PDA

View Full Version : Currumbin Bar finally getting dredged?

iricangi
09-07-2008, 02:49 PM
This morning a few semis arrived down @ the park near throwers bridge and they unloaded a dredge and it's small little tug.

Hopefully they dredge the bloody bar and not the actual creek like they did last time.

I hope it's a dredger or ima look like 1 big stupid fool ;D
:-/

Leighton
09-07-2008, 02:52 PM
that would be good, do many use that bar?
Do you still have to hug the North wall and head out N/E

iricangi
09-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Yea it's kinda dodgey if you don't go out on hightide and even then its bad, you have to hug the groin to get around it without hitting the sandbar.

Then if you can make it over the sandbar go NE.

It's hard to explain but since christmas it has changed so much and each month have had to try a new route, to beat the sand.

Got caught in a 4ft set a tiny bit back and was stuck on a 200 metre long sandbar, wasn't fun at all.

Lancair
09-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I was under the impression the last dredging work done was for flood prevention. By making the creek deeper more water could fit in before it flooded further upstream.

You'd think by making the bar deeper, more water would get out and stop flooding too.
Let's hope you're right iricangi. I did a lot of sailing from currumbin as a young fella and it was shallow back then too.

Andrew

Heath
09-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry to say, but the dredge will not go past the rockwall.
IMO it was the dredging last year that caused the problem. It dumped god knows how many hundreds of tons of sand into the nice little gutter that was there last year, totally stuffing it. The bar as you see it now is a direct result of that I reckon. NOw if only they used their brains & had the dredge outlet to the north of the 11th Ave groin.....

iricangi
09-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Ah the big dutch dredger going back and forth from burleigh to down south?

Or was that in 06, this sandbar is getting so stupid it's not funny

Heath
09-07-2008, 04:19 PM
The Port Frederick is working the Tweed Bar atm.

Spaniard_King
09-07-2008, 07:22 PM
ahhh whats wrong with it... I like it like it is.. keeps the trafic down :)

dreemon
09-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Has anyone got any info if they'll dredge Tally bar? they both need work but I like tally only cause I know it better than currmbn.........

iricangi
09-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Currumbin is my favourite bar, and is easy to go out with knowledge, but i'd still like it dredged the safety factor isnt there if a freak set comes as your pottering over the bank @ low tide.

My thoughts anyway

FISHAWN
01-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Looks as tho it back again, some heavy machinery sitting in the little bay SW off the rock wall? Hope so, have seen it unpassable on some of the bigger low tides of late.

Hagar
02-10-2011, 04:38 AM
It's gonna make mackeral season challenging if it stays like it is that's for sure . Unless you own a jetski .

Chris

business class
02-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Heath is spot on, Last years dredgeing of currumbin ruined it. They cant dredge deep enough along the north rockwall due to the rocks not far below the sand there and unless some common sense prevails and pump the sand elsewhere it will never be fixed. As for dredgeing tally bar they wont do it as that bar is insane at the best of times as when there is a big SE swell you dont see whats coming till ur around the groin and then its too late so ya can have that to your self LOL....

samson
02-10-2011, 09:13 AM
i say fill the bar in it might keep the shamatures from topping up their doll cheques everyday for 3 months then they'll have to go to tweed where fisheries laws are actually policed.

Spaniard_King
02-10-2011, 10:31 AM
i say fill the bar in it might keep the shamatures from topping up their doll cheques everyday for 3 months then they'll have to go to tweed where fisheries laws are actually policed.

That will just force everyone out thru Tally or Seaway, don't think anyone will buy a NSW licence to fish Palmy :)

samson
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
i suppose your right gazz if shamatures had to buy a licence that might cut into their profit margin and they might have to get real jobs.

robvee
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Last weekend mate & I had to jump ship & pull my 4.5mtr Brooker + 40hp across the sand in order to come back in, and that was 90min before low.
A small tinnie with 4hp on the back (not a typo .... 4hp!!!) was the only boat that could make it back in without having to get out and pull. We had a chuckle at him on the reef - trolling lures with the 4hp at full throttle, and probably just making 6knots :-) But he got back to the ramp before us and had the last laugh !!
We could only do it because waves were non-existant last week .... it'd be too dangerous if a swelll was running across that sand bar now.
Talle creek has had a dredger in it for 4 months now, and still as silted up as ever .... dredging is only a short-term solution, but its all we gonna get at the moment, so I'll take it.

goat boy
13-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Just heard on the radio news that despite the wishes of Main Roads, Fisheries and VMR, Currumbin bar won't be dredged?...

business class
13-10-2011, 12:56 PM
That will make mackrel season interesting if thats the case! HOWEVER lol the dredge is in there at the moment and they will be starting very soon im told. what you may have hurd is that Currumbin bar wont be dredged past the groin, which everyone knows that will never happen anyway. If they didnt dredge it least the boat numbers would be quartered from 200 to 50 lol

Willo
13-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Well once they finishing dredging to the end of the Wall ...Ya still got this to navigate....LOL.. and the bar continues on towards Palmy a far way as well
Willo

nick-o83
14-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Hey Matty,
The other week me and mitch couldnt get in at all after launching from currumbin.. had to drive down to tweed and get a lift up to currumbin to get the car and trailer haha. Neither currumbin or Tally were an option.........

business class
14-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Hey Matty,
The other week me and mitch couldnt get in at all after launching from currumbin.. had to drive down to tweed and get a lift up to currumbin to get the car and trailer haha. Neither currumbin or Tally were an option.........

Im not even gonna try to get across till a few boats dig us a channel lol. looks like tweed it is :)

business class
14-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Well once they finishing dredging to the end of the Wall ...Ya still got this to navigate....LOL.. and the bar continues on towards Palmy a far way as well
Willo

Ya should see the size of the rock just under the water near the beach in the channel ya have to follow too willo. Its a prop eater for sure!

Jono_SS
15-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Well once they finishing dredging to the end of the Wall ...Ya still got this to navigate....LOL..

easy as...