PDA

View Full Version : PNG bass 'n' barra

PNG1M
12-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Geeeze it was a close call but the trip I'd been planning to the SUKI area of the Fly River almost got cancelled due to airstrip maintenance & July closure (wouldn't read about it, would you).

"Crikey" I was about to say but 'low and behold' the option of Lake Murray suddenly came up. So my trip has been diverted from Suki to Lake Murray which is very much an untapped wilderness of immense potential for us fishos.

You can do a Google Earth search for Lake Murray, Papua New Guinea and when you zoom in on the lake, go to the Sou Sou East corner and you'll see the Herbert River (not labelled) that connects to the Strickland R. Apparently the Herbert is a hotspot of hotspots. I had a few photos sent to me of a few PNG nationals holding up some solid bass & barra using a couple of cast-off Size 1 Stumpjumpers that I gave them some time ago (just as well I have a few more of 'em on standby).

There are several major tributaries that flow into Lake Murray so it'll be a good test to see what it's like & what results we get. We will be the first ever group to stay at this particular lodge we're based at, which is apparently quite no frills.

Anyway, the tackle bags are just about fully loaded with lures (always room for one more...) so we'll see how it goes. Under $3k all up, for an eight day remote area png fishing safari it should be a blast. I'm looking forward to testing out my: Conquest 300 with the Egrell B8-5
Calcutta 400 with the T-curve 6-8kg
Curado DSV 300 with the Loomis GL2 CR-665

My Blacksheep 300 and Penn 965 will also be getting into the action (inter-changeable with the above), as a couple of my part-time fisho mates will be using them during the "get addicted to fishing" experience. I'd much rather see my gear being used & catching fish than keeping the tackle box 'or garage' company. Same goes for lures too...

I GOT CRABS
12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Sounds great mate. Make sure you post up some pics

PNG1M
12-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeh Crabs...I'll try 'n' post some pics if I can figure out the thumbnail process and the rest of it.

See the pic in my signature photo and add about a metre of water, plus an extra couple of kids on the tree stump and about 50 more people lining the creek bank.

Then add me casting to the base of the tree stump and hauling in a nice chunky 6.5kg black bass in front of everyone (they said it was white man's magic).

Anyway, I gave that particular fish to some people on the shore so they could see that it was real, and so they could add it to the dinner plate.

I took the signature snap on my following trip (to Suki) when the water level was down. Anyway, I'll be sure to report on Lake Murray when the time comes...

Dick Pasfield
13-07-2008, 01:27 AM
There's not too much I droll over, those bass, sailfish and bluebone are about it. Sailfish may happen this September, bluebone are about 10 up on me at the moment and got me stumped. Bass, they're a plan, no hurry but it'll happen.

BR65
13-07-2008, 08:27 AM
yup, 2 trips I want to do, extended coral sea and black bass in PNG, dollarwise it sounds a lot cheaper than I expected

be interested to see how the gear holds up mate, Ive got a B8-5 and blacksheep 250 that I thought might cut the mustard for up there
cheers
brian

NAGG
13-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Ahhh , sounds like one of those dream trips ! ....... Hope everything turns out well

Cheers

Nagg

PNG1M
16-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys for your good wishes...

I'm also hoping things go well, both fish wise and health & safety wise. Just in case I hit the local hardware shop & bought me a set of cutters to chuck in the tackle box in case we need to cut the barb off a treble. We'll also have 1st aid kits on standby but I hope they won't be needed (touchwood).

By the way, does anyone know a place on the Gold Coast that does calibration / verification of weighing scales? I've got a set for up to 50lb built into some fish lippers but I need them tested.

Cheers...

Dick Pasfield
16-07-2008, 11:19 PM
What line bs will you be using and what is the range of drag you're looking at?

PNG1M
21-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey Dick,

I've been on half a dozen PNG trips between 2004-06, after barra n bass when I used to live there. After trying a few various lines & breaking strains I settled on 20kg YGK Jigman main line (44 lb rating) and a 50lb or 60lb leader (no more than 60lb so the knots don't get too bulky). I have leader spools of nylon & fluerocarbon that I both use, but to tell you the truth I haven't distinguished any difference in results yet.

I don't usually pre-set drags to exact settings to exact poundage. I usually just make sure its nice & tight but not too tight so as to risk a line snap from a quick take. Just be on the ball ready to tighten as necessary.

I used to use 24kg (52lb) but downgraded as a few other guys up there were using 30lb line as standard. I spooled up recently with new x8 (8 strand) dyneema and boy, is it thin and smooth as. It makes the x4 stuff I was using before feel like gritty rope.

Not long ago, one of the blokes in my fishing club was going for a black bass light tackle record with 6kg line. He hooked a chunky bass around 8kg and played it for 40 minutes (yes, it as a wide & deep section of creek). After landing the fish and a few snaps the fish was released only to be found belly up & real dead half an hour later. The conclusion was that the long struggle stressed the fish and led to its demise. In other words, for the bass its better to haul 'em quick - if you can - than prolongue the battle.

aussiebasser
23-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi PNG1M,

I'm off to Baia on New Britain at the end of August, and I can't wait. My lures and rods have been packed and re-packed a few times. Having watched Harro's old videos for years and talked to him about it for hours, it's a life time dream for me to do it. We're currently being jerked about by airlines changing schedules and missing connections to Hoskins, but I'm sure it will all be sorted by the 22nd, or maybe the 21st now. I've spooled up with 80lb Platypus Braid and 50lb Bionic Braid, with Heavy Knotted Dog leaders and some Penn 10X 80lb. Reels will be Daiwa, Zillion, TDZ Big Bait Special, Blue Backer 200 and 300 and a Black Sheep. Rods include Egrell B8-5, B8-7. B6-5 and a new 12kg prototype, as well as a Smith Ltd, Snakehead rod rated to 120lb, and a Megabass Destroyer with a Daiwa Branzino. I hope I have rrom for a change of undies and a hankie.

darylive
23-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Holy crap! :o

And I look forward to trips to Monduran and Awonga ;D.

My dream is Wiepa etc. good luck old mate! ;) The best the rest can do is dream. ::)

Enjoy what you have 8-) and thanks for sharing; you lucky basard.

I dare say luck has nothing to do with it. We all have choices I chose divorce, well it wasn't really an option; :-/ (you can't trust them bitches) but I have my 4x4, boat and bike and if I had the money i could do what I want :).

aussiebasser
23-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Holy crap! :o

And I look forward to trips to Monduran and Awonga ;D.

My dream is Wiepa etc. good luck old mate! ;) The best the rest can do is dream. ::)

Enjoy what you have 8-) and thanks for sharing; you lucky basard.

I dare say luck has nothing to do with it. We all have choices I chose divorce, well it wasn't really an option; :-/ (you can't trust them bitches) but I have my 4x4, boat and bike and if I had the money i could do what I want :).

Sounds like we made some of the same choices mate!!