PDA

View Full Version : motor trim angles

mlaagtho
09-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi
I have a Kevlacat 2400 with counter rotating F140 Suzuki's and when on the plane the motor are trimmed differently
The port runs at about 76% and the starboard runs at 38% to keep the boat level
Is this normal
Thanks
Mike

Noelm
09-07-2008, 01:34 PM
could be! do the Motors look very different? maybe the gauges are not reading the same, but the Motors could be, also, depending on wind, you will need very different trim settings as well.

mlaagtho
09-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes you can see the difference
Most of the time the motors run at these trims
I set them before I get going and the boat pretty much runs level
The trim angles get closer as the boat increases speed .At full throttle I am running 76 and 50 %

freddofrog
09-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Silly question but are both motors setup the same, ie height & props?
Also at rest is she sitting level to start of with?

My 5.2KC runs at quite different angles to conteract waves and wind though not exactly sure how different as the trim indicator is too unreliable!

For a while it was also slightly pissed and I'd always put it down to one side had both the tool box and second anchor. When I got bothered enough about it and looked into it I discovered water in the inspection ports and pod.

If you can manage to get on a perfect day with no wind or waves (local river somewhere?) and they still run at different angles at least you can rule out wind and waves and start to look at motor/hull differences.

ff

mlaagtho
11-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Have checked all of the sealed compartaments and the pods , no water, as i said thisis normally how it runs

FNQCairns
11-07-2008, 11:09 AM
The obvious reason would be mass produce variance in the hull. There may be a minor twist/lack of symmetry in it somewhere, happens all the time to mono's when they are pulled green to get the mould free for the next job, although on a mono it may never be noticed at our fishing rig speeds and weights.

People do blueprint hulls on fast boats to ensure uniformity, I guess working this direction might yield an answer if only to discount it and allow a move onto easier remedies.

cheers

trueblue
11-07-2008, 12:29 PM
check and calibrate the trim sensor - check them because it is common for them to go out of sync

Finnatical
11-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Mike,

KC 2400's are very senstive to weight distribution when at cruising speeds. If I have too much weight on one side it does exactly what you are talking about. I just make sure any load is fairly evenly distributed and then just fine tune the trim to suit the conditions. I found that the weight of the water tank, toilet holding tank etc can change the trim depending how full they are.

Good luck mate,
Jason

Angla
11-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Weight distribution could do this I think. Which side of the boat do you think would be heavier, ie steering gear, wiring and fuse setup, gps,fishfinder, motor controls. I am thinking toe starboard side of the vessel may be heavier due to all these small differences and that may cause the starboard hul to be deeper in the water and therefore have more friction. You may be able to counteract this by weighting a good esky and ice on the port side near the stern.
What are your thoughts to this line of thinking. It would not take too much trouble to test it.

Chris