PDA

View Full Version : Tectyl 506

Runamuck
13-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I have just taken charge of my new trailer and also bought a 4ltr drum of tectyl 506. My questions are ...what can i dilute it down with and will a spray gun handle it or maybe even a degrease gun

Cheers

Runamuck

Vitamin Sea
13-07-2008, 11:12 AM
G'day

I have diluted it with turps, no worries.

Don't know how it would go in a gun, should be ok, real sticky stuff though.

Good product, don't be shy with applying it, more is good.

Regards

VS

on-one
13-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I've also diluted it with turps and used a spray gun, seems to work as you can see the mist of tectyl coming out of the other end of the trailer. As vs mentions though it's sticky and a bugger to clean up so best to use an old or cheap gun

GBC
13-07-2008, 11:51 AM
A cheap low pressure pot worked for me, but had to be applied in one go or it waxes up the nozzle pretty quick

Vitamin Sea
13-07-2008, 12:02 PM
PS: make sure that you let the new trailer "age" a bit before you apply, otherwise you may get a reaction with the fresh galvanising.

Cheers

VS

Runamuck
13-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I've also diluted it with turps and used a spray gun, seems to work as you can see the mist of tectyl coming out of the other end of the trailer. As vs mentions though it's sticky and a bugger to clean up so best to use an old or cheap gun
What ratio did you mix it at???

Runamuck
13-07-2008, 01:21 PM
PS: make sure that you let the new trailer "age" a bit before you apply, otherwise you may get a reaction with the fresh galvanising.

Cheers

VS
Mate i find this very interesting... i was thinking of applying this to the trailer before the boat goes on it, now i not so sure.. Have you experienced problems in the past??

Spaniard_King
13-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I caoted my 2.8T trailer with 506 before it hit the water.. 12 montha ago... used 8 litres and diluted it with thiners.. applied it with an driven degreaser gun / pot .. worked a treat as the gun has a long nozzle for shoving into tubes.pipes etc

I thinned it down to 50/50

Vitamin Sea
13-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Mate i find this very interesting... i was thinking of applying this to the trailer before the boat goes on it, now i not so sure.. Have you experienced problems in the past??

No, I didn't personally, however another member here did, Litn'up ( Pete )

He put the Tectyl on straight up, trailer looked older than mine after 6 mths (mine is 5 now )

Send Pete a PM, he will be able to tell you all about it.

Cheers

VS

Runamuck
14-07-2008, 04:03 PM
No, I didn't personally, however another member here did, Litn'up ( Pete )

He put the Tectyl on straight up, trailer looked older than mine after 6 mths (mine is 5 now )

Send Pete a PM, he will be able to tell you all about it.

Cheers

VS
Will do mate!

Runamuck
14-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I caoted my 2.8T trailer with 506 before it hit the water.. 12 montha ago... used 8 litres and diluted it with thiners.. applied it with an driven degreaser gun / pot .. worked a treat as the gun has a long nozzle for shoving into tubes.pipes etc

I thinned it down to 50/50
How is it holding up and do you have any pics??