PDA

View Full Version : brought pressure washer with sand blaster

SNARKER73
08-07-2008, 08:29 PM
My question is how do you use it no in structions? do you wet the sand if so how wet?

ozscott
08-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I have a water blaster - it blasts sand straight out between the pavers...so is it a sand blaster aswell?

Sorry mate - cant help you.

Cheers

cormorant
08-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Usually work with dry sand being drawn via venturi effect up a hose and introduced into the flow of water at the tip of the lance. Very effective to keep dust down.

Bigger fancy ones have air pressure pots for sand to ensure longer distnce supply to lance.

How many literes does your pressure washer punch through and at what pressure? I haven't seen many sand ones being used on washers under about 20 l / m and high pressures.

Got a photo or a brand name as I would like a cheapo ? What did yours cost?

Thanks

tin can marlin
08-07-2008, 09:05 PM
go back to the shop you got it from they shold have showed you how to use it when you picked it up.

SNARKER73
08-07-2008, 09:17 PM
reply got it off ebay about $120
can't take bake and ask for instructions
don't know brand let you know how it goes

Greg P
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Dont know if yours is the same - but way back when I was a 1st year Diesel Fitter I got to spend 2 months sandblasting SEQEB loaders prior to overhaul. The Spitwater we had used the venturi effect to pick the sand up out of a bucket (dry) with a seperate spear. We did not use sand it was more a grit type of substance that we bought by the pallet in 20kg packets.

I hated that job - took a month to get the sand out of my hair

cormorant
09-07-2008, 11:29 AM
If you bought it in the last 3 months give us the ebay listing number and from the photos you'll soon get an answer as someone will recognise it.

Just had a quick look on ebay and couldn't see one for sale??

SNARKER73
09-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Item number: 370064997775 that's the number for the kit the blaster is in
Item number: 280241392736 is the pressure cleaner

cormorant
09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Cheers thanks for that.

All the ones I have had anything to do with have been units with high pressures and volumes of 20 plus litres.

That unit at 7.5l might struggle to ge enough sand into the water stream via the venturi but I guess it was designed for smaller machines.

Use dry sand in a bucket and place spike in and put venturi nozzle on pressure washer and let us know how it goes on a bit of painted steel or something.

Be interested if it works and how well.

Thanks

SNARKER73
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
ok will do mate

Roughasguts
10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Interesting haven't seen one of those gadgets yet.

But If the water pressure is high enough you won't need sand, bit confused as to why you would need sand or grit as 1850 psi would just destroy the sand and make it dust. Hell 100 Psi in my little sand blaster with air pushing it turns sand to dust quick enough. But not much chance of silicosis with wet sand, that's as bad as Asbestos, maybe that's the reason behind it.

You can get water pressure to cut 2 inch thick steel, but you will need around 32 HP to run the water pump first there ain't no sand in that, just water.

Or you could run soda and water in your HP cleaner that does a great job of cleaning concrete but seems to change it's colour for ever, to a lime wash look.
But that's a lot of work and labour involved as well.

cormorant
10-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Sand is denser than water and has a smaller more concentrated impact area - ie more momentum and focused hit point and like air sand blasting you can use different grit , weight and hardness and not have the dust of sand or the possible poisioning from the substrate you are stripping. .

It cuts paint and scale off faster than water or sand alone and can be used to get different textures. Can be used at lower pressure so it won't delaminate different materials.

Not sure how much punch this unit will have so interested to hear the results

arvor
10-07-2008, 07:27 PM
sorry to get a little off track. but you blokes with the knowledge of pressure washers could i make up a soda blast for say $500 or less or is that a special bit of gear?thanks gary.

cormorant
11-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I don't see nay difference between a soda blast machine and a dry sand blast machine except the nozzles / venturi however I see the soda setups in eprey at expensive prices?? Possibley as the soda seems to need a pressure pot for delivery? Unless a specific jb is in mind what is wrong with sand , grit at the right pressure and size? Soda has advantages when used near soft materials as it can be less aggressive and also it doesn't leave grit in areas you don't want as it is water soluable in theory but the blast debri still gets in all the spots sand would.

Sorry can't help much