PDA

View Full Version : Haines 445 questions- Conversion?

jeffo
12-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Hi all, for years i have wanted a haines 445f (center console). They are as rare as hens teeth and when they do pop up they are pretty costly. There seams to be quite a few 445r's around for sale for a much cheaper price. I am toying with the idea of buying one of these, pulling the windscreen ect out and cutting out the bow anchor section and re glassing it to something more friendly to chasing fish around the bow.

My first question is, are the hulls of all 3 haines 445's (F,C and R) all exactly the same? Same deadrise, free board ect? The floor in the 445r looks to be set a bit higher than the 445f is this the case?

Secondly has any one here done a similar conversion before, if so how hard costly was it? The difference in price between a 445f and a 445r is as much as 10 grand!

Has any one converted a haines into a tiller steer? This is also an option i have considered.

Any other info you think would be worth considering would be great.

Cheers.

mr ed
12-07-2008, 05:45 PM
I've got a haines 146 which is basically the same as a 445 and have considered cutting the windscreen area off and converting it to a side console with casting platform up front. I have seen a write up in a magazine where one of the contributers did this also but cant remember which one it was. It showed some good pics of the steps involved and how to info. The only thing that has stopped me is time. I did find it on the magazines web site in their article archive so if I can find it again I'll let you know.

mr ed
12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I have found the article, hope this works http://www.seamedia.com.au/_tmp/seamedia-fYGfFX.pdf

If you're thinking tiller steer is a sea wasp appropriate, can be hard to come by though.

jeffo
13-07-2008, 06:30 AM
thanks Mr ed. I will have a look through the article. The sea wasp is really a bit small for what i want. The 445 is my ultimate as i can chase bass and barra one day and marlin the next. Got my first billfish from a 445f about 12 years ago and fell in love with them.

pilchardjones
14-07-2008, 10:45 AM
GDay Jeffo,
I have converted a 445R into a side console. There was an article in F & B on it which is probably the one Mr Ed posted a link for, but the link didn't work for me? Anyway it should be on the seamedia website.

It took me a couple of years but it is a very good outcome. The 445's are just a great hull and well worth the conversion. I have just repowered in the last couple of weeks with a 60efi merc 4 str.

My Dad and I have actually done the same to a 17R also, which I guess is more like what you are trying to achieve. I'll post a couple of photos of the 2 projects for inspiration. Good luck.

Steve

pilchardjones
14-07-2008, 10:50 AM
more.........

Noelm
14-07-2008, 11:33 AM
unless you can buy one cheap and you are good with Fibreglass, then I reckon to keep looking for what you want, there is quite a few around.

jeffo
14-07-2008, 03:54 PM
g'day steve, thanks for the photos... i have read both the articles you mentioned. I might need to contact you for help if the project goes ahead.

Noel- finding a 445f for the right price isnt an easy task. Most than i have seen for sle are between 15 and 20 grand with an old motor.

pilchardjones
14-07-2008, 05:09 PM
no worries jeffo
steve

Az
14-07-2008, 05:21 PM
jeffo - I am interested in doing the same thing! What are you like with fibreglass?? You intending on doing most the work yourself?

upstart
14-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey mate, Barry's Marine in Home Hill (NQ) build a 4.5m glass boat which is pretty similar to a haines. Could be worth a look.

champion
14-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Steve

those rigs look just awsome.....

can i ask what they set you back ?

and how long it took ?

cheers
Joe

seaeagle
14-07-2008, 09:38 PM
how much do you guys think a 445f would be worth in reasonable condition with a 60 that is 2 years old. There may be one coming up for sale in the townsville area

jeffo
15-07-2008, 05:39 AM
sea eagle,can you please give me more details via Pm or email? black_marlin_@hotmail.com.

Az- i was hoping to do most of it myself...only thing i wouldnt trust myself with is structural work (transom and stringers ect). i did a few months of fibre glassing years ago at school. We learnt to make plugs moulds, gel coat and laying the glass but my experience is still very little.

jeffo
16-07-2008, 04:05 PM
just a little bump back to the fron page for this thread. ;D

So far ive been contacted by a few people who have been very helpful, hanks to those who have had their input- maybe one more day on page one will get a few more contacts.;D ::)

TJ Bear
24-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Did you go ahead with this project jeffo?

finding_time
24-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Yes he did! here's the thread!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=137109

Ian