PDA

View Full Version : Cracking Quintrex

duncan dysart
08-07-2008, 05:32 PM
I have a quintrex 570 and while it handles great I dont think I should have been sold it for NZ sea conditions as it just continues to crack in the hull.After just over 3 years I realised the water I was letting out after a trip wasnt normal and found 3 large cracks in the hull and on taking up the floor found over 6 broken or cracked welds of hull to trusses which naturally was causing flexing
Unfortunately Quintrex only gave 2year guarantee but they did decide to fix it
Strangely they had parts in stock to fly over which could have only been there for this problem or be standard in later models because of the problem
They out them in and welded the cracks which leaked first trip so got them done again and was given a 6 month guarantee but it cracked in a new place after 4 months and I have been told that must be my fault
They are very light inside and have no lengthwise bracing and I believe are unsafe for sea use
Has anyone in Australia that regularly use a Quintrex 570 or similar size had problems . I could have got a cheaper NZ boat with a lifetime guarantee on the hull so do think I have been conned .I would appreciate any feedback
Duncan

View a sample pic below or a range of photos with comments at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/slamdunc40/CracksInQuintrex570
http://picasaweb.google.com/slamdunc40/CracksInQuintrex570/photo#5221956686871697410

ifishcq1
08-07-2008, 06:41 PM
DD

Can't say about ripped off or not but in CQ we seem to have troubles with some quintrex, stessco, stacer and other big pressed boats and quinny is not near the worst.. all their estuary and bay boats are good

SL

Alchemy
08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Duncan,

I had a 600 Offshore from new, a 2001 model. After 3.5 years I found approx 12 broken welds, cracked ribs and bulkheads ripped away from welds. To Quintrex's credit they repaired the boat as if it were still under warranty, but I wasn't going to take a second chance and sold the boat immediately.

From my experience, they are not built to take the pounding a hull gets when running in bumpy conditions.

Good luck.

Regards,
Dave.

KGW3
09-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I think Quintrex, Stacer and the like do not make good boats.. I owned a new one but recently sold it. It was starting to corrode on the top painted deck afer just a few years... I had an old 1980 Fibreglass boat before that and the hull was still like new. For offshore, and over 5 metres, go Glass, Plate or Stabicraft.. Pressed boats are for the family to play "Look at moy" in the calm water.
Fair Dinkum.. Imagine your new Commodore with cracks appearing in the subframe afer a few years... Telwater seem to have that Queensland "Layback" attitude and make sub standard boats.
Did you know that the word "Quintrex" comes from the Latin term Leakyboat ?:o

disorderly
09-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Doesn't sound good Duncan (or safe)..

Maybe you could upgrade as I have heard that telwater has now fixed the problem as the new model Quintrex comes with a built in welder as standard equipment.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

ozscott
09-07-2008, 09:03 AM
:) - that beautiful....a welder...im still pissing myself :)

Bros
09-07-2008, 09:08 AM
I think Quintrex, Stacer and the like do not make good boats.
:o
Well that may be true now but he older Quintrex's before Stessel bought them out were heavy and tough.
Seems they are all trying to build the cheapest boat.

finding_time
09-07-2008, 06:07 PM
i have a quinny and i sold a glass boat (sf17 southwind) as the build and ride was far better in the quinny

I'm sending this off to Myth Busters!!! I'm sorry to doubt you but there is no way in hell that a quinnie will outride a sf17 and as for build quality:o Never seen a report of a cracked southwind!!!;)

Ian

Ps
Ducan

Atleast the motor hasn't fallen off yet;)

.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=134193

All pressed alloy boats flex!! When you have flex you get cracks!! All pressed alloy boats crack , offshore use just speeds this up!!

bushbeachboy
09-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Buy a poly. You won't have any cracking problems ever. No corrosion ever. Smooth ride, quiet on the water, very stable etc etc.

disorderly
09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm sending this off to Myth Busters!!! I'm sorry to doubt you but there is no way in hell that a quinnie will outride a sf17 and as for build quality:o Never seen a report of a cracked southwind!!!;)

Ian

No need to send it to mythbusters,Ian...
It doesn't take a genius to see that gummy buster is talking crap and obviously just trying to justify selling his glass boat and buying a quinny.

So really....myth busted http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif.

disorderly
09-07-2008, 07:02 PM
what the hell would you know????

i had both the southwind and quinny at the same time and sold the southwind after a year of haveing the quinny and the quinny was doing everything the southwind was and then some and was doing it better

maybe you should get your facts right before posting rubbish::)

Sorry bloke ,I fish out pretty wide but if apparently ,like you, I fished within 5 minutes of the boat ramp than my stacer would be as good as a glass boat,but in reality it doesn't come close.

For me the pressed alloy 5.25 tinny will do until we get a pontoon locally so I can launch a glass boat by myself and then my back will thank me a thousand times over( and yes...I have had plenty of 100-200km round trips in quinny's also(including the legendary millenium hull).

I do,however agree about your statement that there are plenty of 30 year old tinny's going strong....I also know of many.
I don't believe however that the build quality,committment to quality and customer service or the purity of the recycled alloys used these days are near as good as those old boats that are still going strong.

It's just a ridiculous statement to say that a pressed tinny will offer a better ride and build quality than an equivalent glass boat.

Call me in 6 months and I will come and weld it up for you.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

banshee
09-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Quintrex are a shit boat full stop,I got a brand new unused/unregistered 395 Explorer Trophy for 7k (unwanted prize) and I still feel I got ripped off,it is just the sadest piece of workmanship (for want of a better phrase) that I have ever come across.It nearly sank on it's first outing due to unfinished welds along the keel,if you stand on the floor with wet feet brown stains emerge and the soles of your feet turn chocalate brown,all in all a very dissappointing aquisition.
Anyone who has an ocean going pressed alloy hull is going to experience cracking at some stage,it's just the nature of the beast.
Gummy.......if your tinnie is over 6.5m it may ride as good as the Southwind,but if it's under a metre longer then I just can't see it.

black runner
09-07-2008, 08:22 PM
It's just a matter of horses for courses. If you are going to be in conditions or you dive in a way that regularly bashes the crap out of the boat then you buy a boat for the job. There are also glass boats/yachts that are not built as blue water vessels which flex, crack and break also. Cruising Yacht vs harbour racer.

Heavy conditions go a platey or back off and drive sensibly in a lighter craft.

There's is no excuse these days for not going into a purchase well informed and selecting a boat fit for purpose.

BM
09-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Tinny riding better than a glass boat!!!!! :o :o With its shallow vee and low hull weight???:o :o

I'd like to see that! I reckon it might occur about the same time that hell freezes over.......:P

Alchemy
09-07-2008, 11:03 PM
i have a quinny and i sold a glass boat (sf17 southwind) as the build and ride was far better in the quinny

Geez, the SF17 must be a really crap boat!

james1
09-07-2008, 11:23 PM
You can add me to the cracked Qunnie list. 560 legend cracked along the keel, went back to qunitrex and had a full plate bottom put in in place of the pressed one and was a great boat for another 7 years. Only just sold it and still going strong.

BOMBIE
10-07-2008, 12:00 AM
FELLAS ,the small boat industry in QLD/maritime safety QLD /dpi & waterpolice do not give two hoots who makes what & and how well, YOU have to have a road registered vehicle to tow your road reg trailer & big enough towing vehicle to tow both boat & trailer to your ramp and then put the" whatever "in the water .with whoever is in it as long as you are THE skipper & have adiquite safety gear onone cares what sort of "boat" gets wet .. i should know as these are the answers we have been given by all for the last 3+ years after our battle with one of so called "PRESSED BOAT builders in QLD fell apart after a short period and with no ownice/liability on the "manufactor" . please just contact one of the prevously mentioned and see what happens ??? and good luck BOMBIE

2manylures
10-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Tinny riding better than a glass boat!!!!! :o :o With its shallow vee and low hull weight???:o :o

I'd like to see that! I reckon it might occur about the same time that hell freezes over.......:P

:o :o Although off the topic I take it you've never been in a Webster Twinfisher?:o :o

Blackened
10-07-2008, 07:00 AM
:o :o Although off the topic I take it you've never been in a Webster Twinfisher?:o :o

G'day

And I suppose you missed the reference to quintrex in this thread and the bit about shallow V, which rules anything other than mono out?

Dave

pedrodepacus
10-07-2008, 08:31 AM
unfortunatly i have seen alot of so called ex boat builders from quintrex that were in positions on the piece rate production line that could not weld to save there life and as any real welder will tell you that a thin little line of weld that sits on top of the material may look good but is really not going to hold up if it has any kind of load or stress applied to it . unfotunatly paint covers a thousand sins

ozscott
10-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I reckon Bombie is on the money. My bro in law and me once made 2 little fast boats - ply and Sikaflex and some stainless screws - about 7 foot long and 3 wide with forward steering and throttle (but drive engaged by leaning behind you) and 25s on the back - very light and very fast little boats. We went into the Dept Transport and Spring Hill in Qld and registered them and they didnt bat an eyelid, didnt view them and were fine with "homemade" as the manufacturer - we could have had 60s on the back and they wouldnt have cared. We trailererd them down to teh Georges River in NSW one year and had fun with some ski boats...racing them...lots of people came up to have a chat about them including the local law officers who checked the rego labels and our licences and thought they were great (they were actually pretty well built)...but it goes to show that its a vastly different world on the water compared to on the bitumen.

Cheers

Stuart
10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I find this very amusing; I mean the government has strict standards when it comes to on road vehicles. If a fault is found the whole line has to be recalled. Now the boat industry has next to nothing when it comes to standards. What I find the most amusing is you can start up a company as a boat builder with no previous experience in the industry. You could be a dentist yesterday and today an alloy boat builder. I think the whole industry is a farce; you can’t get a job in most industries if you’re not a tradesman yet you can be boat builder with many people putting their lives in your hands. Most boat builders don’t even know how to loft a boat, today a pre-cut boat turns up on the floor and you simply weld it up.

We almost sunk a Quintrex due to bad welds, split along the keel in the bow. Most mass produced boats these days are beyond a joke, I mean just take a look at the quality at the next boat show.

Stu

Braddles
10-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I have a quintrex 570 and while it handles great I dont think I should have been sold it for NZ sea conditions as it just continues to crack in the hull.After just over 3 years I realised the water I was letting out after a trip wasnt normal and found 3 large cracks in the hull and on taking up the floor found over 6 broken or cracked welds of hull to trusses which naturally was causing flexing
Strangely they had parts in stock to fly over which could have only been there for this problem or be standard in later models because of the problem
They out them in and welded the cracks which leaked first trip so got them done again and was given a 6 month guarantee but it cracked in a new place after 4 months and I have been told that must be my fault
They are very light inside and have no lengthwise bracing and I believe are unsafe for sea use
Has anyone in Australia that regularly use a Quintrex 570 or similar size had problems . I could have got a cheaper NZ boat with a lifetime guarantee on the hull so do think I have been conned .I would appreciate any feedback
Duncan

Hey Mate;

SOrry to hear your story.

Thats an absolute disgrace.

A quintrex 570 is not a boat to sneeze at - they cost a pretty penny and are promoted as a sea worthy vessel.

As for the 2 year structural warranty.... That in itself is a bit inadequate I believe when you are paying those sort of dollars.

In this instance, they initially made the wise decision and repaired the boat through good will.

Now they are saying they wash their hands? That it is your doing?

I would make sure you document everything in writing, and keep a copy yourself. Draft a letter explaining your problems. Keep it very objective and free of subjective inuendo. Conclude by stating you want the boat fixed, or replaced.

Make it known that failing to come to this resolution in a reasonable time frame, (you should give them a time frame of 14 days to respond with a resolution), you will refer the matter to the Queensland Government's Office of fair trading.

I would also remind them also in your letter you draft that you are a voice to thousands of fisherman, and I for one would shy away from a boat company that would not fix a structural fault on a boat I had paid 40-50 000 dollars for!

let us knwo the result

Regards,

Brad.

Braddles
10-07-2008, 01:05 PM
i know alot of people that have quinnys and some that go out in worst conditions than more people would go out in and they have never had a problem

maybe telewater might be right and it could be something you are doing that makes it worst

A quinny better than a Southwind SF17?

Were you riding on the anchor cleat of the sf17?

Southwind boats are renouned for their build quality and ride!

Scott nthQld
10-07-2008, 01:52 PM
It is a shame for that to happen, cracked welds and a leaky boat after only 3 yrs.

I myself have a '92 model quinny, and I can honestly say that even looking at the new quinnies around today, build quality has significantly dropped. I'm not say mine is a better ride, or more stable, in fact the opposite would be true, but after 16 years of trouble free boating, why would I complain about it. The only thing I've done to the boat in that time was replace the ply floor and that was only a couple of months ago.

The boat was originally bought to service lakes, rivers and bays, but has been in some pretty heavy seas off Wollongong, as well as some heavy stuff of Townsville (i Know, not much to compare, but Townsville water is all short, sharp chop and a much rougher ride because of it). In the boat 16 years, the only time we've had water in the bootom was when we've either copped a nice wave over the front (happened twice on the same trip, very scarey), left the bungs out or spilt bucket(s) of watr inside the boat.

When I replaced the floor, I checked out all the welds, and not one appeared deteriorated at all. Now that I do frequently venture out of the estuaries (more often than not now, its been nearly 12 months since I went fishing in a creek) I am looking at getting a plate or glass boat so I can go wider and get a smoother ride, and something I would appreciate much more, something more stavble at rest, those that have been fishing with me will testify that I have shocking balance, nearly going ass up on completely calm days.

My advice would be (though a bit late now) is get the boat fixed, sell, cringe and abuse yourself over the losses and get something more suited to your needs, be it plate or glass, I would avoid pressed boats in frequent heavy sea usage as they're just not made how they used to be.

FNQCairns
10-07-2008, 02:06 PM
iread somewhere that a certain tinny company that sold to the US AND had a 5 year warranty to make it work has now pulled out altogether....wonder what the reason actually was............

cheers fnq

3rd degree
10-07-2008, 02:13 PM
I too have a cracked one.

It has cracked 4 or 5 times now and I've had enough, and am wondering what to do with it, as I wouldn't sell it to anyone.

When I told Quintrex initially they told me it was my fault, and then after detailing the care I take of my boat they told me that it must have been that way when I bought it?

At the end of the day they couldn't accept that it was a fault with the boat and insisted that it was something I did.

I wouldn't and couldn't ever reccomend their product.

Cheers

Jim

For Steve
10-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I've had a cracked one too. Hull to transom weld. As mentioned earlier - paint covers poor workmanship.

Trent Butler
10-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm not going to enter into this debate to discuss Quintrex's build quality (or lack of), one issue I would like to raise is regarding Quintrex's ongoing promotion of "positive flotation". Has any one else seen the articles and images of a Quinnie filled to gunnels with water and five blokes standing knee deep in the hull with a big statement across the page "setting the industry standard for positive flotation"?

The problem I have is that the boat is 2 feet away from a marina finger in totally protected water without one inch of swell or water movement. Who the hell ever needs positive flotation inside a marina 10km from the nearest bar entrance. In my opinion they are achieving flawed results and should test a boat in a real life offshore situation with a decent swell running and see how much "positive flotation" they can achieve then. I know I could have done with a positively floated boat a few years ago in the South Passage Bar.

Cheers

Trent

dagsje
10-07-2008, 04:19 PM
most of you blokes are probably right a plate or glass boat is a softer ride but iv,e got a near 30 year old quinny 4.5 lazeabout that,s still going strong

pirate2540
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
i had a quinnie cruiseabout for 14 years and was considering buying a new coast runner, but not after reading this. thanks

Jabba_
10-07-2008, 06:42 PM
i had a quinnie cruiseabout for 14 years and was considering buying a new coast runner, but not after reading this. thanks
Stick with your old Quinny, it would be a better built boat then what is comming out off Telwater these days...

Jabba_
10-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm not going to enter into this debate to discuss Quintrex's build quality (or lack of), one issue I would like to raise is regarding Quintrex's ongoing promotion of "positive flotation". Has any one else seen the articles and images of a Quinnie filled to gunnels with water and five blokes standing knee deep in the hull with a big statement across the page "setting the industry standard for positive flotation"?

The problem I have is that the boat is 2 feet away from a marina finger in totally protected water without one inch of swell or water movement. Who the hell ever needs positive flotation inside a marina 10km from the nearest bar entrance. In my opinion they are achieving flawed results and should test a boat in a real life offshore situation with a decent swell running and see how much "positive flotation" they can achieve then. I know I could have done with a positively floated boat a few years ago in the South Passage Bar.

Cheers

Trent
They actual do, do these test on the open water, and I will congratulate Quintrex for doing a fine job introducing Positive floatation into the boats.. but welds and choice off aluminum quality are letting a potentially top product turn to shit..
How do I know... I use to own one 10 years ago (top tinnie back then)... And I have a friend that works in management there....
So what getting done to rectifie these problems... Well not a lot, as they don't believe they have a problem....

duncan dysart
10-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey Mate;

SOrry to hear your story.

Thats an absolute disgrace.

A quintrex 570 is not a boat to sneeze at - they cost a pretty penny and are promoted as a sea worthy vessel.

As for the 2 year structural warranty.... That in itself is a bit inadequate I believe when you are paying those sort of dollars.

In this instance, they initially made the wise decision and repaired the boat through good will.

Now they are saying they wash their hands? That it is your doing?

I would make sure you document everything in writing, and keep a copy yourself. Draft a letter explaining your problems. Keep it very objective and free of subjective inuendo. Conclude by stating you want the boat fixed, or replaced.

Make it known that failing to come to this resolution in a reasonable time frame, (you should give them a time frame of 14 days to respond with a resolution), you will refer the matter to the Queensland Government's Office of fair trading.

I would also remind them also in your letter you draft that you are a voice to thousands of fisherman, and I for one would shy away from a boat company that would not fix a structural fault on a boat I had paid 40-50 000 dollars for!

let us knwo the result

Regards,

Brad.
Thanks for your good advice but have tried to be reasonable.Told them I dont want a new motor or trailer just a replacement hull if they have fixed the problem. I will try and locate Queensland office of fair trading
I have sent information to New Zealands Fair Go pro gram

duncan dysart
10-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all your input and it will give me a lot more knowledge when I take to court the salesman who is current owner of Auckland Marine in NZ who sold it to me with the words "you will never have problems with this boat cracking as the machines that press the hulls are too expensive for NZ boatbuiolders and so they have to use weleded plate".I now know it is by choice for NZ conditions (mostly sea)they use plate and some give lifetime guarantees While there was enough flat area for 125mm welds on hull to truss mine were 50mm and very light compared to repair.
It was also interesting that when they agreed to do repair they had parts ready to fly out.Obviously parts to do all the repair work or that are now standard
My boat had no bracing from top to bottom of the trusses in the impact area.To repair they put in a full platebut it appears too late as it cracked again but surely that is acknowledgement that it wasnt right in the first place
To the people that say how well they handle. They do closest thing to fibreglass but not so good if they are filling up with water
Nz maker of Xtreme boats who give lifetime guarantee on hulls could not believe there was no lengthwise bracing and no bearers to trusses
Great river boat but I should never have been sold it to go to sea
Keep responses coming as it will help me greatly to take them to court
Salesman was a Kiwi too so cant blame you guys for him

BOMBIE
10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Duncan i am currently writing a responce to our local federal member re the problem i have been pursuring about a stessco boat for 3+ years ,as I have prevoiusly writing in this blog & good luck mate BOMBIE

Braddles
10-07-2008, 10:33 PM
www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au (http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au) <- That is the link for the office of fair trading mate. I HATE seeing people getting ripped off.

If this happened to me, I would be like a swam of meat ants on the salesmans arse and wouldnt let up until he supported me in replacing my boat. Which I would then promptly sell.

Also start writing to fishing mags for advice. I dont think we are meant to write specific names here but if you need some QLD / Australian fishing boat mags to write to - flick me a PM.

CC all these letters to Quintrex

Failing that - involve the media. We have "current affair" shows (I use that term very loosely) such as Today Tonight etc where people who can get their chance to have their say publically about a shameful act / mistreatment by a corporate organisations... If one thing is on your side - the Aussie public support the underdog and if your situation is told - quintrex will eventually have to buckle under the pressure.

I dont think too many people here would touch one, after reading not your problem (all manufacturers make a lemon), but how they treated you in resolving the lemon.

Best of luck mate

Brad.

BOMBIE
11-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Braddles , sorry to mention but fair trading told me 3 years ago that unless I had plently of time & money they couldnt push these fellas cause they just stonewalled or put the blame on us users , cause we incorrectly handled/used the thing eg;paint not warranted because of incorrect footwear worn so the paint peeled on the side pockets or in battery well ,hull has flat spot cause we slammed in seas OR {get this} contact with marine mammals or hit a sandbar etc etc always our fault we just need to keep bagging these builders ? who just dont cut it BOMBIE

Braddles
11-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi Bombie;

I think Duncan SHOULD still contact them.

Office of fair trade will set in motion the right way to go about mediation if nothing else.

I have used them 3 times, and all times it has ended up at small claims tribunal, and each time, the magistrate has commended me on trying to settle this myself, and using the office of fair trade.

Also, in one instance, where a removalist company had altered the amount on a hand written invoice once they had written the amount and I had signed it, they started their own procedings as they had multiple complaints. Virgin credit cards fraud department also became involved, as it was a master card invoice that they had fraudulantly changed, and in the end - the company was finded, I got my money, and they subsequently folded the company.

You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

uripper
11-07-2008, 01:05 PM
most of you blokes are probably right a plate or glass boat is a softer ride but iv,e got a near 30 year old quinny 4.5 lazeabout that,s still going strong

had the earlier Fishabout version (1972) bought it after it got 'smashed' onto a beach by NQ cyclone - a bit bent but only one weld cracked :o - a few repairs with careful heat & a mallet - bingo ... good as ;). Had it 4yrs & put over & into some of NQ's toughest - came thru like a "legend" ;D ;D

IMHO most builders (even the better ones) can vary in quality over time & some across models at the same time - $$ drive everything - more so these days it seems :-/

Mal

jeffbqld
11-07-2008, 08:08 PM
My 5 metre quinnie is almost 30 years old and it has had plenty of offshore work including regular bar crossing(Southport and Tweed). Every year I check under the floor and the ribs and welds are fine and there is no leaks.

Pressed boats can be built to take offshore work.

disorderly
11-07-2008, 09:11 PM

Yes they can and are.
Although certain manufacturer's are preferring to focus on their established name and marketing to satisfy short term profit targets rather than the longer term view and commitment to quality and customer satisfaction that used to exist.

It's just a sign of the times unfortunately ,but we had better get used to it as cheap imports are scaring the pants of every local manufacturer and although it will mean better prices for us all ....the real cost is yet to be known....although I suspect that the bottom line(profit) will ultimately be the dominating factor with any and all customer relations.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Scott

magnum455
11-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Gummybusta, Your quinnys gunna sink one day

BOMBIE
11-07-2008, 10:27 PM
fellas here we go again 5052/5251 "pressed " alloy =90mpa which is most pressed boats stessco/quinny/stacer etc 5083 PLATE = 250mpa which is trailcraft /seastorm/tabs etc & u dont see to many blogs re PLATE boats 1": cause they dont spit out big heaps and pay for tradesman & 2 :THEY look after there customers I know you pay for what you get BUT if you drove your commodore over the nullabor and it broke they would fix it as the MTAQ has a code of ethecs , not maritime qld they have no balls ,cant & wont do f... all BOMBIE

Kleyny
12-07-2008, 09:30 AM
www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au (http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au) <- That is the link for the office of fair trading mate. I HATE seeing people getting ripped off.

If this happened to me, I would be like a swam of meat ants on the salesmans arse and wouldnt let up until he supported me in replacing my boat. Which I would then promptly sell.

Also start writing to fishing mags for advice. I dont think we are meant to write specific names here but if you need some QLD / Australian fishing boat mags to write to - flick me a PM.

Failing that - involve the media. We have "current affair" shows (I use that term very loosely) such as Today Tonight etc where people who can get their chance to have their say publically about a shameful act / mistreatment by a corporate organisations... If one thing is on your side - the Aussie public support the underdog and if your situation is told - quintrex will eventually have to buckle under the pressure.

I dont think too many people here would touch one, after reading not your problem (all manufacturers make a lemon), but how they treated you in resolving the lemon.

Best of luck mate

Brad.

I dont know if fair trading will help him as he is from NZ.
As for the rest of the post i think he might be also found lacking due to him be in NZ.

I hope not for his sake.

neil

FNQCairns
12-07-2008, 10:27 AM
fellas here we go again 5052/5251 "pressed " alloy =90mpa which is most pressed boats stessco/quinny/stacer etc 5083 PLATE = 250mpa which is trailcraft /seastorm/tabs etc & u dont see to many blogs re PLATE boats 1": cause they dont spit out big heaps and pay for tradesman & 2 :THEY look after there customers I know you pay for what you get BUT if you drove your commodore over the nullabor and it broke they would fix it as the MTAQ has a code of ethecs , not maritime qld they have no balls ,cant & wont do f... all BOMBIE

Thanks Bombie, if you know, what was the predominant grade used in the 70s 80s for pressed boats?. Some of those boats are still in use and have been through hell and back without drama.

cheers fnq

moater
12-07-2008, 11:18 AM

No doubt about it.The pressed method is not at fault as much as bad welding practices it seems.

The pressing is to give strength whereas the "plate" boats rely more on the thickness of the material and the extra bracing that's needed.Either boat should have decent welding and it seems that the quin mob are not up to scratch with their quality control...too busy focusing on profits perhaps??

Maybe it'll take deaths or injury and resulting lawsuits to wake up any manufacturer.>:( >:(

Authorities are pretty lax too...a relly of mine built his own Stabicraft and did a top job too (good as a bought one).When I asked him about having it checked by engineers etc he said no,they were more concerned with seeing the receipt for materials.This was about 10 years or so ago.

Darren

BigE
12-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I know of a few savage's that have developed a crack or two as well. seems to be pretty common in most press boats at some stage.

BigE

duncan dysart
12-07-2008, 02:10 PM
You can view a range of pics of the cracks and welding at http://picasaweb.google.com/slamdunc40/CracksInQuintrex570 (http://picasaweb.google.com/slamdunc40/CracksInQuintrex570)

duncan dysart
12-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Quintrex rides great JUst cracks regularly

duncan dysart
12-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Bombie;

I think Duncan SHOULD still contact them.

Office of fair trade will set in motion the right way to go about mediation if nothing else.

I have used them 3 times, and all times it has ended up at small claims tribunal, and each time, the magistrate has commended me on trying to settle this myself, and using the office of fair trade.

Also, in one instance, where a removalist company had altered the amount on a hand written invoice once they had written the amount and I had signed it, they started their own procedings as they had multiple complaints. Virgin credit cards fraud department also became involved, as it was a master card invoice that they had fraudulantly changed, and in the end - the company was finded, I got my money, and they subsequently folded the company.

You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

I am going to look at using NZ Consumers Guarantee Act
I know in a civil proceeding I can get the salesman who told me "this boat will never crack" but I believe they should not be selling thse boats to go out to sea

duncan dysart
12-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Took Floor off today for a good look and found two cracks at rear near transom I guess that is my fault as well even though the rear doesnt take a pounding and I only tow it 2 km to put it in Internally I counted 10 repaired cracks and now there is another 2 fully cracked and one starting . maim problem is they only weldabout 50mm when there is enough flat space to weld over 100mm
Also saw that two new braces that they put in for repairs have 590 written on them so suspect that after failures of 570s they made 590s with extra bracing
They dont appear to make 570s now.Does anyone know how long they did?

duncan dysart
12-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Duncan,

I had a 600 Offshore from new, a 2001 model. After 3.5 years I found approx 12 broken welds, cracked ribs and bulkheads ripped away from welds. To Quintrex's credit they repaired the boat as if it were still under warranty, but I wasn't going to take a second chance and sold the boat immediately.

From my experience, they are not built to take the pounding a hull gets when running in bumpy conditions.

Good luck.

Regards,
Dave.

Repaired mine too to their credit but didnt last 5 months.They gave me a 6 month warranty which they now wont honour even tho 1 exterior crack and 2 internal
Say its my fault

kitty_cat
12-07-2008, 04:17 PM
What a bunch of wankas!

black runner
12-07-2008, 05:22 PM
I had a look under the floor of my 460 Stacer and not a crack anywhere, but it is interesting to note the different construction methods of the smaller pressed boats.

The bottom sheets aren't welded directly to the floor ribs but only to the keel, chines and transom. The floor ribs (mainly square hollow section with a thicker wall towards the bottom with every one gusseted with the floor support channel) are hard up against the bottom sheets separated by a rubbing strip.

It appears that the transverse sheet welds on Duncans boat have created a weakness (brittleness) in the structure of the sheet. Or is this due to the work hardening of the stretch forming process? or a combination of both. It begs the question about the boat size design limits for this type of construction and material. Looks like some stringers are needed through that area even though the strakes are supposed to do the job.

I suppose Quintrex are stuck using 5251 sheet ally (still marine grade) because they need the malleability to achieve the millenium shape.

gofishin
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
...They dont appear to make 570s now.Does anyone know how long they did?
Duncan, they are the same hull, just a name change (x 2), and now a slightly different transom. The 570's went to a 580 (in 2006) and then a 590 more recently, but all have the same 'hull length' (& 4mm bottom). Similar 'name' changes across the range. Quintrex model names used to be true 'hull length', now they include the bowsprit etc.

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate, hope you get it sorted one way or another.
cheers

paul cooper
13-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Ive got a 4.6 custom built centre console quinny it did a couple of years as a lobby boat down south before i bought it, i use it regularly off coffs.i work on the principal that if you drive any thing to extremes be it a car or a boat something has to give eventually. my boat does have a crack on the gunnel but it was there when i bought it, now i take my young bloke out occassionally and he hasnt got a clue hell crash through everything and you get tired hanging on, personally myself i like to trim the boat up properly and drive to the conditions getting there 5 minutes later saves a lot of the wear and tear factor on both boat and myself so there you have it guys . MAY BE THAT NZ GUY SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A SHEEPTREX THEY SAY THERE A SOFTER RIDE LOL COOP

GAD
13-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Seen a split bow on a hornet and a 6m half cab quintrex with a hull full of water due to a cracked keel ,just get in thanks to the bilge pumps .
And then after my brother has had to weld his quintrex more than a few times and seeing the poor quaility of said topender, and the over pricing of them you can keep the quinni,.
I bought my TABs with a 4stroke 115 suzy, for 3 grand less than the same size and model quintrex with a 2stroke 90 motor , and the stacer was also dearer by a bit too.
Hey all boats look good, new from the factory and maintain them and they will continue to look good and your motor will start and run well , don't and they'll look like squid refuse and nani guts and you become that bloke that spends more time getting the motor to run while you take up a lane at the ramp.[you know who you are, unfortunatly most of us do too after being stuck waiting behind you ]
But you can't maintain against poor workmanship ,if it is a cracked weld under the floor , being that most of the blokes I know have never lifted the floor to check their boat for lost sinkers or hooks or such most blokes wouldn't know there as a crack till it was to late or they had lot of water in the hull and couldn't explain it , and if it is a sealed floor how do you check it.
Some boats are made for smooth water and others can take a beating , you can make a good boat ride rough if you drive it hard or harshly or don't know how to drive it , and you can make a bad boat ride alrightish if you drive to the conditions . Getting there 5 minutes later is better than a sore back or kidneys for the day or days as you get a little older.
I agree quintrex are at the lower end of the quality scale, but there are a lot of others as well keeping them company.
It is just shame that the goverment doesn't set a standard for boats , like it does for cars , bikes , planes , prams , swing sets , tv's , people and just about everything else .

Greg

Getout
13-07-2008, 07:04 PM
No doubt about it.The pressed method is not at fault as much as bad welding practices it seems.

Darren

I had one of the early Quinny flared bow CCs for years. It was a great, tough old rig but it used to split welds occasionally. Sometimes because of trailer stress (multi-roller trailer not recommended)
Re-welding was only a temporary solution. It would usually split again in the same place. The point at the bottom of the stem was most vulnerable when hammering home in a following sea. You could hear the hull oil-canning at the bottom of a wave.
Welds are the weak point in any alloy boat. The alloy gets brittle due to the heat of the welding process.
I don't think they (production pressed tinnys) are made to take an offshore hammering. If you drive them hard they will fail earlier than a platey or glassey.

duncan dysart
14-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Duncan, they are the same hull, just a name change (x 2), and now a slightly different transom. The 570's went to a 580 (in 2006) and then a 590 more recently, but all have the same 'hull length' (& 4mm bottom). Similar 'name' changes across the range. Quintrex model names used to be true 'hull length', now they include the bowsprit etc.

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate, hope you get it sorted one way or another.
cheers
When they did my repairs (too late)they added two extra braces with 590 written on them which must now be standard as they had so much trouble without them

FNQCairns
14-07-2008, 08:06 PM
When they did my repairs (too late)they added two extra braces with 590 written on them which must now be standard as they had so much trouble without them

You would be right, one of the foremost requirements when I researched tinnys in the 5m bracket and larger was if it didn't have a full to floor height bulkhead type brace on every single rib (and all FULL height ribs no more than 400mm centres) then it was next to a junk boat - for my money anyway as it was going to be 40km+ offshore often.

If the cage or skeleton is strong and sound 90% of these problems disappear, of coarse not counting gumby welders.

cheers fnq

Scott nthQld
14-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Thats the biggest problem Australian industry now, the lack of skilled workers, ie tradesmen, is forcing the government and training facilities to make everything too easy. I mean sure you get more tradies, but in the long run we lose out because this new breed of tradesman doesn't have the training of yesteryear. After all, a trade certificate is just a piece of paper, and not sufficient proof that the holder can do his/her job properly.

Unfortunately, the quality tradesmen are fast tracked through promotion after promotion simply because they do their job well and they deserve it, leaving substandard tradesmen to train the new batch of apprentices, and hence quality of work goes down the crapper and will only get worse and worse with each new batch of budding tradesmen. Not the case in all workplaces, but most unfortunately.

this will only bring about more and more drama's for the people buying from the industry (especially marine) and with boats, eventually it will only result in calm, creek boats due to poor workmanship.

Its not the Industry to blame, I see it as the Government's fault, they saw a trade shortage, now they've taken measures to fix the shortage, now they need to implement a governing body to make sure quality and safety doesn't suffer.

pedrodepacus
15-07-2008, 06:19 AM
wat scottnq is saying is very true from wat i have seen in this industry theres not anywhere near the quality of tradesmen around especially in the pressed boat scene which is very scary especially in the tinnys alot of them are built by kids with very little expierience or knowledge of how to do any kind of welding/fabricating/or engineering but dont worry you can pick them easily they are the boats that look like the weld has been thrown at them from ten feet away.

dagsje
15-07-2008, 03:35 PM
i,d say the older quinny,s were stronger and better welds same with most things today wish you the best with the outcome mate

Camo
15-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Listen shut up you guys, how the hell am I sposed to sell mine if you tell everyone how crappy they are?

The cracked welds are supposed to be there, it's a design feature, they absorb the shock from rough water, and give you a smoother ride, and the cracks in the hull are, are speed cracks, designed to cut down friction and make the boat go faster. Honest.

lunchcutter
15-07-2008, 07:08 PM
sh-t hey the uncle of mine bought a brand spanker nw quintrex and yes started taking water and yes thats after his second trip out he then took it back to where he bought it from and they orginised to get it welded up mmmm

duncan dysart
16-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all your confirmation that Quintrex crack when mixed with saltwater
I was on forum in NZ fishing.net.nz and dealer came on to say mine was only one that cracked in 1000 sold and it was my handling of boat that is the problem.Funny when they reluctantly did repair that led to 3 more cracks in 5 months I had to take it to their particular aluminium welder that "does all our repairs" Must be broke having done 1 job

However my thread has now been closed as being no place to air these issues
Something to do with advertising paying for the website
Congratulations Ausfish for giving opportunity for all parties but notice Telwater have no answers
Would appreciate you guys with cracked Quintrex letting nz website know

tin can marlin
16-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I think we have to be careful not to hurt the dealers selling these boats as i think they are doing it hard at the moment. And i'am sure companys like crew marine need the sales good bunch of guys down there doing it a bit tougth at the moment. Maybe it is due to haveing a quintrex dealership. They are on the nose on ausfish at the moment thats forshore. As duncan said telewater need to get on here and put there point of veiw across i think that would be a good thing to do as there is always two sides to every story. Regards Mark

Chimo
16-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi Guys

Never owned a quinny but have seen a mates S... boat split along the keel and have seen a few cracks in others over the years.

Is'nt the issue, especially when someone buys a new boat having explained to the dealer / saleman exactly what you intend to do in the boat, really about you being sold an item plainly not fit for the intended purpose?

Mind you the dealer could assume, if you didn't tell him otherwise, that you were just going to use the boat in smooth, sheltered waters away from nasty waves and other big boat wakes. In this case whats the problem?

Caveat emptor is not supposed to rule but it certainly seems that it plays a part along with the desire of some to get an extra few few feet for the same $s as a heavier, probably better built but smaller craft would have cost!

Cheers
Chimo

disorderly
16-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I think we have to be careful not to hurt the dealers selling these boats as i think they are doing it hard at the moment. And i'am sure companys like crew marine need the sales good bunch of guys down there doing it a bit tougth at the moment. Maybe it is due to haveing a quintrex dealership. They are on the nose on ausfish at the moment thats forshore. As duncan said telewater need to get on here and put there point of veiw across i think that would be a good thing to do as there is always two sides to every story. Regards Mark

I really dont understand what you are getting at,Mark????

That we should support struggling dealers who are selling an inferior product who give very little customer service and factory backup when there are inevitable manufacturing problems????

You can't be serious,can you...what are you really trying to say????

Scott

disorderly
16-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Guys

Caveat emptor is not supposed to rule but it certainly seems that it plays a part along with the desire of some to get an extra few few feet for the same $s as a heavier, probably better built but smaller craft would have cost!

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo, Quintrex are not a cheap boat and some of their models are called "Offshore"...

Scott

Chimo
16-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Hi Scott

Yes and no.
I would have thought a better word to apply to any item not up to the task would be expensive .........

Is'nt the issue more about profitability and marketing?

As you correctly mentioned if something is tagged "Offshore" and the scoping brief provided by the purchaser to the dealer states that hard, roughwater offshore work is to be undertaken then could it not be put that the goods were not as specified and some compensation remedy should be forthcoming?

Maybe we buyers need to be better prepared with some paperwork that describes the use and purpose to which the goods are to be put.

We also need to get something in writing from the dealer confirming that the item offered is warranted to perform in accord with the specification we provided. If they wont give it to you in writing then maybe its time to walk away.

If a "not cheap" item fell to bits / cracked / leaked etc at least there would be a leg to stand on and you could even run a class action with S & G or similar.

If I had the issues that have been raised in this thread Id be looking for blood too by the way.

Cheers
Chimo

lunchcutter
16-07-2008, 08:31 PM
yeah right not cheap but come from the same factory as the cheap ones

Nomad62
16-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Hey Bombie,
you are correct.......grade 5083 would seem to be the way to go as it is a "higher tensile" grade of aluminium. However time will tell if it will survive the "work hardening" process that can effect Aluminium.

It has been reported that some of the cracking these days is also caused by manufacturers importing aluminium that has the grade required but not backed by strict standards. These imported alloys apparently have a different alloy composition, in that they have more impurities and a higher percentage of lesser quality alloys while still maintaining the same "grade". Anyone notice how alloy boats these days seem to get electrolysis and "galvanic corrosion" seemingly quicker than in boats say 20yrs old. IMO this is why.

Also the obvious lack of "Qualified" tradesmen has had a big impact as well. Most manufacturers are using semi skilled labour that are taught to weld with one process only. Unfortunately, and not the fault of the employee, they have limited technical knowledge on the effects of welding defects....such as lack of fusion, porosity, crater cracks, incomplete welds and so on.

Unfortunately, as Bombie says the boating industry is not regulated to the standard that it should be. Its so ironic that councils, state and federal Govn'ts have so many rules, regulations and by laws......but anyone can produce a sub standard boat and let a family set out to sea at their own peril.

Cheers Nomad

Rob128
16-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Duncan,

I can see why the Moderators removed the post in the forum in NZ, and I suspect the Ausfish Moderators are nervous about some of the content contained in this post.

In your first post (unedited) you seemed to want to hold the salesman accountable Vs the manufacturer, this post seems to have been allowed to turn into a Quintrex bash.

After a long debate, we purchased a Quintrex and I don't expect any problems as I am using for what we intended it for and we like it. We plan to upgrade with an option for offshore. However, by choice it will be with a Glass boat specifically made for offshore and i'll pay the associated higher price tag.

I can see why the manufacturers close ranks whenever a reliability / durability issue is raised against their product in the public domain. It is natural they will default to the public warranty and leverage statements such as "factors beyond their control" - you'd be naive to expect any more.

I believe Legal precedent would be their biggest fear, if they settle with you, they'll have to settle with every cracked hull out there and then the claims will get bigger. If one manufacturer falls then, by thisvery same precedent, ALL will soon fall and the price of the humble tinny will rise and they'll go out of business.

When I say manufacturer I mean all, I don't expect Quintrex to be any different to any other manufacturer - they need to, and will, protect themselves.

As you've gone public the best you'll hope to see is what their warranty policy provides and expect no more. Any settlement above the policy would have been done by non-disclosure and disclaimer. Unfortunately, this post would have jeopardised any opportunity for this to now occur.

I'm not having a go, just providing my persepctive on your unfortunate situation.

Regards,

Rob

Marky69
16-07-2008, 09:58 PM
There certainly have been other claims....

http://www.un-reel-sportsfishing-adventures.com.au/reviews/QuintrexHornet-BoatoftheYear-ora-Lemon.html

KGW3
17-07-2008, 07:49 AM
They are most likely made out of Asian imported junk alloy, like the Jap Outboards are made from... 10 years down the track and there will be Honda's, Yamaha's and Suzuki's rotting away in boat bone yards everywhere. Like their cars, they are made to last a few years and then you dispose of them. Japcrap...:D

ozscott
17-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Thats very enlightening KGW3 - I went outside after I read your post and had a good chat with my 14 year old Yamaha Jap Crap V4 that gets only salt water use (and on which a month ago I stripped off the head cover plates to clean some pilot holes out that had sand in them and found virtually nil pitting...) and told it that it was 4 years on borrowed time and made it clear that I expected to see it rusting inside out immediately because it was making me look quite silly. There was zero corrosion on the outside of the power head and leg also which really pisses me off.

I then went and had the same talk with the 20 year old Tohatsu 12hp thats downstairs from another smaller boat I had....same thing. Bugger.

You would probably like my cars though - their from the mother country Britain the original strong steel producer - Sheffield etc.

Cheers

For Steve
17-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I would have thought the manufacturer is responsible for design and manufacturing faults, and would be responsible for rectifying the situation.

When working as a motor mechanic many years ago, I lost count of the number of recalls and modifications. Owners were notified of a potential problem even when there was no precedence of the issue occurring, other than in ongoing testing by the manufacturer.

With the potential danger to human life found in boating, you would hope there was better accountability by the manufacturer to build a seaworthy product.

Regards
Brad

KGW3
17-07-2008, 01:51 PM
ozcott

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story... ;)

finding_time
17-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Chimo, Quintrex are not a cheap boat and some of their models are called "Offshore"...

Scott

Yep and it makes me laugh every time i see one!!!!!;) I think to myself " You poor suckers!!"

Marky69

Thanks for posting the link!;) Seems to be a common theme forming with qunitrex's customer service and complaints handling!!! Feel a little bit sorry for anyone yet to have problems with there rig!
http://www.un-reel-sportsfishing-adventures.com.au/reviews/QuintrexHornet-BoatoftheYear-ora-Lemon.html

Ian

BOMBIE
18-07-2008, 12:19 AM
FELLAS, its not only just the Q boats but & if you read most of the "faulty" post, there are only but a few {still too many} of these sorts of "boats" around . Build a house & its not right master builders WILL get it fixed ,cars MTAQ etc etc and build a few faulty car and they WILL get recalled because they are dangerous ??? WHY ISNT there a legistative body over this massive industry called small boats in qld, to cover the poor bastards like yours truely that go throught this s -it every year only to be fobed off by some manufactor who doesnt care about us or anyone once its left there put- to-geather shop ,because they know there is noone to back us up ps i am in contact with my local federal member at this time and haved asked him ?whis me/us luck BOMBIE

duncan dysart
18-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Wow can this John Roati come to NZ

duncan dysart
18-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Duncan,

I can see why the Moderators removed the post in the forum in NZ, and I suspect the Ausfish Moderators are nervous about some of the content contained in this post.

In your first post (unedited) you seemed to want to hold the salesman accountable Vs the manufacturer, this post seems to have been allowed to turn into a Quintrex bash.

After a long debate, we purchased a Quintrex and I don't expect any problems as I am using for what we intended it for and we like it. We plan to upgrade with an option for offshore. However, by choice it will be with a Glass boat specifically made for offshore and i'll pay the associated higher price tag.

I can see why the manufacturers close ranks whenever a reliability / durability issue is raised against their product in the public domain. It is natural they will default to the public warranty and leverage statements such as "factors beyond their control" - you'd be naive to expect any more.

I believe Legal precedent would be their biggest fear, if they settle with you, they'll have to settle with every cracked hull out there and then the claims will get bigger. If one manufacturer falls then, by thisvery same precedent, ALL will soon fall and the price of the humble tinny will rise and they'll go out of business.

When I say manufacturer I mean all, I don't expect Quintrex to be any different to any other manufacturer - they need to, and will, protect themselves.

As you've gone public the best you'll hope to see is what their warranty policy provides and expect no more. Any settlement above the policy would have been done by non-disclosure and disclaimer. Unfortunately, this post would have jeopardised any opportunity for this to now occur.

I'm not having a go, just providing my persepctive on your unfortunate situation.

Regards,

Rob
I have tried hard to be "reasonable " and get a result with no luck as it is all my fault so all I can hope for is to prevent any more gullible kiwis like myself getting sucked in

duncan dysart
18-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Thats very enlightening KGW3 - I went outside after I read your post and had a good chat with my 14 year old Yamaha Jap Crap V4 that gets only salt water use (and on which a month ago I stripped off the head cover plates to clean some pilot holes out that had sand in them and found virtually nil pitting...) and told it that it was 4 years on borrowed time and made it clear that I expected to see it rusting inside out immediately because it was making me look quite silly. There was zero corrosion on the outside of the power head and leg also which really pisses me off.

I then went and had the same talk with the 20 year old Tohatsu 12hp thats downstairs from another smaller boat I had....same thing. Bugger.

You would probably like my cars though - their from the mother country Britain the original strong steel producer - Sheffield etc.

Cheers
Yep I should be ranting about Aussie crap given my experience with Quintrex and the fact that you have pinched our best rugby coach I would buy a Japanese boat if it was available based on Yamaha outboards and toyota cars
Dumb kiwi for buying ozzie crap

duncan dysart
18-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Listen shut up you guys, how the hell am I sposed to sell mine if you tell everyone how crappy they are?

The cracked welds are supposed to be there, it's a design feature, they absorb the shock from rough water, and give you a smoother ride, and the cracks in the hull are, are speed cracks, designed to cut down friction and make the boat go faster. Honest.

They cant accuse me of going too fast any more as all the welds slow me up too much

duncan dysart
18-07-2008, 06:31 PM

can you send this to fishing .net.nz boating forum under Quintrex problems as i am banned for putting my view forward as quintrex dealer thinks it is unfair

chop69
18-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Duncan,
surely there must be a better reason than this to take your view off the above site? if the boat was brand new and you have had all the above problems,i would also be asking questions. i also have a quinnie (510 c/c - 3yrs old) and have not had a problem apart from the bilge pump base breaking off.

Ram-rod
19-07-2008, 01:14 AM
is quintrex the only tinnie to have problems. I have a 540 spirit and am very happy, but according to all in this thread i should basically sell it for whatever i can get for it or cut my wrists for having brought such a craft. Surely Telwater is not the only manufactuer shuts down in the event of a problem. This must be the same problem with Stacer then.
Holy dooley according to all of this i should not go out in the thing for fear of the hull cracking and meeting an untimely end at the hands Telwater.... I might just leave it in the shed and look at it every now and again to remind me what a lemon i have...
confused....

BOMBIE
19-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Ram rod trust us its not only Q boats .check out some of my blogs re STESSCO .it just a pity that these "manufactors" dont have enough guts / pride in there things to say"we stuffed up & we will replace/ fix it " or for both the federal & state governments make them do any thing ,there is NO legislation on the limited warranty enforcement provisions & lack of enforcement powers that cover this million dollar industry so THEY get away scott free ,which means that you can put any type of "boat "on the water & as long as you have approriate safety gear NO ONE can take you off the water I have also asked that one as well & PS safe boating???!! BOMBIE

BOMBIE
06-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Best of luck mate

Brad. RE update on our saga Fellas contacted by Office of fair trade & was told that unless we " persue them in court ourselves " they connot do f----- nothing to help us.. ITS up to us. BOMBIE

Mindi
07-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Sorry bloke ,I fish out pretty wide but if apparently ,like you, I fished within 5 minutes of the boat ramp than my stacer would be as good as a glass boat,but in reality it doesn't come close.

For me the pressed alloy 5.25 tinny will do until we get a pontoon locally so I can launch a glass boat by myself and then my back will thank me a thousand times over( and yes...I have had plenty of 100-200km round trips in quinny's also(including the legendary millenium hull).

I do,however agree about your statement that there are plenty of 30 year old tinny's going strong....I also know of many.
I don't believe however that the build quality,committment to quality and customer service or the purity of the recycled alloys used these days are near as good as those old boats that are still going strong.

It's just a ridiculous statement to say that a pressed tinny will offer a better ride and build quality than an equivalent glass boat.

Call me in 6 months and I will come and weld it up for you.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

I agree Scott... for my sins I have had two quinnies and one Southwind.....absolutely no comparison..the southwind was softer, drier, faster, better in every way except for weight...I wont get another glass boat as limited in what I can handle by myself but anyone who reckons a quinnie or any pressed tinnie rides as well as a big quality glass boat just hasnt been in them both let alone owned them....there are lots of reasons to own a tinnie rather than a glassy...but ride isnt one of them

Mindi
07-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Well I have been looking at this forum frequently over a few months now to get up to date on whats good and whats not so I can upgrade from a river size tinnie to a limited offshore ..like 5.0M with a 75 sort of economical unpainted rig...and have really enjoyed the grenade throwing about Etecs and 4 strokes....great fun.

Cant really afford 30+ for a basic platey made from 5083...but the horror stories about cracking pressed hulls and bad quality on this forum have made me eliminate Stessco, Quintrex, Stacer, Four Seasons, Aquamaster, .....so do I assume these stories are all true..? I guess so... but I have no personal knowledge that these boats are actually bad. Do you also assume the ones you are not hearing about are also not up to a bit of hard weather..?..is the industry standard pressed hull now really a river option..?
I would have described Quinnies as overpriced and boring...but of sound quality..? Maybe golf is a better option....maybe save longer and go to someone like Peter at Profish Caloundra and get a really basic but unbreakable 5083 hull and know you arent going to be posting sad stories about arguing with Albo or Telwater over cracked hulls..?..too old for that.

Mindi
07-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Quintrex are a shit boat full stop,I got a brand new unused/unregistered 395 Explorer Trophy for 7k (unwanted prize) and I still feel I got ripped off,it is just the sadest piece of workmanship (for want of a better phrase) that I have ever come across.It nearly sank on it's first outing due to unfinished welds along the keel,if you stand on the floor with wet feet brown stains emerge and the soles of your feet turn chocalate brown,all in all a very dissappointing aquisition.
Anyone who has an ocean going pressed alloy hull is going to experience cracking at some stage,it's just the nature of the beast.
Gummy.......if your tinnie is over 6.5m it may ride as good as the Southwind,but if it's under a metre longer then I just can't see it.

This just bullshit...not the story...the situation. People just dont go out in medium small trailerboats in conditions which are that extreme...these boats should be swamping and sinking before they are splitting and breaking if they are being "abused".. they must be being welded by unskilled labour or using inadequate designs or materials. There is just no scenario in which it can be the owners "fault"...that is crap....

apologies for getting over the top here but this is really showing an industry with problems.

disorderly
07-08-2008, 06:44 PM
apologies for getting over the top here but this is really showing an industry with problems.

Not a truer word has been spoken.
There also appears to be no regulatory body to make boat manufacturers uphold a decent standard of workmanship.
If the Office or Fair Trading cant help those that obviously have genuine grievances then our country is in a bad state indeed.

What a crazy industry anyway that someone that can weld a bit can start up a boat manufacturing company ...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif.

I really don't like more bureaucracy than is necessary but I really think boats need to included under the umbrella of department of transport quite simply just so buyers can have some recompense and somewhere to turn to if the boat does not comply with what should be a "seaworthy" state.

We get pulled up on the road from the department of transport and get a thorough going over with a fine tooth comb on the trailer and tow vehicle.....but what about the boat.???

I really am sick of hearing an endless stream of horror stories of people that have paid good money for boats that start falling apart from day one and then get disgraceful aftersales service when they want it fixed...

Scott

Tassie JR
07-08-2008, 09:03 PM
We have also owned a quintrex 570 sea raider and guess what got it welded 4 times, then we broght a southwind sf 640 best sea boat ever but downgraded to a fisher 570 due to southwind was just a bit to big, and couldnt be happier with the fisher awsome boat and absoloutly kills the quinny.

cheers tassie JR

Ram-rod
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM
is there anyone out there actually happy with their late Telwater boat?? Up here in Hervey Bay that is about all there is on the water....Surely there are some of them that hold together.

Mindi
07-08-2008, 09:41 PM
is there anyone out there actually happy with their late Telwater boat?? Up here in Hervey Bay that is about all there is on the water....Surely there are some of them that hold together.

Well maybe the issue is that in decent conditions this poor workmanship doesnt show out...but if you regularly give them a hard trip into a lumpy sea then they just wont take it. Maybe they will be just fine if they dont get pushed...?

Wayne Holland
09-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Duncan

View a sample pic below or a range of photos with comments at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/slamdunc40/CracksInQuintrex570
http://picasaweb.google.com/slamdunc40/CracksInQuintrex570/photo#5221956686871697410

It's a question of Caveat Emptor; being a Kiwi you would be well aware that there are at least 6 manufactures of "Pontoon Boats" in N.Z. these have evolved because of N.Z. waters which are similar to some of the rougher parts of Oz. they are very safe because of the full Buoyancy in the sides, which makes them difficult to capsize when swamped.
There Sea worthness in harsh conditions, make them, a sort of 4WD of the small boating world, they simply are bullet proof. Their Hulls are 5083 Aluminium unlike pressed Aluminium Hulls which use the softer 5052 which is easily pressed to shape and is more prone to fatgue.

If Pontoon boats are the 4WD then Conventional boats are the Commodore/Falcons.

Arguably the best being a Plate boat, there are many well made N.Z. Plate boats available. Surtees being one of the more inovative, being the basis of the popular Aussie built Barcrusher.

Quintrex are a popular choice of many and fill an important and large Marketing slot, so long as you don't expect them to do something they were never designed for.

As for complaining to the appopriate authority, unless you can prove the dealer was telling you porkies, then you have to prove that the Boat is not fit for purpose.

In the end you get what you pay for.

Best of luck.

bushbeachboy
09-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Well I have been looking at this forum frequently over a few months now to get up to date on whats good and whats not so I can upgrade from a river size tinnie to a limited offshore ..like 5.0M with a 75 sort of economical unpainted rig...and have really enjoyed the grenade throwing about Etecs and 4 strokes....great fun.

Cant really afford 30+ for a basic platey made from 5083...but the horror stories about cracking pressed hulls and bad quality on this forum have made me eliminate Stessco, Quintrex, Stacer, Four Seasons, Aquamaster, .....so do I assume these stories are all true..? I guess so... but I have no personal knowledge that these boats are actually bad. Do you also assume the ones you are not hearing about are also not up to a bit of hard weather..?..is the industry standard pressed hull now really a river option..?
I would have described Quinnies as overpriced and boring...but of sound quality..? Maybe golf is a better option....maybe save longer and go to someone like Peter at Profish Caloundra and get a really basic but unbreakable 5083 hull and know you arent going to be posting sad stories about arguing with Albo or Telwater over cracked hulls..?..too old for that.

Mindi, have a look at a poly boat mate. It might do the job you want done. Very tough and smooth ride. No cracking......
Have a look over on www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com) and you'll get some ideas as to whether they might suit you or not.
Cheers

Mindi
09-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Mindi, have a look at a poly boat mate. It might do the job you want done. Very tough and smooth ride. No cracking......
Have a look over on www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com) and you'll get some ideas as to whether they might suit you or not.
Cheers

well look 6 months ago i wouldnt have considered it...but would be foolish not to do so now. Does this mean I cant make any more stupid tupperware jokes..?

I used to fish Bermagui to the shelf plus regularly in the "classic" 80s quintrex 5.0m hull in both a cruisabout and fishabout configs....they were hammered home from Montague often into Southerlies for 14 Miles and everyone got wet as shags and teeth jarred out but I never heard of one cracking....they got pinprick size electrolysis holes which you could weld up if you dropped stuff inside the floor...but they were pressed and they didnt break. So this new party trick is not inherently because they are pressed..its because they are structually CRAP.

bushbeachboy
09-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Make as many tupperware jokes as you like mate. I'm not sensitive about it. Nor are most poly boat owners. We just don't like the out and out BS passed around by some people who don't have a clue.

I must admit to being a big fan of the poly boats, but I'm not one-eyed enough to think they'll suit everybody. You'll find most people on the polyboatowners forum are the same. It's also a friendly forum, and many of the members there are members here on Ausfish as well.

So fire away with the tupperware jokes, and we'll fire back with dogdish and shower tray jokes. Hehe.

Scott nthQld
09-08-2008, 07:58 PM

I am, I have an oldish quinnie, a 92 'Reefmaster' 4.85m. Not a big boat by any means, but it has been through some hellish conditions when we've been caught out when the weather's kicked up contrary to predictions.

Mine isn't a flared bow, and isn't a soft ride at all, but it's to be expected, it's a tinny for christ's sake, if anyone ever thinks they will get a smooth ride out of a tinny in anywhere but a mil pond, they're kidding themselves. True I would prefer something softer and drier, but til I can afford to, the tinny suits me just fine, and has done everything I wanted it to do.

Any quintrex with the flared bow are called can openers up here, as they're always the ones that seem to split, we've never had a problem, and if we have one soon, it'll be simply because of age. Its done a lot of fishing in its time, and there's still plenty left in the old girl.

But i'll still be upgrading the first chance I get, and it won't be a new quintrex, though mine has performed great, after seeing some of the crap telwater are churning out now, I'll be steering well clear.

black runner
09-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I am a bit the same as Ram-rod who looks to have a Stacer. During the Summer we always come home and cop crappy sea breeze steep chop. Mind you I do back off and drive to keep the passangers from mutinying. Never had a crack and looking under the floor at the weld quality and on the outside seems - all looks good and don't see any sign they will. I suppose when comparing any floating rib tinnie vs a fully welded plate with stringers etc, the plate is clearly more suited to all weather use than the other. It will have less flex and be less likely to crack. No brainer..

A mate of mine regularly uses an old open tinnie (built by a well respected local builder) to pull pots in areas and conditions that most others wouldn't go to in that type of boat. The boat suffers and has been welded a few times, but he doesn't blame the boat he just loves his crays too much and admits he drives too hard most of the time.

Ram-rod
10-08-2008, 12:10 AM
I am a bit the same as Ram-rod who looks to have a Stacer. During the Summer we always come home and cop crappy sea breeze steep chop. Mind you I do back off and drive to keep the passangers from mutinying. Never had a crack and looking under the floor at the weld quality and on the outside seems - all looks good and don't see any sign they will. I suppose when comparing any floating rib tinnie vs a fully welded plate with stringers etc, the plate is clearly more suited to all weather use than the other. It will have less flex and be less likely to crack. No brainer..

A mate of mine regularly uses an old open tinnie (built by a well respected local builder) to pull pots in areas and conditions that most others wouldn't go to in that type of boat. The boat suffers and has been welded a few times, but he doesn't blame the boat he just loves his crays too much and admits he drives too hard most of the time.
Mine is a late 2005 Quintrex 540 spirit which supposedly has a 4mm bottom. And like you black-runner only drive to conditions (the missus won't let me do enything else) and yes it is rougher than previous glass boats but the ramp and loading situation here in the bay certainly favour ally boats.. but it is comfortable for the wife and I and certainly for the family when they visit. Brought it when it was 18months old and at this stage cannot fault it. Time will tell I suppose and whilst some here would suggest I should make it part of the arty up here I will be keeping it because it suits me fine.
I will however be diligent regarding craking or breaking of welds as some of the horror stories here suggest (not just telwater rigs). It is a pity as well that a lot of the angst aginst Quintrex and stacer in particular would not have turned nasty had they (Telwater) come to the party re repairs, at least that is the way I read it.
happy boating folks...
Russell

black runner
10-08-2008, 08:45 AM
I think it is worth noting that is outwardly more difficult to determine if a boat has been continuously pounded until something like welds begin to give way or fatigue cracking occurs etc., unlike a motor vehicle which will give all sorts of clues through a test drive and under vehicle inspection. A vehicle driven on rough roads by a rough driver will clearly suffer more wear and tear that the same vehicle with a more conservative driver. Similarly an all highway running vehicle suffer less.

I used to be involved with the maintenance of fleet of log trucks back in the 80's. These were run exclusively on bush roads and heavily loaded. Standard highway trucks cracked and literally fell apart. Triple channel chassis trucks were the only thing that would stand up and even then the cabs on these had to be reinforced after cracking appeared.

So it's clearly a case of horses for courses notwithstanding the issue of poor build quality when it occurs.

Cheers

Wayne Holland
10-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I think it is worth noting that is outwardly more difficult to determine if a boat has been continuously pounded until something like welds begin to give way or fatigue cracking occurs etc., unlike a motor vehicle which will give all sorts of clues through a test drive and under vehicle inspection. A vehicle driven on rough roads by a rough driver will clearly suffer more wear and tear that the same vehicle with a more conservative driver. Similarly an all highway running vehicle suffer less.

I used to be involved with the maintenance of fleet of log trucks back in the 80's. These were run exclusively on bush roads and heavily loaded. Standard highway trucks cracked and literally fell apart. Triple channel chassis trucks were the only thing that would stand up and even then the cabs on these had to be reinforced after cracking appeared.

So it's clearly a case of horses for courses notwithstanding the issue of poor build quality when it occurs.

Cheers

Often when you look at the under side of some pressed Alu boats that been flogged in heavy conditions, you will notice that the Hull plates have become corrugated between the boats frames.

If in doubt run a string line through.
Note: If it shows there is a concave from bow to stern, this will cause "Hogging" which can create a loss of performance.
Older Fiberglass boats that have sat on poorly designed trailers for long periods can suffer the same problem. Owners have been known to repower there boats because of "Hogging"

hoodunnit
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
I Have A 6 Metre Quinny 2003 Model 400 Hours On My Old Carby Yammie. I Must Be Lucky, No Cracked Welds Or Split Keels. I Pull The Floor Out Every Year And Give It A Gerni Out And So Far Its Aok.

kingtin
11-08-2008, 09:53 AM
I've had my 5.49 stacer nomad for over 3 months now and can't fault it............no cracks or split welds, but then again, it's not been out of the bloody garage yet! ;D

Dirtysanchez
11-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I've had my 5.49 stacer nomad for over 3 months now and can't fault it............no cracks or split welds, but then again, it's not been out of the bloody garage yet! ;D

Omigawd Kev, thats a classic, no wonder it is in top shape.
Do you need a hand launching it or something ?? :D

Russ

kingtin
11-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Omigawd Kev, thats a classic, no wonder it is in top shape.
Do you need a hand launching it or something ?? :D

Russ

No Russ, I just ain't been fit enough. Put my back out the day after I got it delivered, then I got an ear infection and then I put my back out again the day before I went to the UK. Spent the first day of the holiday in hospital. Two weeks into the holiday and a cut toe (don't wear thongs when stepping over rusty corrugated iron) ::) saw me back in hospital for a clean up and tetanus. Two days before flying back and the back came good but I went arse over tit trying to photograph a fox and broke a rib.

The rib is just coming good but the ear infection has come back and the antibiotics have given me the squizzes ::) My arse is as red as a baboons ;D

I'll get there. I keep going into the garage and looking at her. I can't even climb into the bugger yet ;D

kev

Chimo
11-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Gees Kev

You are a worry!

As a fellow GOM I feel for you and wish you well.

Walk quietly with a big stick or in your case a cane or a crutch.

Cheers
Chimo

duncan dysart
11-08-2008, 06:17 PM
RE update on our saga Fellas contacted by Office of fair trade & was told that unless we " persue them in court ourselves " they connot do f----- nothing to help us.. ITS up to us. BOMBIE
I am trying to get onto NZ fair Go and am in line but if I was 90 and ripped off might jump the queue

duncan dysart
11-08-2008, 06:23 PM
It's a question of Caveat Emptor; being a Kiwi you would be well aware that there are at least 6 manufactures of "Pontoon Boats" in N.Z. these have evolved because of N.Z. waters which are similar to some of the rougher parts of Oz. they are very safe because of the full Buoyancy in the sides, which makes them difficult to capsize when swamped.
There Sea worthness in harsh conditions, make them, a sort of 4WD of the small boating world, they simply are bullet proof. Their Hulls are 5083 Aluminium unlike pressed Aluminium Hulls which use the softer 5052 which is easily pressed to shape and is more prone to fatgue.

If Pontoon boats are the 4WD then Conventional boats are the Commodore/Falcons.

Arguably the best being a Plate boat, there are many well made N.Z. Plate boats available. Surtees being one of the more inovative, being the basis of the popular Aussie built Barcrusher.

Quintrex are a popular choice of many and fill an important and large Marketing slot, so long as you don't expect them to do something they were never designed for.

As for complaining to the appopriate authority, unless you can prove the dealer was telling you porkies, then you have to prove that the Boat is not fit for purpose.

In the end you get what you pay for.

Best of luck.
Agree with you now.salesman did tell me this boat would never crack and he was a kiwi.Looked in on Xtreme plate being built and shows that they should not be selling pressed for NZ conditions.Lifetime guarantee on hull compared to 2 years
I see savage are making plate boats now for 6m
says it all about pressed

Wayne Holland
15-08-2008, 02:18 AM
It is my understanding that pressed hulls have floating frames, meaning that the hull is not welded to the frames, it is also my understand that trailcraft which has a plate hull with pressed sides has floating frames, unlike a true plate boat which either have frames and stringer construction (welded to the hull) or welded longtitudinal stringer construction favoured by the Kiwis.

Could someone comment?
Cheers W

gofishin
15-08-2008, 06:33 AM
... the hull is not welded to the frames, it is also my understand that trailcraft which has a plate hull with pressed sides has floating frames...

Wayne, with 'pressed' boats with 3mm bottoms, or smaller, the bottom sheet is not welded to the ribs/gussets. Pressed boats with bottom sheets 4mm or greater, the bottom sheet is generally welded to the ribs/gussets.

The difference between true 'pressed' and 'plate' construction techniques is not in the look of the sides etc, but how they are built. Pressed boats are built hull shell first, using extrusions for seam joints, then the internal structure is added last. True plate boats are built like a traditional timber boat - a rigid frame structure comprising a matrix of welded stringers, barers, x-members, b/heads etc is built on a jig, and the hull sheeting is added last.

Just because a boat has flat sides doesn't mean it is a plate boat. There are many 'hybrids' out there - combining both construction techniques in some way or another. Trailcraft are one of them. There are also many pressed boats with flat sides & bottoms (with maybe one chine & gunnel pressing to stop rippling) that are sold as plate boats, but they aren't.
cheers

CHAPPY
15-08-2008, 07:31 AM

Yes Ram-Rod I am happy with my 2003 model 385 explorer.
I power it with the suggested outboard 15 h.p. The plate says 10 to 25 reccommended 15h.p.

We have installed a suspended floor so we do not walk on the bottom of the boat and regularly inspect for cracks etc.No signs yet and no water intrusion.

We use the boat as an estuary and bay boat as thats what they are intended for.

The eclipse shaped hull is not designed or intended for the open waters and therefore is not used there. That does not mean we havent encountered rough water but we drive her to suit the conditions. Going flat out into tight waves simply pounds the hull. We find that the less hammering the better for the boat and the occupants. The open part of Tin Can does get choppy.

This does not mean that I do not believe or support the complaints voiced in this post. I am just replying to Ram Rods query but a pressed alloy will never perform like a platey.

I must have got a good one

Regards
Chappy

Mindi
15-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Wayne, with 'pressed' boats with 3mm bottoms, or smaller, the bottom sheet is not welded to the ribs/gussets. Pressed boats with bottom sheets 4mm or greater, the bottom sheet is generally welded to the ribs/gussets.

The difference between true 'pressed' and 'plate' construction techniques is not in the look of the sides etc, but how they are built. Pressed boats are built hull shell first, using extrusions for seam joints, then the internal structure is added last. True plate boats are built like a traditional timber boat - a rigid frame structure comprising a matrix of welded stringers, barers, x-members, b/heads etc is built on a jig, and the hull sheeting is added last.

Just because a boat has flat sides doesn't mean it is a plate boat. There are many 'hybrids' out there - combining both construction techniques in some way or another. Trailcraft are one of them. There are also many pressed boats with flat sides & bottoms (with maybe one chine & gunnel pressing to stop rippling) that are sold as plate boats, but they aren't.

cheers

Absolutely...and "plate" boats are usually made from 5083 alloy which is too brittle to press, but welds very well......pressed boats with corrugated ridges in the bottom are made with a softer more workable alloy than 5083 allowing the longitudinal rigidity folds to be put in. There are lots of pressed boats out there with flat sides pretending to be "plate"

black runner
15-08-2008, 08:17 PM
It is my understanding that pressed hulls have floating frames, meaning that the hull is not welded to the frames, it is also my understand that trailcraft which has a plate hull with pressed sides has floating frames, unlike a true plate boat which either have frames and stringer construction (welded to the hull) or welded longtitudinal stringer construction favoured by the Kiwis.

Could someone comment?
Cheers W

Trailcraft seem to be a hybrid (and well built) and sit between the pressed and full/traditional plate construction. There ar e some good pics about their construction below and they do have stingers and a mix of welded/floating frames

http://www.trailcraft.com.au/tough/tough.aspx

Ram-rod
15-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes Ram-Rod I am happy with my 2003 model 385 explorer.
I power it with the suggested outboard 15 h.p. The plate says 10 to 25 reccommended 15h.p.

We have installed a suspended floor so we do not walk on the bottom of the boat and regularly inspect for cracks etc.No signs yet and no water intrusion.

We use the boat as an estuary and bay boat as thats what they are intended for.

The eclipse shaped hull is not designed or intended for the open waters and therefore is not used there. That does not mean we havent encountered rough water but we drive her to suit the conditions. Going flat out into tight waves simply pounds the hull. We find that the less hammering the better for the boat and the occupants. The open part of Tin Can does get choppy.

This does not mean that I do not believe or support the complaints voiced in this post. I am just replying to Ram Rods query but a pressed alloy will never perform like a platey.

I must have got a good one

Regards
Chappy

I think i must have a good one too. Hervey Bay kicks up as well but can't handle pounding in any boat...I do not usually go afr just the same. plenty of fish to be had on close reefs and around the islands.
regards
Russell

BOMBIE
18-08-2008, 09:42 PM
CORRECT Mindi 5083 plate is 250+ mpa where as pressed 'MARINE GRADE ' is only 96 mpa and some "pressed " PRETENDED to be plate