PDA

View Full Version : What berley??

Dean1
10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi ausfishers! Hey just curious as to what sort of berley do we all use? Not so much berley bombs on the bottom but what we throw into the water whilst floatling etc. Besides from what my crew may expell from an upset stomach ;D I normally use chopped up pillies or chook pellets soaked in fish oil. So when we say 'I berlied up' what are we using? Cheers fisho's ;)

Vindicator
10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah the same, just old chopped up pillies.

Cheers
Kezza

Spaniard_King
10-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Dean,

I use a mixture of mullet, pillies. whiting.sauries, herring,slimies, yakkas and whatever else they throw out from my work which usually equates to about 30-40kgs of this stuff on a daily basis. They keep it all in a freezer and bin whatever is left (after all the workers/fishos take there bit) once a week on bin day :)

Just happened to bring 20kg home tonight for the weeeknd 8-)

No Sorry I cant get you any :)

frankgrimes
10-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Dean,

I use a mixture of mullet, pillies. whiting.sauries, herring,slimies, yakkas and whatever else they throw out from my work which usually equates to about 30-40kgs of this stuff on a daily basis. They keep it all in a freezer and bin whatever is left (after all the workers/fishos take there bit) once a week on bin day :)

Just happened to bring 20kg home tonight for the weeeknd 8-)

No Sorry I cant get you any :)

Lucky bugger!!!

Mick

captain rednut
10-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi I Use R/jays Burley Products Available From Most Major Tackle Shops They Have A Website And This Stuff Realy Works An Awsome Invention And Very Affordable.
Thanks Jim

ronnien
10-07-2008, 08:16 PM
same here too, just mash up some pillies in my hand & throw over the side seems to work fine.

ron.

scungey
10-07-2008, 08:23 PM
an insanely clever burley idea was shared to me by a bloke on the clarence. He pulled what looked like a big long cylinder plug with rope ( like a big soap on a rope) over the side of his boat and tied it up.

Turns out his berley was a frozen mould made of scraps, sawdust, pillies all frozen into a briny mixture. He put it into a mould and then freezes it.

so what happens is when you put it over board it slowly berlies as it melts.

Nico.d.R
10-07-2008, 08:30 PM
we blend up left overs and freeze it in clippy bags and put it in a burley bucket (when we use it).

cheers nico

Lancair
10-07-2008, 08:51 PM
My mate and I mix up berley, pillies, old frames, chook pellets, tuna oil etc and freeze them in empty pot plant pots. Small enough to fit two frozen blocks in a burley bucket.
My berley bucket is a short length of PVC pipe, end cap on one end and a screw on cap on the other with a length of rope tied through one end, just hangs over the side.

trueblue
10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I use a hand mincer and mince up all sorts of stuff together.

old (dead) livies like yakkas and slimies and herring etc
whiting or other fish heads, frames and scales
old refrozen bait (pillies, squid, prawns - anything)
fish skins
anything fishy

then I mix it in a bucket with tuna oil, shell grit, sawdust and crushed up wheatbix

can be used fresh, or alternatively frozen in bricks like the pot plant buckets etc suitably sized to go into a burley bucket.

works really well. Even better if you start cubing with chopped pillies as well as using the minced burley.

cheers

Mick

tenzing
10-07-2008, 11:56 PM
R jays burley sausage. Sometimes I cut in half with a saw. Half now half later sort of thing. I dropped the fancy bucket to the botoom- I always had trouble attaching it to the anchor rope anyway. Now I just drop the sausage in to my fixed burley bucket and leave it alone.
Brendan
PS half a sausage costs $5 and ladtd about 3- 4 hrs. I feel happy with that outlay compared to the mixing and freezing which I had done before