PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha vs Evinrude E-tec

Scott Ashe
11-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi all,

I have read with interest the thread regarding the new Evinrude e-tecs (25&30), and would this engine out perform my '07' 25 Yamaha 4 stroke (pushing an allycraft 410 Rhino), and what benefits would there be over my 4 stroke?.

The engine, I would be looking at is long shaft, tiller ster with electric start and power trim and tilt.

Also , what sort of dollars, do you think they may be in comparision to 4 stroke.

Thanks for your thoughts

Cheers
Scott.

STUIE63
11-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Scott it depends what you call outperform I would expect it to get out of the hole quicker use about the same fuel probably be a little noisier but not much
but this is a motor that we haven't seen test reports for yet as for pricing who knows
Stuie

TheRealAndy
11-07-2008, 08:43 AM
There will be so little difference that I doubt you or anyone else here would notice.

Scott nthQld
11-07-2008, 09:52 AM
you'd probably get a bit more speed out of her simply because of weight of a 2str v 4str. Dollars would be similar, with the etec possibly being more exxy, not really worth the change over, stick with the Yammie, at least its been out for a while and you know its reliable.

TheRealAndy
11-07-2008, 02:09 PM
you'd probably get a bit more speed out of her simply because of weight of a 2str v 4str. Dollars would be similar, with the etec possibly being more exxy, not really worth the change over, stick with the Yammie, at least its been out for a while and you know its reliable.

I am not so sure about that. I cant find the specs on the 25hp Etec, but if you were to compare the weight of the 40hp yam 4stroke to 40 etec, you would find the yam comes in lighter. The heavist yam 40 is 96kgs, whilst the lightest etec 40 is 105kg.

Would like to find the official specs on the 25hp etec though. The press release said 142lbs, which is almost 65kg. The heaviest Yam 4 stroke 25 is 72kg, the lightest is 64kg, so once again bugger all difference.

Scott nthQld
11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
wow, didn't realise there was so little difference, though i will admit, I don't go looking for info on Etecs, just not a fan. but being a 2 banger, you would've thought that they would be considerably lighter, but maybe that only occurs in the larger models, like 100hp and up.

With stats like those, I wonder why people would go that way, seems like too much extra outlay for such little benefit, the only benefit I can see is longer periods between servicing, but those who are serious about boating would get it serviced more frequently anyway, so thre goes that slice of pie. I remember when shopping around for my yammie, the Etec's were only new, the sales guy tried to sell me one, and when i saw the price tag I could see why, it was twice the price of the yammie. Its amazing how a company will label a new product as "New Technology" and you see a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon, whether its new and improved or not, you still get a few people buying just because of that "New Technology" tag.

bushbeachboy
11-07-2008, 03:19 PM
If you've already got a 4 stroke motor, and you're happy with it, you'd be mad to pay extra to change it.

Lancair
11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
As far as price goes. When I was shopping around for my new motor, I was offered a used Yam 4 stroke 40hp with tilt n trim, from a Yamah dealer,with the balance of warranty (12 months) for around the same price as the new Etec40. Now 15 months later I have 111hrs on the Etec and its cost me ZERO for req'd servicing. (Ive paid $76 for a major bolt regrease and water pump check-up) It has used about $75 worth of oil and the fuel of course. The yamaha wouldve been maybe 2 services at how much each ? (Not sure on the Yam servicing, every 50hrs I think)

In your case Id stick with what you have. Yamaha do build great engines and the change over cost wouldnt be worth it unless you religiously service your yamaha at a premium dealer and keep it for thousands of hours.

Andrew

death_ship
11-07-2008, 08:40 PM
stick with the good stuff

disorderly
11-07-2008, 09:27 PM
what benefits would there be over my 4 stroke?.

Cheers
Scott.

None that I can see.(besides the 3 year no service period)

Scott

haggis
11-07-2008, 09:43 PM
there is the three year no service period but I for one would like to see how these engines stack up in about five or six years time . I like yammie 4s but have never used another brand of motor but dont have any negative things to say about any other brands . I do like to service my cars at least twice a year whether they need it or not . so waiting three years without a service , checking whether or not you have picked up fishing line & damaged the gear box seal well good luck to the warranty .
cheers haggis

tin can marlin
11-07-2008, 10:08 PM
If you are happy with something i would see no reason to change but each to there own.

BrewGuru
11-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I used sell outboards in a previous life, in the end it came down to Cubic inch and revs, I won't mention brands but we sold several different brands of 75HP one was 49.9 CI and rev at 5800 rpm the other was 70CI and rev at 4500 the later was more reliable and had the least amount of problems in the service department.
The brands we did sell were Johnson, Evinrude, Chrysler and mariner, you work it out! ( if you are gunna query me about sole agencies,The guy and his brother had Merrylands marine, Drummoyne Boating Centre and Monark Marine)

ozbee
12-07-2008, 09:04 AM
etec have been using the same size piston through there range so if this is still so they are limted to there length of stroke which has limitations . i would look at the cc. could be the reason they are so heavy , might be the old 50 two cyc block. if this is the case yes they will be more powerful but who wants a heavy tiller motor for there tinny. it can only be rated 10 % more anyhow which i suppose is alot in small cc but is not worth spending all that money espically if you already have a four stroke owner

Dean1
12-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Stick with what your got mate. Im putting a deposit down today for my 60 yammie 4's. In my opinion 2 strokes are 2 strokes you still have to put oil in them. Etecs are dearer, 4 strokes are getting lighter and more powerful all the time, i wont miss my 2 strokes goodbye 2 stroke oil!! ;D

NormC
13-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I reckon the e-tec 25 and 30 should be great motors. I'm likely to get one once they have been on the market a short while.
I currently run a Yammie 2 stroke. Great motor, but very thirsty (compared to the e-tec or 4 stroke), noisy and not very good for the environment.

I think others have it right. I would not be looking to change from a 4 stroke to the e-tec if you are happy with the 4 stroke. Not enough advantages to make the change.

I was looking to change from the 2 stroke to a 4 stroke when I saw the release from BRP about the pending release of the smaller e-tecs. On the basis of available info, I think it is fair to say that in most respects, there is little between the e-tec and the 4 stroke.

Similar price, similar fuel consumption, etc
The main advantages of the e-tec seem to be:
Weight (in some sizes, not all it seems) - my preferred 4 stroke would have been a Suzuki - Their 30 HP weighs 98 KG, the e-tec weighs (apparantly) 64 KG.
Service interval and cost
Torque- but this is not a big deal in itself, I believe
Portability - no need to drain oil if carrying on side or back (only important if using as roof topper).

So, in my view, no point in changing from a 4 stroke. But if looking to buy a new motor like a 4 stroke, it is worth adding the e-tec to the short list, then decide based on your particular needs.

Norm C

Lil Mako
13-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Scott,
I just recently had a brand new 2008 model E-TEC 40hp fitted to my boat and the performance is quite good considering. I feel let down tho in fact that the E-TEC 40 is the same weight as the 50 & 60 hp E-TECS as its the same motor on he inside just with a lessor engine management module. Less power but the same weight.... So i feel like i'm luggng around a 60 without the 60hp performance if you know what i mean. .The savings in service costs is what got me into an E-TEC
about $650 - $700 dollars over the first 3 years. So i guess i have to cross my fingers and see how it goes. I hope my input helps....

Andy