserved fish tim one long day

Outsider1
13-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Great report as usual guys. Seems late afternoon and into the evening is the go offshore at the moment. Will be interesting to see if the reports continue to confirm that pattern.

Cheers

Dave

skipalong
14-07-2008, 11:16 AM
good going mate

nowornever
14-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Is that all you caught??? : P

revs57
14-07-2008, 02:27 PM
just wanted to give ya ya 100th thanks ;)

TimiBoy
15-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Folks, the last couple of months, particularly since I met Wags, have been intense, to say the least.

I have tried to have some fun indulging a bit of an interest in writing (which I will continue to do, sorry for boring you all ;D;D;D), and also indulge my penchant for stirring...

I think it important to be serious for a moment, though, and pass on to all of you how valuable that time has been. I have learned more from Wags about fishing than I had thought possible. He has regaled me with many stories (mostly believable) and has shown what a truly great Deckie can do. We wind each other up constantly, but the truth is that he's a hell of a good guy. He works hard as a deckie, always focussed on catching fish, and being ready before we arrive. He is always cleaning on the way home, and offering good advice when fishing.

When the day is over, he'll be there for cleaning boat/fish, and is committed to a quality job, and ready with some $ when all is done.

Thanks all for the opportunity to thank Wags publicly, and Mate, I hope work goes well up North - always a spot for you on Bubi when you come back!

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
16-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Always a pleasure Tim. I said this before ....and I'll say it again that sledging is a part of every sport including this one.

May the best man win.

Cheers,
Wags

TimiBoy
16-07-2008, 04:47 PM
LOL. The best man already won. He just lets you stay in the game for your amusement!

Cheers,

Tim

Vindicator
16-07-2008, 05:40 PM
A good read Tim, no need to be sorry for boring us, its quite entertaining. Keep it up.

Cheers
Kezza