PDA

View Full Version : What oil do you use when cooking?

iricangi
09-07-2008, 04:37 PM
What do you guys cook your meals in on the bbq / pan?

Recently started using sesame oil and it ads a very nice taste to the finished product ;D

Other that that use canola/extra virgin olive oil.

Chimo
09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi I

Certainly use sesame oil but not too much and mainly for flavour.

Why dont you try Rice Bran oil from Woolworths or Aldi. I think you will like it.
Its a very high temperature low smoke oil with a mild taste that will allow the food flavours to come thru. You don't need to use much and for eye fillet steaks etc and food of that quality its the way to go IMHO.

Olive oil will by the way stuffs up steel BBQs and also you cannot get the oil hot enough without it smoking.

Canola is better but if I had a good cheap source of it I put it into the GQ tank instead!

Cheers
Chimo

Vindicator
09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Ever tried avocado oil? It has a high smoke point and doesn't leave you with that awful oily taste. Besides that its quite good for you too.

Cheers
Kezza

ifishcq1
09-07-2008, 08:38 PM
We are lucky because the macadamea farm nextdoor presses their own oil it also has a high smoke point

it is hard to imagine a better tasting oil for seafood although avacado oil is bloody good and both these oils rate even better than extra virgin olive oil

Try them and support the local blokes

SL

sleepygreg
09-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I love extra virgin olive oil, but not for fish or seafood.....too overpowering. Peanut oil is great for flash frying where high temperatures/ wok type cooking is required. For deep frying I use Canola....but go for the better brands...tried home type brands a couple of times and sump oil would have been milder. I will have a go with the macadamia and avocado oils....have never used them but am always open to suggestion.

Sesame oil is very strong and should really be used as an additive to your other oils to give some flavour...it doesnt go well with strong flavoured fish....but does enhance the delicate fleshed fish....just dont overdo it.......great when used when a soy/ginger/wasabi dipping sauce will be used.

Cheers

Greg

cobiaman
09-07-2008, 11:23 PM
wow, i didnt realise there was a difference...

Horse
10-07-2008, 05:47 PM
The old peanut oil works for most shallow fry applications with canola for the deep fryer. I go through loads of sesame oil but mainly for the Asian dishes I do. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is best when not heated too much

tug_tellum
11-07-2008, 08:00 AM
I have a question about Extra Virgin Olive Oil........
Is it true that it is made from Extra Ugly Olives??????????
Mick;);););)

zigfreed
11-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Anyone tried using cottonseed oil? Its quite cheap and healthier than canola for you.

Mick

BrewGuru
11-07-2008, 08:32 PM
A Good quality olive oil works for me

sleepygreg
12-07-2008, 12:39 AM
IMO olive oil should never be used in seafood recipes as it is extremely strong in flavour.....unless you are using an italian recipe with occy and squid, or one of the stronger flavoured fish like salmon or an oily fleshed fish

Greg

Ausfish
12-07-2008, 08:09 AM
I use Macadamia Oil, great flavour. It is pretty cheap too as I buy it in 20l drums. It is also one of the best oils to massage with as it is good for the skin and doesn't leave clients feeling sticky or oily.

cqfreshie
12-07-2008, 11:04 PM
I ran out of canola once and tried grapeseed oil that was in the pantry ... not bad at all for a shallow fry.

PNG1M
17-01-2009, 02:53 AM
I bought a deep fryer a few months back. In the manual it recommended using good quality 'corn oil'. So I've been using corn oil lately for the deep fryer and also for shallow frying in the fry pan. It seems to be working all right. I've cooked chunky fish fillets, bite size fish cocktails, fish fingers, calamari rings, prawns and they've all turned out well using the corn oil. I dunno what its 'smoke point' is.

In the manual also said to never mix different kinds of oil together but it didn't say why...

squizzytaylor
17-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Good quality cold pressed extra virgin olive oil wont over power fish and seafood, the cheaper ones will though, I regularly use a lemon infused olive oil and it lends itself very well to white fillets and cutlets. Cottonseed oil is great stuff too, no flavour as such to speak of and a very clean shallow or deep frying oil with zero cholestrol content.

Geoff

Chimo
17-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Rice Bran oil, very high smoke point.

Chimo

Swamp
17-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Yes, but just watch olive oil in your good non stick pans, it will buggar up the surface after a while, it leaves a residue whih isn't so non stick

Bill

Chimo
17-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Also olive oil is not good on cast BBQs or so BBQs Galore told me when I replaced it with a teflon coated SS plate and ditto for the grills.

C

sleepygreg
18-01-2009, 12:44 AM
I disagree about good quality first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil not having a strong flavour......It does...and I love the flavour it has, and use it quite liberally in a lot of the cooking I do. But I do not use it with delicate flavoured white fleshed fish as I think it overpowers the fish. I would rather use a light oil such as peanut oil, or a neutral oil like canola, with a couple of drops of sesame oil..to allow the flavour of the fish to come through. I have yet to find a 'house brand oil' that stacks up to the top quality brands.

Greg

Sailfisher
31-01-2009, 05:50 PM
I used to use oilive oil, but now use rice bran oil all the time

Volvo
02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Hope i dont upset anybody but Olive Oil is not meant to be used in fry pans or barbi plates..Its mainly used in Salads or cooking as its a good product consumable oil if that may be the best way to describe it..
Rice Oil or whatever frying oils turn you on but you only destroy a good Olive Oil by using it in a frypan or barbi Plate..
Still folks in Uerpean Countries who dip their bread in Olive oil and chew on it, n said to be so good for one??..
Cheers