PDA

View Full Version : 80's Seafarer Viking

Noiseworks
12-07-2008, 02:02 PM
How does 13k sound for an early 80's model Seafarer Viking with a Yam 100hp 4 stroke (06 model apparently). Boat could do with a good scrub, but seems sound, pod? fitted to the back, and an extra stainless, semi infloor fuel tank has been added. Any opinions?

Cheers
Noiseworks

ifishcq1
12-07-2008, 04:01 PM
If the motor is worth around $9000 or more you are getting a cheap boat and trailer...We had one when they were near new in fnq and because of the distance to anywhere and the isolation it was fitted with twin 40 yam 2st it went very well as a safe fishing rig.. a bit slow with the 40s so a 100 yam4st would be perfect and won't use much fuel either even better than my current 03 100 yam 4st which gets 2.7+ km/ltr

SL

bushbeachboy
12-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Are you able to post up a few pics Noise? We might be able to advise about some things.

Noiseworks
12-07-2008, 07:45 PM
No photos unfortunately. It is for sale up here and went and had a look at it today. Spoke with the guy selling it and he says that he has virtually rewired everything, fitted the extra partial infloor stainless fuel tank (it's 2/3 infloor just to the front of, and in between the driver and passenger seats. Windscreen is pretty crap, bimini is a good style and good nick, stainless grab bar fitted inside windscreen, original infloor tank. I think i called it a pod before, but it's more like an extension/duckboard that has been fitted to the transom. Seems very secure, no give in floor (i'm more than heavy enough to comment). Dual axle Swiftco trailer, with what seems like a longer than normal drawbar. Trailers not the newest but appeared in good condition. Both seats are those fibreglass jobs with cushion on top and drain plug at the bottom. Useable for storage, esky, even live tank when aerator is fitted. The guy selling has gone halves in another boat, 22 footer, with relative and no longer needs it. He knows he has it pretty cheap but is looking for quick turnover. Just wish I could offload my V-sea, the extra room would be great for the kids.

Noiseworks

Dean1
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM
I think thats a great buy, I sold an 84 model with a 97 model 115 2 stroke merc on it for $12500 back in 2000. Go for a run in it first tho, i didnt. I wasnt too impressed with the ride and found it very unstable at rest. They are a safe hardy boat tho. Good luck...

onerabbit
12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I've got the one between VC & Viking, mid 80's Vermont,

make sure the transom & floors dont have any soft spots.

Muzz

Noiseworks
12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks for that Dean1, unfortunately the only boat i have been out in is my current v-sea. I know it's a pretty sad state of affairs but that's the truth. So I haven't got much re..any, other experience with boats, even as a passenger. I have read that the early Vikings were described as a stretched v-sea, here's hoping.

Noiseworks

Dean1
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for that Dean1, unfortunately the only boat i have been out in is my current v-sea. I know it's a pretty sad state of affairs but that's the truth. So I haven't got much re..any, other experience with boats, even as a passenger. I have read that the early Vikings were described as a stretched v-sea, here's hoping.

Noiseworks Mate ive heard that the v sea's are a better boat by quite a few people. Its a cheap boat at that price so you couldnt go wrong if you wanted to onsell it. I didnt like the way they lean on their side while motoring. totally different lean to a cat as people might say cats lean. Go for a run in her and make your mind up. Keep us posted, Deano.

Noelm
13-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I have owned both a Vsea and a Viking, and, I reckon the Vsea is every bit as good (or bad) as a Viking, although very, very popular, they are an OK Boat (my thoughts only here) they are not the be all to end all, not too sure about the "semi" infloor tank thing you are trying to describe, maybe someone has made a tank to fit in the step down section in the front? also not too sure of the "duck Board" thing either, but it may be fine, I guess for what you pay, they are a good Boat, not so flash in the fitout department (read BARE) they did suffer with Floor (if I remember the floor was Masonite) and Transom rot a bit, and I have seen more than a couple of Vikings cracked, but never seen a Vsea split, probably would be a good test with the 4 stroke to stop the Boat, and you and your Mate stand in one corner at the back and see how it floats, probably be OK, as there was a few with twin Motors and 175HP V6 fitted as well.

Runamuck
13-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Noiseworks,

I have a 86 viking with a 115 four stroke on the rear end. She carries 160ltrs of fuel and one of those tanks is a under floor stainless tank. Theses boats are well proven and tough and will go almost were ever you want it to. This boat is a serious offshore fishing vessel and is set up specifically for that purpose.

I wouldn't sell mine less than 20g and have offers quite regular around that price, but atm i am not interested in selling.

Runamuck